1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Jesus a Zealot?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ulsterman, May 3, 2005.

1. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

According to Luke 6:15 Simon, one of Jesus' disciples, was a Zealot. It was also in a climate of tension that Jesus must have been executed, tensions brought forward much due to the Zealots and their actions.

Some scholars have pointed towards facts that indicate that Jesus must have been one of the Zealots. The clearest indicator was his execution on a cross, a punishment the Roman authorities used for political rebels.

Another indicator is the cleansing of the Temple in Mark 11, which expresses attitudes in accordance with the Zealots'. A third indicator is that the disciples carried arms (Mark 14:47), at least part of the time.
    Since Jesus was a Jew, it stands to reason He must have belo nged to one of the groupings around in Israel at the time.

Some suggest He emerged from the Zealots, but changed central parts of their ideology. Partiovularly in His application of the Law and the way in which He associated with sinners and people outside the Law.

Any ideas?

2. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think those scholars are wrong. Jesus Christ is perfect. He came into a world of rebels, preached the truth and was crucified.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I disagree with the theory, I don't think the zealots of the late 1st century are necessarily the same as the kind indicated by "Simon the Zealot." They did gradually become more extreme.

Jesus may have shared characteristics with the Zealots, but obviously, he was not in lock-step with them.

Untangled, your post has nothing to do with the original topic. Jesus Christ WAS a rebel according to the Jewish leaders of his day--that's why they wanted to crucify him--he threatened their power and their religious system. To them, he was a blasphemous troublemaker.

Was he perfect? Yes, but he was still a rebel. You can't live according to the guidelines of a sinful world without compromising your integrity. He HAD to rebel against his society in order to be perfect and to stand up for God's cause.

4. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    StefanM,

You misread my post. It has everything to do with the topic. I did not say that Jesus was not seen as a rebel, I said He was not a rebel. He was the one in the right. I would not catagorize Jesus with the zealots myself. I know that it was not the original intent of the post to say that, instead it was to provoke thought.

My post was relevant to the topic. Again, I was stating that I did not think Jesus was a rebel or a zealot.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, thank you for the additional clarification.

As far as the term rebel goes, it is relative.

Someone must be rebelling against another entity.

Which entity is Jesus not rebelling against?

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus was not a Zealot,

Zealots used violence to achieve their aims which history shows us resulted in the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD.

During the time of the Maccabees, the Zealots also killed their opponents within the Temple on several occasions.

Jesus was not a Zealot because his whole teaching of turn the other cheek is exactly the opposite.

Now was Jesus an Essene? That is a possibility although unproven! [​IMG]

7. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

It is possible that the Essenes and the Zealots formed an alliance, as there are many similarities — especially in terms of opposition to the established society. It is even possible that the Essenes and Zealots were branches of the same organization.

Still, Jesus surely must have belonged to one of the Jewish groupings. He wasn't a Pharisee, and certaibnly not a Saduccee, I can't see Him as an Herodian, so that only leaves the Essenes and the Zealots.

8. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

The fact that Peter had a sword has always puzzled me a bit. The answer is in there somewhere, when I was cowman in Wales I used to have a sheaf knife strapped to my side, a rather nice Puma White Hunter, I used it for various things around the farm and at milking time.

http://www.knifestuff.com/puma/hunter/pu116375l.jpg

Was Jesus a Zealot, yes for sure but not maybe as the Zealots of the day, who had a form of knowledge but it was not 'enlightened'.

David

9. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

It should be remembered that whilst the Zealots desired the overthrow of Roman occupation, not all of them were violent men.

The "Sicarii" or "daggermen" did carry out killings of Romans and those Jews suspected of sympathising with Rome, but they were a faction within the Zealots and not representative of the whole party.

10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget that while the Zealots were some of the bad guys, being zealous isn't wrong. Paul was zealously persecuting Christians, but later he was a zealous apostle - zeal is not wrong, it just has to be directed in the proper direction - God :)

11. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter......" Jesus Christ was and still is GOD....therefore the label "zealot" or "rebel" is not fitting to use in reference to Him.He is our Lord.

Greg Sr.

12. David Michael Harris

I am zealous for that [​IMG]

David

13. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I agree at it is wrong to call Him a rebel, probably wrong to make him one of the Zealots, but to say He was a zealot? Didn't Jesus command the lukewarm Laodiceans to "be zealous"? And assuming He practiced what He preached wouldn't that make Him a zealot?

14. David Michael Harris

Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!

It is like the precious oil on the head, running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron, running down on the collar of his robes!

It is like the dew of Hermon, which falls on the mountains of Zion! For there the LORD has commanded the blessing, life forevermore.

David