1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was Mary a surrogate or did she contribute her seed to Jesus??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Was Mary a surrogate or did she contribute her "seed"/DNA to Jesus??

Eliyahu posted in the Mariology thread something that I had never heard of and was wondering what everyone thought. He states that Mary did not contribute her seed to Jesus because then the "Word could not become Flesh". That Mary was just the vessel to carry Jesus in and that He was fully formed only by God's hand.

You can read more on that thread.

But I was just wondering where this belief comes from because, honestly, in 35 years of being a believer, I've never heard this argument before.

#1 annsni, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  2. standingfirminChrist

Mary was nothing more than a surrogate mother to our Lord and Savior.

A woman does not provide the seed, but the man. In Hebrews, we read a key verse that states "a body thou hast prepared for me."

Scripture tells us the Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary and she conceived. God placed that seed, His seed, in the woman.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What about the prophecy from Genesis 3:15 "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

There it speaks of Eve's seed and I know that's a prophesy of the Messiah.

Did Jesus have no DNA from Mary? Was He really human?

#3 annsni, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  4. standingfirminChrist

"her seed" is merely a prophecy of the Christ... you are correct. Not an actual seed she provided.

The Hebrew for seed in Genesis 3 carries these definitions:

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
    2233. zera`
    Search for H2233 in KJVSL
    erz zera` zeh'-rah
    from 2232; seed; figuratively, fruit, plant, sowing-time, posterity:--X carnally, child, fruitful, seed(-time), sowing- time.

See Hebrew 2232

Because of who Christ was, and how He was conceived, we know 'X carnally' cannot apply. A woman does not carry the actual seed, but the man, so truly the only word 'seed' can mean here is the word 'child'. That child was the prophesied Messiah... the Savior of the world.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But then Jesus was not of the lineage of David and He would not have been of Adam's race.

6. standingfirminChrist

Jesus was still of the lineage of David.

Mary was of that lineage. Joseph, who was basically Jesus' foster father, was also of the lineage of David.

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Think through the implications of what you are saying: if Jesus wasn't descended from Mary, then He wasn't descended from Adam either; in what sense if at all can He be said to have been human? And on what basis do you put forward an allegorical interpretation of Gen 3:15? I thought fundamentalists were against allegory!

8. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Clearly there’s a reason why God chose a woman to participate in the Incarnation. If not, then why didn’t God just speak His Son into fleshly existence in the desert and have Him ride an ass into Jerusalem?

What’s concerning me is that there are a few BB members that are clearly promoting a heresy and the BB administration has yet to address this…Well, I did leave the Baptist Church for a reason…

ICXC NIKA
    -

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

A baby gets half of his chromosomes from the man and half from the woman.

IMHO, that is the 'seed' and Mary was not just a 'vessel', but did indeed contribute her "half".

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Makes sense to me...

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Then where did Adam get his seed from?
    I think it's dangerous to suggest Jesus was a genetic combination of God and Mary. Jesus also never addresses Mary as "Mother", but "woman".

love,

Sopranette

#11 Sopranette, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam wasn't born.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The Bible does

14. MichelleinPA

MichelleinPA Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well God refers to Mary as Jesus' mother - and that's good enough for me.

Matthew 2:13: And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is more microbiology in that statement than we find in the Gospels. How pray-tell can we conjecture at a level that the Bible does not specify?

in Christ,

Bob

16. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

This is fascinating. I would like to do a poll on this question but don't know how to set one up. Would any of you younger more computer savvy people be interested?

17. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Does that make a difference?
    The problem is, there has never been a birth anywhere like the birth of Our Saviour, so we are not really able to conclusively solve this mystery.

love,

Sopranette

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

However, Scripture says that He would be born of Eve's seed and of a woman (that would be kind of redundant if it was just that He would come out of a woman - because He certainly could not have come out of a man), and of the lineage of Abraham and David. If He was not part of Mary physically, then He would not be able to claim this lineage. "seed" refers to a physical heir - not an adopted heir. While I am my parent's child, because I am adopted, I am not of their "seed". I cannot claim to be of the lineage of their parents in the same way that a child of their own could. Jesus was fully human in that He had a tie to a human - Mary. He was also fully God in that He retained His deity here on earth. If He did not have that physical tie to Mary, He could not claim to be human.

19. MichelleinPA

MichelleinPA Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Exactly!!!

20. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

I talked to my SB friend this morning (whose dad is an Independent Baptist minister). She said that to deny Jesus is Mary's biological son is to change the nature of Jesus from being fully God and fully human to God manifested as a human, but not actually one with humanity.

#20 mrtumnus, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.