1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Watchman Nee

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ray Berrian, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I have a personal friend in Towaco, N.J. who knew Watchman Nee. I never heard anything unothodox said about this apparently great man of God. Rev. Dr. Moses Yang in said town above can answer any of your questions. While in Bible College I read a book called something like "Twelve Baskets Full," which seemed to be spiritually deep, at that time for me.

If you really want to know the truth, call information in Jersey and his wife will probably be there to take your call. Dr. Yang is an international evangelist and has a seminary in or near Towaco for would be pastors and Christian leaders. Dr. Yang also has started many church in N.Y., New Jersey and in major countries of the world.

If you heard something negative about Mr. Nee it is probably false, at least to my understanding of his witness in the world. I do not know if he is more Calvinistic or Arminian, but apparently has touched many people in his lifetime.

Berrian, Th.D.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Watchman Nee met with the "exclusive" Plymouth Brethern. As I recall, he was an ultradispensationalist. ChiCom prison might have scrambled some of his thinking.

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

In the book, "Watchman Nee" 'man of suffering' Barbour publications says that his grand father was a Christian in China and that they were Methodists. He broke with denominationalism having come to believe in baptism by immersion and because said church claimed to keep the names of those whose name were written in Heaven. Nee believed there was only on Book of Life and that was in Heaven. His home was in Foochow. 'It is customary for the Chinese to choose a new name at a turning point in their lives. When he committed his life to Christ after his family's return to Foochow, young Henry Nee changed his name to Nee To sheng, or in English, Watchman Nee.' p. 23

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

5. JohnB

JohnB New Member

I have read a good bit of his writing and his biography, by Kinnear I think, and I believe he was quite orthodox. But then, many who are out of the mainstream or are "unusually" passionate, are often accused of unorthodoxy. Most of the Plymouth Brethren have been so accused at one time or another. Read Broadbent's Pilgrim Church to see how "orthodox" Christianity historically decides who is unorthodox.

Of sourse, there is Witness Lee, a follower of Nee's, who developed the "little flock" movement, seen by many as a cult. He is very authoritarian.
    I think some confuse Lee's errors with Nee.