1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Way of the Master...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mike McK, May 31, 2006.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

For a while now, I've heard people talking about the Way of the Master radio show but I've been skeptical because (a) it seemed from what people were telling me, that it was just more watered down pop-theology and (b) because I'm a little distrustful of celebrities who get saved and then think they're preachers. (Gary Busey and Willie Aames, anyone?)

But then, last week, while I was on vacation, I heard a few minutes of the show. From the few minutes that I heard, it appears to be OK doctrinally and pretty compelling in the way that they share the Gospel.

I know that a lot of you have heard me mock Kirk Cameron for a lot of things (mostly his horrific acting abilities), but I think now that I may have been wrong.

Right now, I think I could go either way. On the one hand, it sounds like good stuff. On the other, I'm still a little wary.

Has anybody else heard this show? Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Everything I have seen and read has been positive. I think Cameron and Comfort have a solid method of presenting the Gospel to people. And you have to respect their boldness.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Ive had the same attitude as you, but I think this time it's different. I saw Cameron on O'Reilly a few weeks ago, and he gave a solid testimony in the brief moments he was given.

Ive also seen the show 'Way of the Master' and I watched very critically. I practically looked for things to disagree with, and I came away liking the show. I think they are providing a valuable service in getting a wider group of believers out there witnessing for Christ.

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Granted I have not watched very many of their shows, but what disturbed me about one in particular that I did watch was how they handled a person that did accept Christ.

Now I can only go off of what was shown on the screen as we don't have insight to behind the scenes or anything, but this particular gentleman made a profession of faith after visiting with Kirk. Kirk bascially said that's a great decision and now you need to find yourself a Bible believing church and then the guy walked away.

To me it is disturbing that they would just let this guy go out into Christendom without any kind of guidance or direction. There is no telling where this guy ended up.

Now I don't know if they made a point to contact him after taping, but if they did they needed to make that a point of the viewable show as well, because discipleship is a HUGE part of someone being saved by grace through faith. That is not the end of the road, but merely the beginning point.

Far too long evangelism has been like gunmen in the old west. When we get another one we just mark it down on our belt and move on to the next :( And we can see the result of this in a lack of discipleship across America.

Again this was just one experience from one show, but it was enough for me that I didn't watch any more and if I do watch now it's just for a brief moment if something catches my attention.

Hopefully that was a rare slip, and if so someone that watches more consistently can help with that by all means.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

OK, I've come to a conclusion.

I'm listening to a replay of yesterday's show over the internet.

In fifteen minutes, they've taken a chainsaw to the Roman Catholic church, Christianity Today (or, as they call it, "Christianity Astray"), CCM, the shallowness and vapid, repetitious lyrics in what passes for worship these days, gays, liberalism in the church, paraphrase versions of the Bible, the idiots behind airport security, Matt Lauer, and political correctness.

This is tremendous. I love these guys.

6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member