1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WE might as well get this out in the open...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Feb 11, 2007.

1. johnp.

johnp. New Member

You might say it is a valid argument but I couldn't possibly comment. (but probably will)

You boast of scripture yet again, John 3:8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
    Scripture says you do not know where I am coming from. :) Your defense is not good not like mine, I have the full suit. A few chinks maybe but good. :) The Lord gifted it to me.

I did not say it was an invalid argument did I? Understand what, my own point? You jest? Not only do you say I know nothing about scripture, which is patently untrue, you then try to darken minds by saying I do not know what I'm thinking. Cool man.

Anyway, continuing along this line will lead the thread away skypair.

john.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You don't even know what the argument is, so how can it be bad?

Anyone that thinks God is the author of sin telling anyone they don't know their Bible is quite funny :laugh:

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

If he called them `gods,' to whom the word of God came--and the Scripture cannot be broken... John 10:35.

Just to remind you webdog: You said if we mirrored God perfectly then we would be gods. That is what God calls us so we must mirror God perfectly.

Carry on, I'll retire to watch and learn. :)

john.

4. fear of the lord

fear of the lord New Member

Soul Salvation

I new to BB so take it easy on me Mr. Larry but in reply to your last comment how do you place 1 Peter 1:9 receiving the end of your faith the salvation of your souls.

5. wayne7301

wayne7301 New Member

It looks to like it is not just man that has a soul...

Job 12:10 In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.

Rev 16:3 And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

This scripture cannot be talking of man, man doesn't live in the sea

Below soul and spirit are mentioned as two different things in the same scripture:

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

I am far from a theological master (or even much ability in learning...lol), but if scripture mentions soul and spirit as seperate, other living things are shown as souls. However only man and heavenly beings are mentioned having a spirit.

I guess I would have to say (in the original text) soul and spirit are not interchangeable, and that it is our spirit, not our soul that sets us apart from the beasts.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

This is poetic language. The heart does not have thoughts and intents. The Word of God does not literally divide joints from marrow. Therefore I wouldn't use this verse to determine whether or not soul and spirit are two different things.

7. wayne7301

wayne7301 New Member

But we would never think of joints and marrow being the same, even in poetic the writer assumes the reader knows the difference between the two things being torn assunder. The joint connects the bones that hold marrow. So why would we say the soul and spirit are the same? They are two seperate things connected in our selves (same as joint and marrow) If the writer believed them to be the same I don't see why he would have used the same type of comparison as joints and marrow (two seprate things).

I am asking. I don't claim to know.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Poetic language doesn't have to be perfectly symmetrical. Thoughts and intents aren't as different as joints and marrow, either. The point is that the Word of God is so sharp it can divide two things one normally doesn't think of dividing. That's the point of the language, and it comes across quite well. It isn't a lesson on whether or not soul and spirit are the same or different.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep riding this hobby horse despite repeated warnings that it is not orthodox; the three persons of the Godhead flow from the nature of God Himself and all are equally co-eternal.

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man is both dichotic and trichotic.

Man is dichotic: material and immaterial.
    Depending upon how specific you need to be, the immaterial being can be further divided into "soul" and "spirit".

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The material can be divided into natural and unnatural (such as cotton vs. polyesther).

12. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said that before Abraham was I AM. He also said that no man has seen the Father. In making those statements, Jesus said that He is Jehovah

Genesis 1 (NKJV)
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
    3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.

John 1 (NKJV)
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

We see here that all three members of the Godhead were active in creation.

Hebrews 13 (NKJV)
    8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

Jesus is always was and always will be the Son of God. IOW, He is the eternal Son of God.

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good answer.