1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Webpage Editor Programs..

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Tonya R, May 26, 2003.

1. Tonya R

Tonya R New Member

I'm looking to start publishing and I need to know what type of web page editor to look for.
    I was doing the old geocities and theirs was great because I could move pictures around so easily. But theirs is a free web hosting and i don't want that anymore.
    I'd like an editor that will allow me to move graphics and pictures as close to one another as possible. Any ideas?

Tonya

2. JourneytoEndure

JourneytoEndure New Member

Hello, just a suggestion but you can check download.com or search engines for a free web page creator with a WYSIWYG editor? (WYSIWYG=What you see is what you get)

I was looking for something similar at one time but I use Frontpage on another computer (and I know just a little html so I use a free html editor)

3. Tonya R

Tonya R New Member

Journey,
    I have front page express on this puter. My question is, can you move pictures around freely? Say you want to move a picture southwest on your screen 1/4 of an inch, will it let you?

Tonya

4. JourneytoEndure

JourneytoEndure New Member

hmmm. I am a beginner at this but I think it should be possible. (Maybe someone here can better explain?) When I use microsoft front page I usually drag the image where I want it. I have had problems at times getting it exacly where I wanted it and I use tables or other sample web page layouts but it's kinda complicated. Sorry.. I thought you were looking for a WYSIWYG editor?

5. blush

blush New Member

I think it might benefit you to learn HTML... it seems really really confusing at first, but I kind of taught myself bit by bit, just by looking at pages I liked and figuring out how it was done. It gives you a lot more control over what's on your page.

Dreamweaver is also good for an editing program though, if that's what you're interested in. Not sure about cost. I've also used Adobe GoLive, which was pretty good as well.

6. Tonya R

Tonya R New Member

Blush and Journey,
    Thanks. Journey thats exactly what I was getting at. Those pics won't go exactly where I want them.
    Blush,
    I know just a tad bit about HTML. What in specific would get my images to be more manageable?

Tonya

7. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

Learning some basic html and css would be a good idea. Using a cascading style sheet you can more precisely control the position of text and images. For tutorials try this:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/

If you still want an editor, you can try OpenOffice.org which is a free office suite that comes with a HTML editor. I haven't really used the HTML editor but it looks like it has at least basic WYSIWYG functions. You can get it from:

http://www.openoffice.org

8. blush

blush New Member

for arranging stuff exactly where you want it on a page, there's a few different ways... tables are one option, frames are another, and div layers are probably the most accurate... depends on what you get along with best, I guess. I could write out a really elaborate frameset in one go and have no errors, but with tables I'm sometimes completely baffled [​IMG] I do like using div layers - basically you specify where exactly you want something to go, for example, 49 pixels from the side and 83 from the top, or whatever.

Everything I didn't figure out myself I think I learned at htmlgoodies.com, so try looking things up there.

9. Tonya R

Tonya R New Member

Dualhunter,
    I'm ecstatic. Thanks. Now I am getting somewhere.
    You too Blush. I don't exactly what frames are, but I do know about tables. Tables are more cumbersome, but I have heard that tables load slower is this true.
    Anything else you can tell me, please I'm begging you. If you like you can send it to my email [email protected]... The effort is really appreciated..

Tonya