1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Well-written: The problem with Obama & unions

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Feb 16, 2010.

1. targus

targus New Member

The people that I associate tend more to be business owners and many of them are skilled trades men - carpenters, plumbers, electrician.

That is not my experience. We must associate with different types of people. Perhaps the ambitious people are not "down in the bottom of the briar patch".

Successful people are out working hard and stay with it until they do succeed.

I am aware of a few here on the Baptist Board.

I am a CPA by training but left the firm that I was with to start, build and then sell a successful business.

When I was an employer I paid my workers a percentage of amount that I charged to my customers instead of an hourly rate. I did not pay over time and I allowed them to work as much as they wanted.

The ones who wanted to work made far than they could have working anywhere else and far more than they could have made doing the same work in a union shop.

The ones that did not want to work eventually went away.

Why would any employer want to have an employee that doesn't want to work very hard but still expects above average pay just because he joins a gang?

Like I said - you wouldn't belive it anyway.

So after saying that you would believe it you end the very same post by saying that you wouldn't believe it.

Frankly it matters not a whit to me what you believe.

Since you never took a shot at it success your opinon on the subject means very little.

I have much more respect for the person that tries and fails and then tries again and again then I ever would for the guy hiding at the bottom of the briar patch.

BTW - why do you assume that I am white?

#21 targus, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  2. billwald

billwald New Member

>Frankly it matters not a whit to me what you believe.

Ditto

>Since you never took a shot at it success your opinon on the subject means very little.

I'm retired, everything is paid off, and my pension pays twice what I need. I don't need to be the richest person in the graveyard.

>BTW - why do you assume that I am white?

Statistically most probable.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

'Cause you can't jump? :D :D

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

John Stossel just kicks Unionbama in the face on this subject:

http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/02/16/what-union-leaders-really-think/

And then Neal Boortz really gets after him:

http://boortz.com/nealz_nuze/2010/02/union-mentality-1.html

He points out that unions of today are sleazy...but the public sector employees' unions out-sleazes them all...

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Why are GM and Dodge in such trouble? Just look at any picture of a worker in one of their factories. What emblem are they wearing on their uniforms? Is it GM or Dodge? Nope, I always see the big UAW emblem as if it is the union who is giving them their pay check.

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

All of that ignores the evil "the man" engages in, which is also condemned in scripture, but that side of scripture is never cited in these issues; only the ones used to try to keep the little people in line.
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1525521&postcount=19

But then, I guess, since you even compare this to "God sent the Babylonian Exile, but Babylon was judged for it", then I guess it is your Puritan Calvinism at play, and being a prosperous owner/manager is apart of election (and I guess covenant theology too?), as they apparently actually taught! Makes sense and explains everything. Nobody deserves the protection, they deserve to be at the mercy of God's chosen capitalists who can do no wrong, even if it looks like it.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not the unions or the companies that are evil it is the people that run them.Blaming companies and unions is just silly. Of course the less we have of God in our society the more evil it will be.