1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Westcott and Hort

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

JRG,

is this enough documentation for you to realize that KJVO will go to any lengths to protect their claims, even flat out lie?

If not, I will PM Brian and get the rest of his post where he showed the quotes of Peter to be grossly mangling the words of W&H.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WESTCOTT AND HORT RESOURCE CENTRE

3. PeterAV

PeterAV New Member

I knew you guys would revert to finding the odd error,instead of seeing it for what it was.
    I don't think you folks are actually advocating that every single example is wrong,now ,would you?

Many Days-interesting words eh?[Acts 16:118]

Acts 16:17 Truth? Or evil?
    It is the motivation of the heart,me thinks.

PeterAV

4. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Mr. Peter you have yet to show us the documentation for all those quotes.

5. Askjo

Askjo New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Did Charles and Dean read 5 books by W & H?

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know. If they did, they only scratched the surface; Westcott wrote at least 24, and there are his collected letters. Hort wrote at least eight.

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, thou thinkest wrong.

The "quotes" are so garbled and elided it's hard to find what they are really referring to. Of course, there are no references to help one find the original sources.

A lie in the service of "truth" is still a lie, and one might expect more integrity than such lists demonstrate.

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

PeterAV said:

I knew you guys would revert to finding the odd error,instead of seeing it for what it was.

You mean slander? No, we saw that too.

There's nothing odd about KJV-onlyists making errors. That's perfectly normal.

9. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Those quotations are unbelieveably reliable and a real Bible Believer could manufacture two dozen that are just as true.The hand of the Illuminati is unmistakable in this.
    The real Westcort and Hott,being stooges of the Anglican arcbishop, were first sprinkled as babies before receiving their new evangelicall education at Oxford or Cambridge,which are nothing but Roman Catholic with some religion added for "window dressing".When the conspiracy was done with them ,they were kidnapped &held in the Tower for the Rest of their life ,whereupon two Jesuit imposters took their names and began secretly working for the Pope.
    It was the Jesuits who produced these false "Bibles" and the other works of Westcort and Hott. The mystery of iniquity doth already work.
    Those are the fax, end of story. Refute it if you can, Alexandrians. Haa you can not!!!

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Still waiting for original documentation instead of biased second hand sources and commentary.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You forgot to add Calvin and Luther.

12. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Pipedude and Peter,

We are still waiting on that documentation. If you were both honest men/women, you would scarely be able to contain yourselfs from posting the documentation to silence us. I will be honest, when I am asked to document some error about a KJVO author, such as happened on THIS VERY BOARD, which many will remember (regarding Riplinger), I did not wait to do so. In fact, I have never ONCE witheld documentation asked of me, because to do so would greatly weaken my case. In fact, I am unaware of any logic behind doing so.

Therefore, if you are making posts and witholding the documentation asked, there must be a reason.

I will go on record and say that Peter is not documenting these because he already posted them on BVDB, and several people did the work and looked them up, and showed him to be a fraud. I will document that by providing the date his post was submitted, which was Aug. 28th of 2005. So, if you want MY documentation, simply visit BVDB and either ask someone for the link, or search go back a few months to find it.

THAT is how people know you are telling the truth. Perhaps if KJVO knew what intellectual honesty was, this wouldnt happen.

But alas, it will happen again, cuz Peter will not provide the documentation for these quotes.

13. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

So, if you want MY documentation, simply visit BVDB and either ask someone for the link, or search go back a few months to find it.

Or, better yet, allow me to post the link to the thread: August 28th '05.

14. Forever settled in heaven

i wonder what kind of evil's been exuded.

:p

just an example of the anti-WH type of slander up with which we've been putting. :p

n the stubborn refusal to deal w the evidence already presented by the WH Resource Centre n others.

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's another one:

#33)Each Christian is in due measure himself a Christ..Christians are in a true sense Christs,anointed ones.W

Not an exact match; the quote may be conflation, or from some other work, but this is on the same topic:

The Historic Faith, p 53 (emphasis added)

16. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

Westcott - Hort do NOT represent the the "Majority Text" tradition.

Westcott - Hort DO represent the Alexandrian tradition. That is, Westcott - Hort use the OLDEST available manuscripts... which INVARIABLY come from EGYPT... whose DRY climate preserves them.

FOR THE RECORD, and I challenge and dare you ALL to assail and disprove my assertion:

blaming the Majority Text family for being younger than the Alexandrian...

which fact arises only because the Majority Texts are drawn from wetter climates in Turkey, Greece and elsewhere around the Mediterranean outside of papyrus-preserving Egypt's dry climate...

is exactly like blaming a malnourished Ethiopian for being short, just because he grew up in leaner times. See what I'm saying?

Quote-unquote "Tradition"... that is, the Majority Text family favored by the Eastern Orthodox and which undergirds the Textus Receptus which in turn undergirds the Authorized Version 1611... IS a "Tradition" because the scribes in the Orthodox East, and everywhere else outside of Egypt...

HAD TO REPEATEDLY RECOPY THEIR MANUSCRIPTS BECAUSE THEY RAPIDLY DETERIORATED.

GET ANGRY WITH ME AFTER, A-F-T-E-R, AFTER YOU GROCK THIS CONCEPT PLEASE. (!)

One more time! WHY are the Alexandrian manuscripts way older? WHY?

Because Egypt has a dry papyrus-friendly climate!

And one more time! WHY are the Majority Text family manuscripts way younger? WHY?

Because everywhere else has a wet papyrus-ornery-mean climate!

And yet one more time! WHY are the Majority Text manuscripts subject to a "Tradition"? WHY?

Because 1000s of scribes over 1000+ years had to painstakingly copy and recopy and re-recopy their rapidly decaying manuscripts in their sopping wet papyrus-hating climate!

(I'm exaggerating this somewhat, the Majority Text family manuscripts are still 100s of years old, just not 1500 years old.)

THEREFORE!

When you willy-nilly throw aside the ::quote-fingers:: "Tradition" of the Eastern Orthodox Majority Text family of manuscripts...

You are DISSING the hard work of 1000s of scribes across the Mediterranean Christian world who labored for over 1000 years to, if you will, light torch (new manuscript) from torch (old manuscript) to keep the Flame alive!

People!

1000s of scribes... across over 1000 years... MULTIPLY THE TWO, THOUSANDS BY THOUSANDS... and you are talking about MILLIONS OF MAN-YEARS OF HARD WORK by those scribes you so flippantly dis!

Hate me A-F-T-E-R you grock this concept!

You are casting aside and dissing MILLIONS of MAN-YEARS of EYE-STRAINING, HAND-CRAMPING HARD-WORK on the part of those countless scribes in countless places for century after century after century after century!

All in favor of a comparatively TINY handful Egyptian Alexandrian manuscripts.

That is what Westcott-Hort do when they favor the ooh-la-la "Old" Alexandrian manuscripts over the Majority Text handed down to us by MILLIONS OF MAN-YEARS of scribal labors of love.

AFTERWRIT:

One more thing. The Eastern Orthodox oh-no-oh-no-oh-no "Tradition"...

tells us that Lucian of Antioch is the oldest deepest root father of the Majority Text family of manuscripts, and that he wrote the original "Master Copy" in the late 3rd century. Lucian was martyred on 7 January 312 under the last-ditch persecutions of Maximinus after enduring many tortures and defending his Belief to the last.

Now, Westcott - Hort rely upon the Alexandrian manuscripts, to wit, the Vaticanus and Sinaiticus, both dating to ~350 CE.

Therefore, allegedly, according to pfah! "Tradition"...

The Eastern Orthodox Majority Text original Masters were actually older than the base texts (V&S) of W-H by about 75 years.

pfah! "Tradition". Tradition. Like, say, Matthew really wrote the Gospel attributed to him... and John was exiled to Patmos under Domitian... and the New Testament actually comes from the Messiah, really, trust me, it's "Tradition"....

How far do we want to go in dissing tradition, just wondering?

17. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Well, Jesus said and Quoted Duteronomy "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word of God" We need every Word in order to live ,and bread. So Wescott and Hort had I beleive a Latin Vulgate, correct me If I'm wrong or a greek manuscript, or something like that but what really happened, was :cool: that they found some writtings out of the trash can and made up their own Bible.

18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we surely must bow once again at the providence of God for making sure the authentic manuscripts were kept in just the right place to ensure their preservation. ;)

19. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Jesus said and Quoted Duteronomy "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word of God" We need every Word in order to live ,and bread. So Wescott and Hort had I beleive a Latin Vulgate, correct me If I'm wrong or a greek manuscript, or something like that but what really happened, was :cool: that they found some writtings out of the trash can and made up their own Bible. [/QB][/QUOTE]

God forbid that they should have used Greek manuscripts. What is the world coming to when people try to pawn off Greek manuscripts as the word of God? It's almost as if the stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The topic of this thread is Westcott and Hort, not how some manuscripts were preserved and some were not. Lets keep to the topic please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.