1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about Barnabas' Land?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lagardo, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

In Acts 4:36-37, Barnabas sells land and brings the money to the Apostles. These verses also tell us that Barnabas was a Levite.

Numbers 18:20 and Deut. 10:9 prohibit Levites from owning land, so why does Barnabas have land to sell?

Is the prohibition more against inheriting land as opposed to owning land?

Did Barnabas consider his land sin, and thus his selling it is an act of repentance?

2. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The Levites were given 48 towns together with their pasturelands, Numbers 35. They were given pasturelands for their own consumption, but not to be landowners with servants and slaves as the rest of the Israelites were. They were only to grow things for their own consumption and not allowed to profit by selling to others.

There was no problem with a Levite owning a field as long as it wasn't his main occupation.

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Thanks for the reference and clarification. I had thought that too, but then stumbled across a commentary which basically said it was an unanswered question as to how Barnabas, a Levite, could own land...which made me wonder.

It does seem to me, thought, that this act for Barnabas is somewhat significant in the light of his being a levite. On one hand, this is a levite giving and offering. Of course, it may also be a complete cutting of ties to any source of support or income for him as well.

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I've come across lots of errors and ill-founded presumptions in commentaries. This could be another one.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could have been land owned by Sapphira, or Sapphira's parents, unless Sapphira was also Levite.

6. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Am I missing a connection between Barnabas and Sapphira?

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Apparently you're not up on your soaps.

;)

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek: Sorry, bro. I was thinking of Ananias.
    Call me a case of diabetes absentusmindedus.
    Apologies.

9. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

No problem at all...I thought that might be what you were thinking, but I didn't know. I love to study these things in the historical context to see the full scope of what is being said.

For some reasone, the Holy Spirit lead Luke to tell us that Barnabas was a levite. What are the implications? A couple of things strike me here:

1) He would be accustomed to recieving tithes and offerings yet now he gives all he has
    2) By selling his land, he is making a total commitment. It would be difficult for him to go back to the levites later.

This has been a fun couple of verses to study this week.