1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about the IFB Baptist group?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems to be a BB definition. I've seen it as a sticky in the Translations/Versions page.

I'm well aware of the textual differences. IMO, rejecting every version except the KJV is, by definition, King James Only. It doesn't matter the reasoning behind the policy. I think you are making a distinction without a difference.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The definitions were framed that way by well-informed people for a reason.
    I don't use mv's except occasionally for comparison. I reject them for the same reason the website said. I would be greatly insulted and offended if you put me in the same category as KJVO's. However, I think you should not derail this thread, and start a thread in the versions forum on "What is KJVOism? You need to find out before you falsely accuse people.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ask the SBC readers here (and Tiny Tim) have you looked at Hamilton Squares web site? Brother Fall posted it up thread.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Oh Lord, you forgot playing cards and long hair!

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

---------------------------

#65 matt wade, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, how about these prime examples of such "legalism" and "Pharisaism":

Proceedings of the 1689 London Baptist Assembly:

Charles Spurgeon, Storm Signals:

#66 Jerome, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2011
  7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

First, get it right... It is not "community church" ------------------it is "metropolitan church."

Third, the IFB churches (and individuals who have posted publicly what they have posted publicly on the web are not my doing, nor my churches doing. They are what they are and I am not the only one testifying against them.

That is the nature of INDEPENDENT... What's so hard about that other than the fact that you have chosen to be offended by the actions of others who carry the same means of identifying themselves as you.

#67 glfredrick, Feb 15, 2011
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are about 10,000 IFB churches in the US. As you claiming to have first hand evidence, acquired through membership or personal contact with all of them to the extent that you can say that the legalism you observed is characteristic of all, or at least the vast majority of them?

If so please tell me when you were a member or a visitor to the IFB church I have pastored for the past 25 years and what form, exactly, this legalism took in this church. Please be specific.

Thank you.

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

According to you, you can find 20 web sites that slander IFB churches. I can find 20 that show that Community Churches support gay pastors. Therefore all Community Churches, including Sojourn Community Church, support and have gay pastors.

Yes, I do know you have gay pastors, by using the same logic that you use to slander IFB churches. I'm just playing by your rules. You are the one that said being able to cite 20 web sites makes the truth.

You have chosen to be offended by the actions of others who carry the same means of identifying themselves as you (Community Church).

#69 matt wade, Feb 15, 2011
  10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please list the IFB churches I have been associated with for the past 37 years that hold to any or all of the above.

Thank you.

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why can't you be honest? The name of the church(es) in question is "Metropolitan Community Church." See http://ufmcc.com/
    Yes, Community churches have gay pastors. See the URL above.
    Just as Community churches are gay churches.
    Yes, why do you falsely accuse the brethren? And why do you deny the horrible sin of the Community churches?

12. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Okay, I am confused. Maybe I am missing something. I went through the website that was listed in this thread and I agree that it is a incredibly misguided at best (there IS some truth that it presents albeit very poorly). Where I am confused though is that while it claims to be IFB and it lists the IFB top 1000 sites, I did not see anywhere that said it was presented or endorsed by any specific church or churches. It actually appeared to be the work of an individual or at most a group of individuals and not part of any IFB church. Yet this website that some person (not church) put up is being used as proof positive that ALL (at least that is how it is coming across) IFB churches are like this. I am currently in a SBC church. I have been involved with IFB churches in the past, I went to a (very) small IFB Bible college in East Peoria IL. I have seen some IFB churches that are very much like that website. I have also seen and been part of IFB churches that would soundly denounce that website and have been filled with incredibly loving, rock solid Christians. The bottom line is that if we are honest there are extreme fringes in any denomination and it seems that they are the ones that get the most press, but the reality is that most IFB churchs are not that way and it is wrong to continue to blanket the whole group based on a website that doesn't even appear to be endorsed by any church. If I posted a website like that and claimed it was representative of the SBC does that in fact make it representative of the SBC? Or if I posted a website like that and claimed it was representative of any other denomination or group does that in fact make it true? Or is the truth that I as an individual posted my individual opinions and then trying to get recognition claimed some type of affiliation? I guarantee that there are IFB churchs that would embrace this website, I also guarantee that there are those that would oppose it while holding to the bits of truth that are there. You simply CANNOT issue a blanket statement against all IFBS because of this website. Doing so makes you an accuser of brethren that you don't even know.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, unfortunately I can give you one right now that is about as kookie as you can get in Eastern Pennsylvania.....I will add to the list that girls cant wear sandals to picnics & camp events because the toes are exposed. Try looking at schools like The Ambassador Bible College in the Carolinas also loopie With Dr. Ron Comfort for starters. So whats that prove, that they do exist.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not associating you with these IFB churches. It's been my experience that legalism is a common thread with IFB churches. BTW, I'm currently attending an IFB church. The only traits I've seen (so far) is no alcohol, no men shall have long hair, and KJV preferred.

I might as well ask you to please list the IFB churches I've attended that don't hold to these positions.

#74 InTheLight, Feb 15, 2011
  15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Is this not precisely what I said in far fewer words?

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you are not allowed to say that! glfredrick says they are all legalistic and unloving and tinytim says they are "darkness." And because those two have been in every IFB church in the country and personally know every IFB member, they can't possibly be wrong. How dare you question their omniscience! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, we all know there are nut-jobs in all groups. The point is that tinytim and glfredrick are painting IFB, not a few isolated nut-jobs, as being as described above. Nobody has suggested these guys don't exist. We are questioning the broad-brush condemnation of all things IFB. I can find similar nut-jobs in the SBC, IFCA, OPC, etc. That does not mean I can broad-brush all SBC, IFCA, or OPC churches as legalistic or "darkness."

#77 TCassidy, Feb 15, 2011
  18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I am not condemning IFBs. I am defending the vast majority that do not practice legalism and/or pastoral dictatorship. I have never questioned your church. I have merely questioned the broad-brushing being done against IFB in general.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Dude, you really have a thing for gay pastors, dontcha... :thumbsup:

20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Here is my first post:

And, you dislike me enough to attack, attack, attack... Thanks for proving my point multiple times over.

And again, as I asked above:

DO YOU DISAVOW YOURSELF OF THE IFB WHO ARE REPRESENTED BY THE SITE I POSTED?

Or, are they your brothers and sisters in the faith, while you rip me up?

#80 glfredrick, Feb 15, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.