1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What about the IFB Baptist group?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Have any examples?

I live in Jacksonville, Florida. There are a plethora of IFB churches in this city. I've visited or know someone that attends many of them. I've only found one that I would consider legalistic. I'll call it out, it's First Conservative Baptist Church.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hmm, I spent most of my Christian life before Ireland in southern IFB churches. Though I don't agree with some of their imposition of standards I know that they are not, by any stretch of the imagination, in darkness.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Christ and Paul did NOT do was say "Christians are heretics and abusers." The problem with this thread is that two of the participants are saying IFBs are legalists, unloving dictators, and in darkness. Nobody has suggested that some, few, are exactly that, but what we object to is the broad brushing by saying that IFBs are such and so. What should be said is that some wacko IFBs, as well as some wacko SBCs, ABCs, NBCs, etc. are such and so. To broadly brush IFBs as such is dishonest, unbiblical, and ignorant in the extreme.

4. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Mathew 15:8-9 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mark 7:7-9 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Mathew 12:34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.(Not by works or standards)

1John 2:9-11 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now. He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes. (The cornerstone of Southern Fundamentalism is the condemnation & demonization of other churches & ALL non-IFB groups)

Gal 3:1-3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? (To which, if they were honest, the IFB's would say "YES!")

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: this is T's first post on this thread
    I never said that ALL IFB are to be painted with a broad bush. I never said your church is legalistic.
    But then again "legalistic" is a variaible term.
    I am sure there are standards in your church you believe to be Biblical, that other would simply see as legalistic. Doesent mean that either is necessarlily worng. Just a difference of opinion.
    And some of those differences, I can live with - some I will not.

From my persepective this is an insuitation that groups such as the SBC have a hierarchy - which is absoutely incorrect. It could be you did not mean it that way, but it appeared you simply painted a broad bush over non-IFB.

(note paratharises above are mine -for sake of saving space)
    Likewise, I as my church ( and many if not most of the Baptists on this board) also belive in the Fundamentals of the Faith your listed above.

So my question is "What in carnation are we aruging about?

If its standars - than we must realize that we each may have a different interpation.

I'm not sure if you commented on my previous post of certian activities, if so, please bear with me and just give a quick comment on the activities listed below.

Beards on Men
    Card playing
    CCM
    Christian Rock
    Dancing
    Long Hair on Men
    Mixed Swimming
    Movies
    Pants for womenEating in the church Sanactiuary
    Racial inter-marriage
    Secondary Seperation
    Short skirts on Women