1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are C.O.G.I.C. Churches?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jul 24, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Non-Denomational?

2. BD17

BD17 New Member

Church Of God In Christ

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

The Church of God in Christ is a rapidly growing Pentecostal denomination with episcopal polity. It is headquartered in Memphis, TN, and is historically and very largely African-American.

A friend of mine is fond of lamenting that the COGIC is larger than quite a few historically white denominations, but is overlooked by the media and by students of church life simply because it is a church of the disinherited (to use Richard Niebuhr's term) and is African-American ... therefore marginalized.

4. Link

Link New Member

Cogic

I had a friend in college who was a COGIC preacher.

COGIC has historically been an African American denomination. It is actually one of the largest now, if the stats I read several years ago are still true.

It is set up with an episcopal form of government. The denomination started out as a Holiness denomination and because a Pentecostal denomination (and still Holiness in theology as well if I am not mistaken) after the Azusa Street Revival.

In the early years of the Pentecostal movement, many white preachers got COGIC ordination to get preacher discounts on the railways as they travelled and preached. A number of the preachers who formed or joined the Assemblies of God organization had been ordained through COGIC previously. The Assemblies, though, resembles the Southern Baptists in how it is organised.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You can watch Pastor GE Patterson on the Word network on Sundays. I don't know his exact title but he is way up there in that organization.

I like parts of his message but he speaks in tounges and doesn't believe (I should say preach) in eternal security.

6. genesis12

genesis12 Member

As a Southern Baptist, I take exception. We are not organized. :tongue3: :smilewinkgrin:

7. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I knew what the acronyem was, I just didn't know what they were affiliated with, thanks