1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are the best Mormonism Resources?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JRG39402, Jan 5, 2007.

1. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

What are the best Mormonism Resources?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I know several people who have ministries to Mormons.

Bill McKeever's excellent site (he's a friend)
    http://www.mrm.org/

Cky Carrigan used to be with Interfaith Witness in NAMB (I also know him)
    http://www.ontruth.com/dissertationoverview.html

Excellent chart comparing Mormon God, Jesus, etc. with Biblical God, Jesus, etc.
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~bcmmin/b2.htm

Are Mormons Christians?
    http://craom.net/areMormonsChristian.htm

The link below gives the sources for where Mormon doctrine teaches certain things (which some Mormons may not know about or deny, such as teachings on polygamy)
    http://www.irr.org/mit/WDIST/Where-Does-It-Say-That-Main.html

Former Mormons site (not sure if they have all become Christian but might be interesting)
    http://www.exmormon.org/

Also try the CARM site at www.carm.org sometime. It's not coming up right now but on the menu you can find a link to Mormonism.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The Bible . . .

And stay away from them.

;)

John 1:1, Col 1:15-21, Philippians, Hebrews, etc. If'n ya' gotta mix it up with them. They are definitely hardened by their sin of rebellion against God.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Be careful of using anti-Mormon literature. The Mormon church has at least one major apologetics group that regularly searches for the latest anti-Mormon theology and building the strongest argument against Christianity (form mormonism).

They are aggressive.

They still blame the anti-mormons for the mormon wars. Ironic, most 'anti-Mormons' are former Mormons and know the hideous evil of that religion. Anti-Mormons are routinely persecuted for standing against the evil.

And to think that an idiot, backslidden baptist (cambellite) preacher was the agent of satan that built that evil religion. It would have been better for Samuel Rigdon had he never been born. Oh that he had been still born instead of committing that evil for satan.

#4 El_Guero, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have found this website to be a tremendous help in practical dealings with Mormons on a verse for verse conversation revolving not just around 'what' they believe but "How" to bring THEM to an understanding of the True Gospel and the Christ of WHich IT speaks.

http://witforjesus.org

It is also REALLY great for JW's as well.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, I know. I posted those links as information for the OP poster. He/she asked for resources. One has to be informed on the Mormon beliefs before witnessing, although the OP did not ask for witnessing tips. He/she just asked for resources and I posted some. :wavey:

8. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a couple of good books by Gerald and Sandra Tanner. Also see their website, Utah Lighthouse Minsitry,
    http://www.utlm.org/

The classic "Kingdom of the Cults" by Walter Martin is very good. Get the latest one edited by Ravi Zacharias.

A great resource for witnessing to mormons is your own testimony. Seriously. You see, they don't think you have one. And their view of truth is subjective..........that if someone has a religious experience, that is the final test for truth. So tell them of your genuine salvation experience.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I actually have found that the best witness was a complete understanding of the Early Church Fathers.

They really freaked out when I asked, "if the Holy Spirit was locked up after the Apostles and no one believed what you claim was locked up, how do you handle Arius?" And a couple of others . . . And I shared the True Gospel.

10. ~serapha~

~serapha~ New Member

Hi there...

:wavey:

There are a lot resources on the internet that will give you information concerning mormonism... When I wanted to learn about mormonism, I went to the source. I talked with the missionaries, asking sincere questions, and I went to the ward meetings to observe, attended classes in Gospel Principles, and went to Relief Society meetings. I never misled anyone into thinking for one moment that I was interested in conversion... but only in learning mormon teachings in comparison to other religions.

Most of the internet sites that have been provided are excellent... The Tanner's information is useful, regretfully Jerald Tanner went home to be with the Lord recently... but the work continues. Walter Martin's work is very good.

But... in witnessing to those in the CoJCoLDS's... it's best to avoid any references to anti- materials. If you can stay in the "critic" arena rather than in the "anti-" arena, your message will be more effective. As you have been also been told, there are various mormon apologetics sites, so more LDS are prepared for just about any questions...

Except in biblical archaeology. They will tell you that there are all kinds of resources supporting the book of mormon... but those same resources are not substantiated outside the CoJCoLDS... nor is the work done that is done by LDS archaeologists and linguists open for peer review. Meanwhile, the CoJCoLDS cheers the continued findings and applauds the continued works of such scholars.

~serapha~

11. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

A real classic is.......

ONE NATION UNDER GODS
    A History of the Mormon Church
    650 pages
    by Richard Abanes
    ISBN 1-56858-219-6

Full of sources for the info.

13. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

After three years of battling with my Mormon covert daughter and dueling with the likes of Daniel Peterson over Mormon doctrine, I have learned that it is almost impossible to make any headway with a Mormon.
    They have heard it all and have pat answers given them by their church site to every possible difficulty you might present them.

Most of it is insane and illogical garbage.

If you try to use scripture, be prepared to spend all your time defending Bible's reliability and accuracy, in spite of the fact that they claim to believe it.

Been there, done that... with much more at stake than anyone here. I lost.

As someone wisely said, "Stay away from them."

MR