1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what can you tell me

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dewey Sturgell, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Dewey Sturgell

Dewey Sturgell New Member

This question and or others is not to confuss or cause any discord among anyone anywhere. So to get started I have a few scripture that i dont get, the one is in Matthew 19:16 and, behold, one came and said unto him,Good Master,what good things shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 19:17 And he said unto to him. Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is God:but if thou wilt enter into life,keep the commandments The next scripture is in Acts 11:24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith:and much people was added unto the Lord My question is, if there is none good but save God then what is Acts saying to us about this good man if God is the only one??

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I think the understanding of these passages is rather simple. THere is, in a humanly sense, in which we all commonly call men "good." The man in Acts was a kind man, did good works, and was very generous and charitable. All would say this was a good man. The question the young man is asking in Matthew 19 is in relation to his relationship to God. The man is asking concerning his own goodness and righteousness being accpetable to an All Holy God for justification. No one is trully good in his/her essense but God. That is, who is "originally, essentially, indendently, infinitaly, and immutably" (Gill) good. Such goodness could be never said of any creature.

Acts is merely giving testimony to a man's deeds. Matthew is illuminating a conversation between a man and the Son of God in terms of justification and eternal life. Even the Apostle says, "For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God." Romans 4:2

I hope that clarifies the subject.

3. Dewey Sturgell

baptist feedback

Well you know I ask my pastor the same question after I had posted the question on the boardand he impied the same answer,so thanks for your thoughts and answer.

#3 Dewey Sturgell, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  4. Dewey Sturgell

baptist feedback

another question? I dont know what you will think of such a question but I have my own conception, When Christ went up on the mountain to pray and he told his disciples to go ahead of him and they sailed across the waters and arose the next day and Christ was there ; how do you think he got there?

#4 Dewey Sturgell, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2007
  5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe Jesus is pointing to His deity.

I mean, He didn't say "I'm NOT good! How dare you accuse me of being good."

Make sense?

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

There is a sense in which keeping the commandments leads to eternal life. That is, or course, if we keep them all and keep them perfectly.

Jesus is about to teach the young ruler a great truth: We humans can't keep them perfectly. For instance, young man, if you want to have eternal life, sell everything and follow me. Oops.