1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Did Saint Paul Really Say?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Jul 23, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I just thought I'd use NT Wright's book title at this point. But what did Paul say about Conversion?

a. Was Repentance a prerequisite to justification/salvation?

b. Is the statement that Repentance is the negative side of biblical faith scriptural?

c. When Paul mentions just faith in a passage, does he want us to also understand Repentance?

2. I'm of the firm belief that faith alone is a shorthand for Repentance and Faith as prerequisites to Justification/Salvation.

3. In Eph. 2:8 faith alone is mentioned, but when Paul was addressing the elders of Ephesus a few years earlier, we read, "διαμαρτυρόμενος Ἰουδαίοις τε καὶ Ἕλλησιν τὴν εἰς θεὸν μετάνοιαν καὶ πίστιν εἰς τὸν κύριον ἡμῶν Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν," "Solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

4. Unless, I am misreading Paul, it seems to me that this is what he preached before a person can be justified. Remember this is what he went around preaching among them (v.20).

5. Shouldn't Acts 20:20, 21 be taken into consideration as we read Eph.2:8?

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

a. I believe that repentance is a prerequisite to justification/salvation because repentance is the action of 'faith' whereby we are justified.

b. Repentenance is not the negative side of biblical faith. Repentance flows from true faith in Christ AND His Work and therefore positive as it manifests the Work of the Holy Spirit and His Word in our life.

c. I think Paul (when using only faith) expects the hears to already know (by his previous teaching and others) that there is no true faith without repentance, and there will be not repentence unless one has true faith.

2. I agree with you.

3. Again I agree.

4. I agree. :thumbs:

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

TCGreek,

Amen! I find 1Cor 15:1-3 to be Paul's best exposition of the gospel. "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;"

I believe that where Paul says "unless ye have believed in vain" is the repentance part. If you believed what Paul said but still did not turn to Christ in repentance, you received nothing -- you stand in nothing -- you are not saved.

skypair

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. By referring to Repentance as the negative side of biblical faith, I am addressing the fact that it means saying NO to a life of sin that was against God. Yes, it is produced by the working of the Spirit, but it has a negative aspect to it. At least, the is how I always understood the negation element.

2. Wouldn't Peter-Cornelius encounter correspnd to the faith/repentance that is involved in conversion? Peter preached that "Everyone who believes in HIm receives forgiveness of sins" (Acts 10:43), and then those in Jerusalem, upon hearing the conversion of the Gentiles, Cornelius and his, "they had no further objections and praised God, saying, 'So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life'" (11:18, TNIV).