1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do we mean by the "old paths"?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by uhdum, Feb 24, 2004.

1. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I hear often the term, "Let's go back to the old paths," pointing to a scripture in the Old Testament.

How far back are these "old paths?" As I am actively involved in music, I often here the term used when referring to music. I found this usually refers to around 50 years or so. However, this term is also used in many other areas of theology and Baptist faith and practice, such as the position of Bible versions (here it usually refers to around 400 years).

These aren't the only areas; I mention these two specifically as an example; this "old path" terminology can probably be found in most doctrines and theology that we as Baptists hold. Just wondering how far back these "old paths" really are.

God bless

2. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

Primitive Baptists do not employ musical instruments in worship. Our meetings consist or only preaching, praying, and singing. We do not hold Sunday Schools. We do not participate in antiscriptural methods of spreading the Gospel (e.g. Mission Boards, Tract Societies, Bible Societies, etc.). We do not pass "tithe" plates or have "altar calls." The Missionary Baptists departed from the faith in 1832, although they make it seem the other way around.

3. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

In my experience most often the "old paths" or the "old-time religion" equals personal preferences. As you mentioned, if we are returning to the old ways we had better move further back than 50-75 years.

4. Molly

Molly New Member

Our pastor has preached on this exact topic and when he refers to the old ways,the old paths,he is referrring to sola scripture...the bible and its teaching being the main emphasis of church life...as opposed to the way the churches in general have changed...more seeker sensitive,program focused,less Bible,more what people want....the down grade has been so accepted that we don't even notice the subtle changes.Instead of seeing God's Word as what works,we have accepted everything else and the down grade has taken over... soon we are so far from scripture that we do not even know it.

5. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

So he is only about 1500 or so years beyond the "old" ways.

I bet I can guess where your pastor stands on The Passion as well [​IMG]

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, PB. For additional information, who are the missionary baptists ? Is "missionary baptist" a term we use in a generic sense ? Or is this a term where me mean a specific group of baptists. There are Missionary Baptist churches, you know.

Back in 1832, were there no Southern Baptists, or Northern Baptists, or Fundamental Baptists ? Were there just Baptists, and were Baptists at that time and before one in theology (Doctrine of Grace) and practice ?

Just wondering.

7. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

I meant primarily the Missionary Baptists, but it very well includes any Baptists (Primitive included) who would adopt such unbiblical pratices.

8. Rock

Rock New Member

9. Preacher Ron

Preacher Ron New Member

Jeremiah 6:16

Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

The old paths is the path that leads to heaven, it's that strait and narrow way that's in Matthew 7:14 [​IMG]

Preacher Ron