1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What do you say about this?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Tazman

Tazman New Member

True people think such things when something doesn't fit in with their preconceived ideas.

But the wrong place to go in thought is:

I'll make it fit or find some one to tell me what it means

or What if the bible is flawed?

or God didn't mean that...

This line of thinking will creat false bliefs based more on ideals rather than on scriptural fact

Actually a lot of people on this board have this problem, but they have a solution to protect their broken theology. They manipulate the passages and make other scriptures null and void by their own conjecture.

We don't have to MAKE anything fit together. But if we just Elevate Christ teachings above the apostles, then we will question the right people instead of questioning Jesus.

Here are a few keys to approaching scripture:
    1. Pray
    2. Approach scripture with a clear slate (no preconceived ideas). This will help you avoid the common mistake of reading your assumptions into the passages
    3. Start with the teachings of Jesus
    4. Give each verse its litteral meaning within context
    5. Keep in mind that the scripture could never mean what it never meant (this may seem like a no-brainer, but its important)
    6. read other passages in light of Jesus' teachings
    7. When confused after searching primary sources then consult secondary sources (this will not include your 14th and later "scholars"). Go to the people who were taught by the apostles: The Early Church Bishops and elders prior to 400 AD. Find our how they viewed these issues with "struggle" with todays christianity.
    8. Finally - REJECT any line of reasoning the deems any scripture null or void.
    These are good tools to start with.

#21 Tazman, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  2. AAA

AAA New Member

Jesus Christ did say that we will know them by thier fruit, Howevre, we Can't work to be perfect, it is God that will make us perfect in HIS sight by the BLOOD of JESUS Christ and what He has done on the cross to pay for our salvation.

We strive for excentlence, but we will only be perfect when we see HIM.......

Slavation is by God's GRACE, not our works...............

:godisgood:

3. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Excellent answer, short and sweet.

4. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Why? Because you don't like him or because he doesn't agree with your theology?

I have listened to a lot of his sermons and I haven't yet discovered anything which rang my alarm. In my opinion he's a great preacher and also very knowledgable. :)

@ DQ

http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.a...ection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=Dr.^Alan^Cairns

5. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

How is this supposed to work? Did those early christians write commentaries to every bible verse where you can simply look up every verse you don't understand?

6. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Not every bible verse needs to be explained, however, they spent a lot of time refuting heresies of the early gnostics who called themselves christians. The funny thing is most of the arguments christians have today they had directly against gnostics.

So with that said I would recommend a book called "A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs"

The following link will take you to a few pages of its content:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1565633571/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-6285432-7299117#reader-link

This historian doesn't add his commentary to the writings, all he done was to take the time and compile comments they made from surrounding different topics like the one you started here.

The book is well worth it.

You can read most of the writings he reference online.

7. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

This might be interesting but it's too bad that you cannot look up topics like healing,tongues or baptizm of the spirit. It would interest me if the book says anything about these things.

I also would like to know how much the modern theology of conservative christians differs from the theology of the early christians.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Step 1 -- listen to God's Word not DQ not Cairns.

Step 2 -- pay attention to the details.

Step 3 -- do Steps 1 and 2 in an attitude of prayer not gaming.

Notice the "detail here" -

Paul says "do not be deceived" and then shows the correct view -- a view that DQ and a few others here would not be comfortable with --

But if you stop trying to "make the bible fit your views" and just read and accept it - then as James says "you become an effectual doer" and not a "judge of the Word of God"

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is DQ's approach -- mine is to accept the Bible instead of having to try to figure out which texts to run away from.

Just accept the Word of God - instead.

In Christ,

Bob

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

For the nth thousandth time, being saved by faith alone and inheriting the kingdom through obedience are two different things. But I know that we cannot accept that a person might be saved and yet still be punished for sins, so we are going to go round and round about whether or not saved people can sin, or if certain sins will cause you to lose your free gift of salvation. Round and round and round and round.....

11. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Oh, it differs a whole lot in many respects.

I'll Post some qoutes later... and PM You

12. Tazman

Tazman New Member

The Following are writing from Irenaeus (the pupil of Polycarp - and Polycarp the pupil of Apostle John). :

We ought not, therefore, as that presbyter remarks, to be puffed up, nor be severe upon those of old time, but ought ourselves to fear, lest perchance, after [we have come to] the knowledge of Christ, if we do things displeasing to God, we obtain no further forgiveness of sins, but be shut out from His kingdom.
    3. Thou wilt notice, too, that the transgressions of the common people have been described in like manner, not for the sake of those who did then transgress, but as a means of instruction unto us, and that we should understand that it is one and the same God against whom these men sinned, and against whom certain persons do now transgress from among those who profess to have believed in Him

XdiscipleX - you can read his entire message at the following link or similar:
    http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.vi.xxviii.html

I added the following for comparison:

41844184Rom. iii. 23. Paul said, “For if [God] spared not the natural branches, [take heed] lest He also spare not thee, who, when thou wert a wild olive tree, wert grafted into the fatness of the olive tree, and wert made a partaker of its fatness.”41854185Rom. xi. 17, 21.

Also, the book I posted to you earlier is more detailed the the clippings you were allowed to view online. You have to buy the whole thing. He catagorize grace, baptism, prayer, heaven, hell, etc. It really is a dictionary that is quite helpful.