1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what do you think about gluttony?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

Gluttony is a much more subtle sin than alcoholism. I was guilty of the sin of gluttony for 12 years. I had an eating disorder and would eat unbelievable quantities of food in periodic binges. I would then fast and exercise for two or three days to make up for it, and the cycle would begin again. At 5'4" tall and 115 pounds, no one would have guessed that I was guilty of gluttony, but I was. This addiction nearly destroyed my health and my marriage.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that having an alcoholic beverage is a sin and gluttony isn't. Having an alcoholic drink is not a sin; having a cookie is not a sin. Excessive consumption of either is a sin.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The simple fact of the matter is:
    If your input of calories is greater than your output of calories you are on your way to becoming fat. You can take it from there.
    DHK

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Tim, I haven't had a piece of real apple pie in almost two years.

I've had gluten free apple pie and I gotta tell ya -- It AIN'T the same. Actually, it's just down right nasty!

soooooo next time, please eat a piece for me and tell me how good it was, pleeeaaaassssseeeeeee!

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

LeBuick! It's been years since my name (I see it right there "SHE") and precious were mentioned in the same sentence! This is a moment I'll cherish :tongue3:

(It's usually -- She can do and say the most ridiculous things! :D )

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Now -- back to the topic at hand (or a feeble effort at return) . . .

Gluttony would be a lifestyle, would it not? AND the only way that I've noticed that lifestyle changes can occur is by personal self-will (well we all know how well that works) or with the help of the Holy Spirit after conviction that there is a need for change.

I've got some very rotund pictures of myself that I could share from about six years ago. I'll refrain, however. I knew I needed to lose weight for my health, but it wasn't until I felt convicted and it became a daily part of my spiritual life that I was able to loose the weight.

I still struggle with it too btw, it's never gone. We do have to have food to live so we can't go cold turkey.

Now, is there a difference between over eating and gluttony? -- I think there is. Just as there is a difference between self indulgence and hedonism. I can over eat and not be a glutton. I can certainly over eat occassionally and it not hurt anything except my intestinal tract. And really, does anyone need desert? No, but the cook got a great deal of pleasure in making it and sharing it. I've had a great deal of pleasure in eating one or two and sharing that fellowship (or shop as the case may be ;) ).

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

Right

How dare anyone have the gall to tell us that drinking alcohol is a sin and eating more than our bodies need is a sin!

Just because the Word of God forbids us to partake of alcohol. Just because the Word of God tells us to refrain from eating too much. What do those prophets, kings and Apostles know anyway? Who are they to tell us how to run our lives. They don't know what we have to put up with. They don't live in our time.

Hogwash!

I bet if Jesus Christ came back today and stood on your door and told you drinking alcohol beverage was a sin, I am afraid many of you would slam the door in His face calling him a legalist, or an idiot, or some other word that would be derogatory to His nature and character.

#66 His Blood Spoke My Name, Sep 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
  7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Whoa! I've got to take exception to this. Not because you aren't entitled to your opinion and interpretation of Scripture, because you are.

BUT this kind of statement impunes the character of the person you are addressing. AND to that I do take exception. People are not going to change their minds to your way of thinking because you speak to them in this manner.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His Blood Spoke My Name - if you're going to throw a fit about me bringing food into the conversation in the alcohol debate, why can't you refrain from talking crazy about alcohol in the food debate?

9. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My definition of gluttony is a lifestyle of obvious excessive overeating on a regular basis.

Here is a response from a friend of mine:

----------------------------

You are exactly right. Gluttony is a sin. Anytime we place anything before God in our priorities it becomes a sin, whether that thing is good or bad in and of itself. For example, it's a good thing to love our wife and our kids. But if I place them higher than God in my priorities, scripture says that I'm wrong.

I will go a step further and say that I don't believe the healthiness of the food has anything to do with gluttony. I mean, I could commit the sin of gluttony on food that is super healthy for me, if I think more of that food than I do God.

Some people use examples of hypocrisy and "doing wrong" such as this to totally stay away from any church. You know who they are. Simply put, they are wrong. That's just a cop out and an excuse to try to make themselves feel better for not going to church.

My point is that when it comes to God and my relationship with Him, ultimately I am only responsible for me. I cannot control how other people act and I don't allow other peoples actions to influence or control me. I can try to teach them differently, but cannot make them do anything.

So with all of that being said, if we've got an obese out-of-shape preacher in the pulpit telling me how to live, how much attention am I going to pay to what he says? Not much. It's obvious he can't control his own lusts and it's very possible that he has his priorities messed up.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

OK! I get it, now. (Glad your friend does, as well.) Thanks! He means like Charles Haddon Spurgeon or Dwight L. Moody. :rolleyes: Oh, and don't forget Spurgeon's cigar! :D

Ed

#70 EdSutton, Sep 1, 2006
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to add that all obesity is not a result of gluttony. Genetcs play a bigger role than most people recognize.

12. Pete

Pete New Member

.....so just out of interest as I've been on this schtoopid diet for 2 months or so and hungry for most of that time does that now make me the holiest one here? :D

(.....although sharp increase in bad temper probably cancels most of that :eek: .....oh well :rolleyes: :smilewinkgrin:)

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Pete, I was on my last diet for two months! I lost eight weeks!

Ed

14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a side comment about you guys going hungry on your diet... diets aren't about going hungry. You would actually lose more weight if you were on a plan if you weren't hungry. If you starve yourself, your metabolism plummets and goes into an energy saving mode. Diets should be about eating right, not starving. That is why do many fail, people go hungry then they don't get the results they expect.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When losing weight, I eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day. Trust me, not only are you not hungry, you get tired of eating every couple hours. This does, work in addition to limiting (not eliminating) carbs, and choosing the right kind of carbs. Protein intake is crucial if you are working out and exercising daily.

Sorry to derail the thread...that was the personal trainer training me coming out...

16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... along with a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein ... :)

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not for me, at least. When dropping weight I use a formula I created called 100/50/50. I eat my bodyweight in protein (215g), half of that in carbs...the kind of carbs make a huge difference... (100-150g), and half of that fat (50-75g). Once the weight starts coming off, I adjust the carbs upwards and the fat down. This is not for the average person, as this was my body building routine following a gain cycle. Divided amongst 6 meals daily, and that's more food than you realize. This has worked well for me, and has kept me from "starving" while losing weight.

#77 webdog, Sep 1, 2006
  18. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But there's no way your body can absorb that much protein is there? I think there's no way at all, even if you were a bodybuilder and had the accompanying workout. It would just go right down the toilet. This may be wrong, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that even Arnold himself has said that guys eat way too much. I'm about 170 and I've seen formulas that say I need about 85 (half my bodyweight) for normal day to day stuff and light exercise, and even if I'm working out strenuously I only need 2/3 of my weight, or about 115 grams.

When I want to lose a little weight, I get on my bike and ride at 20 mph for 2 hours straight. :)

#78 corndogggy, Sep 1, 2006
  19. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you, bike riding is an excellent source of exercise.

On the other hand ...
    we've GOT to find you a hobby, corndoggy! You are predisposed with things you cannot control.
    IMHO, you could spend your opinion energy doing something worthwhile ... like reading your Bible, or praying. I try to apply this to my own life.

#79 PJ, Sep 1, 2006
  20. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

1. I already have too many hobbies. It just doesn't seem like that because my mind simply goes 120 mph and I can type even faster... even with proper speling! ;)

2. I for one thank God that everybody doesn't think with the same doom-and-gloom attitude. Some of this stuff CAN be controlled, but it takes alot more than me to do so. All I can hope to do is attempt to point some of this stuff out in hopes that some people will open their eyes and realize what is going on.