1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does a pastor do in a week

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by gb93433, May 29, 2005.

1. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

For GB9433

2nd post

I am not saying they don't work, just saying that it is great to be in full time ministry yet many complain and grumble unless their r people are praising them or falling all over them it seems at times.

3rd post

I am just not buying that the ministry for the most part is so rough today. That preachers are overworked.

What I am saying is that it doesn't matter to me that’s great that pastors have privileges or liberties that most don't have on their jobs.

4th Post

I was talking about the perks of being a pastor. Hey there are some jobs that have more perks also. CEO's who travel for the company and use the air miles for personal travel, or they get a free transportation etc.

Other post of mine.

SBC I am not saying good or bad pastors. What I am saying mostly is that today they are well taken care of. It is a good "job" if we may call it that.

I am just saying that it is a good job and MOST do not make much of a sacrifice. I am not saying that they shouldn't make good money. A pastor that has to struggle with finance and his church can pay him so that he doesn't have too, is in my opinion is not much of a church. No, pastors deserve a good pay as much or more then others. And not all pastors fit in the same mold. I know that.

Tim

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Ok we are going in circles. You are right, I am wrong, lets move on. :rolleyes:

3. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I think that the ministry attracts some of the best and worst Christians around. Surely we must agree that many seek this profession because of the opportunities to be lazy; however, we must also agree that for someone dedicated to serving the Lord, the ministry is an incredibly hard job to accomplish.

4. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Ok we are going in circles. You are right, I am wrong, lets move on. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]PastorSBC don't be that way. It is not that I am trying to be right. I am trying to get those on here to realize I did not say pastors were lazy or did not deserve good or GREAT pay. I was trying to say, IMO, it is a good job. As a christian I would love to get paid for what a pastor does. Do you feel that I am trying to degrade pastors, cause if you are then I am not conveying what I want to say.

Man, it seems like we are always butting heads.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

actually, Tim, I thought you were degrading pastors too. Seemed like you were feeling that its a cushy job where the schedule is too flexible. Maybe we just misunderstood the tone of your posting.?

Now, boys, Tater doesnt like fussing, so you boys will need to go to your rooms until you are ready to shake hands and make up. [​IMG]

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Life is so easy for pastors? Apparently you have never been threatened with physical harm. I have. If I sat in my easy chair at home and preached sweet Jesus in church then I would have never had one single bit of adversity like you claim.

I can tell by your response who have done little or no ministry ouside of the church building. A person who does evangelism would not write what you do. Life today for a pastor is exactly the opposite of what it once was. It is demanding and the complainers are many more. Peope today are lazier than ever when it comes to working in the church. People today do not respect those in authority such as police, teachers, professors and pastors. The only thing they respect is those like Enron. They like easy cash and leisure time.

You seem to think I am lying to you. I have been on both sides of the fence. I have been in business for several years and pastored for awhile. I never pastored a church that grew less than 20 percent. You don't do that kind of work by being lazy and only working eight hours a day. The only people I have had tell me that pastoring is easy are those who are the complainers and do nothing. I have never had one of those spend an entire day with me. No doubt I would have worn them out. I wore out a few of them on the roof of the church in one day. They came to chruch sore the next day.

I have heard many older and retired preachers say that today they are glad they are not pastoring because of all the demands.

Any older pastor will tell you that the work is more demanding today than it has ever been. There is more divorce and in general more problems in society. There was a time when a person could hang out a sign and get a church going. Not so today. There are many more unchurched people today than ever before.

On my job now (just like you) I have every weekend off. Know any preachers that can take their families camping every weekend if they like?

7. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

[/qb][/QUOTE]Life is so easy for pastors? Apparently you have never been threatened with physical harm. I have. If I sat in my easy chair at home and preached sweet Jesus in church then I would have never had one single bit of adversity like you claim.

I can tell by your response who have done little or no ministry ouside of the church building. A person who does evangelism would not write what you do. Life today for a pastor is exactly the opposite of what it once was. It is demanding and the complainers are many more. Peope today are lazier than ever when it comes to working in the church. People today do not respect those in authority such as police, teachers, professors and pastors. The only thing they respect is those like Enron. They like easy cash and leisure time.

You seem to think I am lying to you. I have been on both sides of the fence. I have been in business for several years and pastored for awhile. I never pastored a church that grew less than 20 percent. You don't do that kind of work by being lazy and only working eight hours a day. The only people I have had tell me that pastoring is easy are those who are the complainers and do nothing. I have never had one of those spend an entire day with me. No doubt I would have worn them out. I wore out a few of them on the roof of the church in one day. They came to chruch sore the next day.

I have heard many older and retired preachers say that today they are glad they are not pastoring because of all the demands.

Any older pastor will tell you that the work is more demanding today than it has ever been. There is more divorce and in general more problems in society. There was a time when a person could hang out a sign and get a church going. Not so today. There are many more unchurched people today than ever before.

On my job now (just like you) I have every weekend off. Know any preachers that can take their families camping every weekend if they like? [/QB][/QUOTE]

You couldn't be more wrong! I feel the anger you are writing with. All my life I have been in the ministry. Since I was a kid going to the mission with my dad. My resume would no doubt outshine yours. And know what?! I have never been paid for the ministry. 2 years ago I was working 7/12,s and still teaching a college ss class at church. Right now I am teaching 5/6 grade boys and a young married class. I have been involved with the teens in our church for 12 years, worked awana, sang in the choir, I am also an usher right now, ran the basketball league and many others. There has not been a time since I can remembe that I was not in some type of ministy, while even working 40-80 hours a week. So take your whining somewhere else and don't peg those that disagree with you as lazy and complainers. As far as outside the church what do you mean. I have gone from door to door, stood in front of adult theaters giving the gospel to those who wouild listen. My father stated two churches while I was growing up, and yes he had been threaten(only dif between you and him is that HE loved his job! thought it WAS the best on earth. He is 76 and still preaching.). I have worked a bus ministry in the projects here in Detoit. I have taken the teens street preaching in the worst parts of Philidelphia, New York, Holyok Mass. I drove a bus to Detroit on sunday mornings 60 miles to Detroit to pick up people for the halfway ministry, I could go on but since I am sure you see that your anger does not make what you say so I will stop for now.

#2 I mentioned I was a union rep! Guess what. I had people EVERYDAy calling me all kinds of things. Was in a fight 3 years ago that was pretty ugly.

Simple statement to you whether you agree with me or not....I care not. If the ministry for you is so rough and scarey then your butt don't belong there.

#3 Did have a pastor who is no longer with us who did go camping everyweekend. Most pastors I know go during the week, for the week.

It seems that your anger shows that something ain't right. For a Pastor to react like this after my last post I think shows one who thinks more of himself then he ought and most likeley knows it.

Prov. Let another praise thee and not thine own lips.

[ June 06, 2005, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: Timtoolman ]

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Yes ma'am Tater.

Ok Tim, I am sorry for getting sarcastic. Let's move on.

(Extending hand for a handshake) [​IMG]

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My resume would no doubt outshine yours. And know what?! I have never been paid for the ministry. 2 years ago I was working 7/12,s and still teaching a college ss class at church. Right now I am teaching 5/6 grade boys and a young married class. I have been involved with the teens in our church for 12 years, worked awana, sang in the choir, I am also an usher right now, ran the basketball league and many others. There has not been a time since I can remembe that I was not in some type of ministy, while even working 40-80 hours a week. So take your whining somewhere else and don't peg those that disagree with you as lazy and complainers. As far as outside the church what do you mean. I have gone from door to door, stood in front of adult theaters giving the gospel to those who wouild listen. My father stated two churches while I was growing up, and yes he had been threaten(only dif between you and him is that HE loved his job! thought it WAS the best on earth. He is 76 and still preaching.). I have worked a bus ministry in the projects here in Detoit. I have taken the teens street preaching in the worst parts of Philidelphia, New York, Holyok Mass. I drove a bus to Detroit on sunday mornings 60 miles to Detroit to pick up people for the halfway ministry, I could go on but since I am sure you see that your anger does not make what you say so I will stop for now.

You got me beat by at least 18 years! I can’t say I have been doing ministry all my life. I met Jesus at the age of 18 before doing ministry. Those are good things you are doing. Without Him I am nothing or would be nothing. I cannot put any I’s in my ministry. It is His working in and through me. It is probably a good thing you are not paid for ministry because you would get lazy, make too much money and have too much leisure time on your hands like other pastors. Just think of how much your current ministry would exist if you were the senior pastor of a church.

Simple statement to you whether you agree with me or not....I care not. If the ministry for you is so rough and scarey then your butt don't belong there.

You are right. There are many today who are not pastoring today because of other reasons than just rough and scarey. Some have been preaching the gospel and doing what Christ commanded but their church would not let them. Just take a look at Jonathan Edwards. In the church I attend there are six.

Wasn’t it you who mentioned the ministry was so easy and pastors do not have it very rough compared to older pastors. Isn’t it funny how many older pastors I have had tell me quite the opposite.

Pastors really do have it easy. Truly you do believe the harvest is much and the laborers are many. There is just not enough work to be done for the pastors today.

It seems that your anger shows that something ain't right.

You are right. It angers me when others in their self righteousness condemn any man who does his best and tries to do what God has commanded. Read the first paragraph of the part you wrote. I was just trying to get your attention. But apparently I failed to apply Prov. 25:11,12 to a listening ear. Remember who said that pastors have lots of freedom and can pretty much do things that others in the congregation cannot? Somehow, you forgot to read the part about the fact that I have been on both sides of the fence. I can speak from experience. You cannot.

Prov. Let another praise thee and not thine own lips.

Always good advice. Before you belittle pastors, be reminded that you are not and have not walked in their shoes. You know, there are some who post on the BB who left their high paying jobs just so they could make more and have more leisure time and let al the people like you do all the work. When I started pastoring I was not able to even able to afford rent with my high paying job. Pastors are paid so much that at one time I refused an almost new car because I couldn’t have paid the license and insurance. Pastors get rich off of people like you. It is only people like you who lead churches and do all the work while the pastor sits home and watches TV. Nobody does as much work like you do.

I thank God for my pastor who preaches the word and tells people what they need to hear. It would be good if the next time you meet a pastor try remembering Phil. 4:8.

10. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Yes ma'am Tater.

Ok Tim, I am sorry for getting sarcastic. Let's move on.

(Extending hand for a handshake)
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sounds good to me pastor. I am sorry also for any unchrist like attitude by me on here. Time for a group hug.

NOW I'll see you over at the sports forum! ;)

11. patrick

patrick New Member

I have been vol, partime, and fulltime ministry is not easy. There is so much pressure to succeed that you work all the time.

Family time is a luxury many folks don't understand. They feel like they can call you anytime and you should give them yourself. I have a son and i coach his soccer and baseball teams. People get mad when I schedule around him. My 1st ministry is to my family. If not I fail.

People want you at their beck and call 24/7. Ministry isn't easy. I have been at all levels and I will tell you a vol doesn't understand what a staff person goes thru.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Aw, you guys are great. Tater approves. Now no fussin' in the sports forum, neither!!!!

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many understand your plight. If you keep up the pace you will burn out. Eventually your family will let you know and you will simply say it’s not worth it.

God gave the instruction in His word for church growth. A few years ago George Barna wrote a book and it he wrote about a church that went to Willow Creek and came back doing everything they did. The church grew from 50 to about 500 in one year. But then the next year it went back down to 50. My thoughts are that God will be God and He will not be mocked by our methodology of instant evangelistic programs. He still uses people to reach people.

When you get wore out and tired read http://www.bibleteacher.org/Dm118_8.htm
    If you do what the article suggests your growth will be slow at first but will be exponential.

14. patrick

patrick New Member

My biggest critic is myself and I am hard on myself. I have such a burden for the lost. I don't go into methodology as much as i follow the Spririt.