1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does ETERNAL mean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Amy.G, Feb 4, 2010.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I look through the tunnel of my Bible at the glory of my Lord Jesus Christ, who grows brighter every day; every day that I spend time with him, all the time I learn more of Him and He talks with me through His Word, and I talk to Him through prayer, His glory only shines brighter. I walk with Him; He walks with me. And the blissful fellowship is beyond description. That tunnel that I look through is the Bible; God's revelation to mankind. He talks to me through it. There is no other book I would rather have. It guides me. It is my compass in my life. Yes indeed, I am looking through that tunnel all the time, and at the end of it is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

And if by looking in the Bible, and having my eyes focused on Jesus Christ and Him alone, you conclude "I have lost all ability to reason," than you are badly mistaken, and I feel sorry for you.
    The Bible teaches that salvation is one act, one time, one place, when a person trusts Christ as their Saviour. I can remember watching my daughter's birth. I can remember the umbilical cord being cut and tied. It is done only once. It will never happen again to my daughter even if she strongly wishes it to be so. She can't be born into this world a second time--just like Nicodemus asked (John 3:4)
    John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
    --It can't happen. Jesus said it can't happen. Nature says it can't happen. It won't happen.
    --The same is true when one is born again. When that person is born into God's family he can't be unborn. Neither can he be born again and again. That is spiritually there is only one new birth. And once one is born again he can not reverse the situation. He has eternal life and can never lose it.
    Salvation is thought of in three tenses not one. It is not culminated in its entirety until we hear those words well done thou good and faithful servant. We have been saved when we enter into salvation by repentance and faith. We continue in the faith as we walk daily in obedience to Gods Word, and our faith will be fully consummated when our faith turns to sight and we know Him face to face in the world to come. We have been saved, we are bing saved, and we will be saved.
    It is one act. I have never heard of birth being a life-long process. Are you being born all your life HP? That must be one long push by your mother! There is a reason why Jesus drew a parallel between natural birth and spiritual birth. They happen once; an event; one time; at a place, etc. It is not a long process, but an event in time. That is what salvation is like.
    Therefore he believes "You must be born again and again and again."
    Sorry, but the Bible doesn't teach that.
    It teaches that "the gift of God is eternal life." God gives that gift once. Eternal means eternal. If it is lost then it is not eternal and Christ is a liar.
    The Bible uses the term "saved". Obviously then there are those that are "not saved," or unsaved--Biblical terminology.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

But salvation comes by faith, by believing. Do you know how many Scriptures there are that say "believe not"? Verses like:
    John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
    --Those that "believe not" are those that are "not saved" or unsaved.
    I use the Bible. What book do you use?

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Shalom everyone!!

I haven't make post at Baptistboard for long time.

DHK, and others keep on ask question to HP, and BR, what is 'eternal' means.

Both HP and BR do understand what word 'eternal' means.

I was in OSAS shoe before for many years. I understand what in OSAS's view and understanding of "eternal life" such as passages like 1 John 5:11-13, etc. they interpreting this 'eternal life' of 1 John 5:11,13 that we already automatically have eternal life since after we believed in Christ at salvation, that means that we NOW already have eternal life. In their intepreting picture as unconditional security salvation. No matter when we shall sinned again in out life, we are ALREADY have eternal life since when after we BELIEVED in Christ at our salvation. That is called, 'unconditional security salvation'. As what lot of baptists believe in it.

To my understanding 'eternal life' of 1 John 5:11-13 speaking of our future final salvation at our death or Lord comes.

in Hebrews chapter 3 described clear about salvation and eternal life. It is conditional.

Heb. 3:6 says: "But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we IF we HOLD FAST the confidence and the rejoicing of the HOPE FIRM UNTO THE END."

This verse is not only speak to the Hebrews(Jewish Christians), but also include Gentiles Christians too. This verse applys to us all. It tells us that we are truly God's family as child, IF we HOLD FAST of our "confidence" and the rejoicing of the "HOPE" FIRM UNTO THE END." This is so very clear speaking of conditional. This telling us that we must endure with our assurance(confidence) and the rejoicing of the HOPE all the way till we die or Lord comes.

"Hope" is same with eternal life. It according to Titus 1:2 says: "In HOPE of ETERNAL LIFE".

Both 'hope' and 'eternal life' are future final salvation.

Of course, I know the word, 'eternal' means no end, it is always remain forever and ever..... Both BR and HP know.

But, we have to understand the context of the passages what "eternal life" is talking about.

Sadly, most of them were saved at the beginning, did hold their confidence and their rejoicing of their hope. But, afterward, they turn away from the Lord in the midst of their lifetime, and remain backslidding all the way in the rest of their life till death without yet return and repent back to the Lord again. Therefore, they are no longer remain in their hope and eternal life, they would be removed away according John 15:6; and Romans 11:19-23.

Throughout in the Bible teaching us very clear that our salvation is conditional, while we are still living right now. We must hold our eternal life throughout our life till we die or Lord comes. If we quit in the midst of our lifem and remain in sins without repent till we die, then we shall not be saved.

Bible teaching us very clear.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Good to see you back! What you share is the truth regardless of what others might envision or claim. I view the position of OSAS much like buying into a company selling fire insurance that is bound to go broke before ones house burns down. Of a truth, many will find themselves on the wrong side of God in the end that laid their hope in a doctrine, not being mixed with a conscience void of offense towards God and man.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, HATH everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death to life. Done deal! :jesus:

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Not so fast JK. Here is the Scripture DeafPostTrib offered. We would all do well to take heed.

We certainly should have confidence of our final end IF........

Heb. 3:6 says: "But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we IF we HOLD FAST the confidence and the rejoicing of the HOPE FIRM UNTO THE END."

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Context HP, Context! You ignore context.
    Explain John 5:24 in the context of John 5:24 and its surrounding verses. You don't need to go to the book of Hebrews to do that.

Then go to Hebrews chapter 3 and find out what verse 6 means by looking at the verses surrounding it. There is no contradiction. But you need context.

7. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yea,what DHK said! :smilewinkgrin: