1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does it mean to be Shamefaced?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Headcoveredlady, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

And if we understand what it means do we practice it or attempt to practice it?

I know that in years past I was not shamefaced. I was bold and brazen just like the Proverbs 7 woman.

I think being shamefaced is to be very modest, not showing off our bodies to men, (other than husband), being careful about our speech before men (and women), not holding the gaze of men other than our husbands, not being loud, not approaching men (generally).

The onine definitions of shamefaced are:

Main Entry: shame·faced
    Pronunciation: 'shAm-"fAst
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: alteration of shamefast
    Date: 1593
    1 : showing modesty : BASHFUL
    2 : showing shame : ASHAMED
    - shamefaced·ly /-"fA-s&d-lE, -"fAst-lE/ adverb
    - shame·faced·ness /-"fA-s&d-n&s, -"fAs(t)-n&s/ noun

Using this modern definition of bashful do you practice shamefacedness.

Using the old time definition from Websters 1828 dictionary:

Main Entry: shame·faced
    Pronunciation: 'shAm-"fAst
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: alteration of shamefast
    Date: 1593
    1 : showing modesty : BASHFUL
    2 : showing shame : ASHAMED
    - shamefaced·ly /-"fA-s&d-lE, -"fAst-lE/ adverb
    - shame·faced·ness /-"fA-s&d-n&s, -"fAs(t)-n&s/ noun

Do women need to practice shamefaceness or it is optional?

2. Headcoveredlady

Sorry,
    I copied the wrong definition from the Websters 1828 dictionary. Here is the corect one:

"Shamefaced:
    shamefast, held or restrained by shame. Bashful, easily confused or put out of countenance. A man may be shamefaced to excess.

Conscience is a blushing shamefaced spirit.

Your shamefaced virtue shunned the peoples praise.

Shamefacedly: Bashfully, with excessive modesty.

Shamefacedness: Bashfullness; excessive modesty.

Something extremely interesting I noted a few words down is the word SHAMELESS: Without shame, IMPUDENT."

That is interesting to me, because it means the same as one of the words used to describe the Proverbs 7 woman.

On a personal note I do try to practice shamefacedness in the way I understand the term.

3. hsmom3

hsmom3 New Member

HCL,

I agree with the definition that you have given as to what it means to you. I was thinking you meant perhaps that we should look glum and defeated all the time. [​IMG] I don't think it's optional at all. We can be modest, while having the joy of the Lord on our faces. [​IMG]

hsmom3 [​IMG]

4. Headcoveredlady

Amen, Hsmom, I agree with that. I have seen people men and women who do have the joy of the Lord on their faces and it is a beautiful thing.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I am the child of the King and He freed me from bondage. God has always freed people from their bondage. Why would He want us to be held or restrained?

"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."
    Galations 5:1

As for bashful, I don't think 'being easily confused' is a good Christian trait at all. Some people are so bashful they cannot even function in society.

To me, being shamefaced means to have a meek, gentle, and quiet spirit....period!

JMHO,
    Sue

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

If it is something you have to pratice then it is not real. It should come natural or it is only made up and put on.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

If you've been washed clean by the shed blood of Jesus you have nothing to be ashamed of.

8. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

so if for example i wanted to fornicate i shouldn't fight it but instead just "go with the flow" to avoid being a hypocrite?

9. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

how about continuing sin in the life of the beliver? one should feel no shame?

10. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

No. They should repent, confess and get on with their lives.

God forgives AND forgets...remember?

11. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

No. They should repent, confess and get on with their lives.

God forgives AND forgets...remember?
    </font>[/QUOTE]so there's absolutely no place for feeling bad about anything you do?

12. Headcoveredlady

I do agree with something you said that "confused" is probably not a good definition of shamefaced.

But, the Bible says that women are to be shamefaced. Why the disregard for His Word?

I personally feel blessed to practice being shamefaced.

What I mean by practice is that I do it. I don't hold the gaze of men. I do not flirt with men. I do not approach men. When men talk theology I stay out of it (in person).

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I would say the definition would be as put before by HCL, but the reasoning is different.
    I blush at things I never batted an eye at before or even joined in on before. Cussing and ludeness SHOULD embarass us! Lame jokes by the opposite sex about women should embarass us.
    So...my final answer. It includes having too much DIGNITY and a Godly spirit to find amusement or pleasure in crassness/ungodly things. Those are things that as Christians we are ashamed of now, to hear or participate in.
    Gina

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Could shamefaced also be spoken of as not proud and haughty in appearance? I'm thinking 'outloud' here.... Instead of ashamed, which we certainly are NOT, maybe this is kin to the Sermon on the Mount attributes....... Meek, Humble, Peacemaker, etc.

Any thoughts?

Diane [​IMG]

15. aefting

aefting New Member

According to Strong's concordance, the Greek word for shamefacedness is aidos, meaning "a sense of shame or honour, modesty, bashfulness, reverence, regard for others, respect." The primary idea in this verse is to dress with a due regard for shame, specifically the shame of not covering our bodies appropriately.

It really doesn't have anything to do with looking glum or ashamed, having a meek and mild spirit, or being proud and haughty. It does, I think, say you should dress with dignity and honor because dressing immodestly IS degrading and dishonorable.

Andy

16. Headcoveredlady

Amen to that! I also believe it has to do with how a woman conducts herself around others.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

so if for example i wanted to fornicate i shouldn't fight it but instead just "go with the flow" to avoid being a hypocrite? </font>[/QUOTE]So just tell me what this has pt do with being shamedfaced,and ashamed? I can't see how this has anything to do with the topic.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

how about continuing sin in the life of the beliver? one should feel no shame? </font>[/QUOTE]Again, this is not what this thread is about, I wasm on topic, you are not.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know who you are addressing, so I am going to answer.
    I do not disagree with God's word, but your personal interpetation of it.
    Whats the difference between in person in on the BB? Men are men, and theology is theology.

I ahve to say you are not very shamefaced on the internet. It should be something that is found in you all the time, not just in person.

20. Headcoveredlady

Whats the difference between in person in on the BB? Men are men, and theology is theology.

I ahve to say you are not very shamefaced on the internet. It should be something that is found in you all the time, not just in person.
    </font>[/QUOTE]This is something I have been thinking about. In another thread Dr. Bob asked about a woman's place. I felt hypocritical answering him.

I try not to teach the men here. And I never do in person.

Thank you for pointing that out. It is something to consider (continuing to be a part of this board).