1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does it mean to teach?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

As in "women shouldn't teach men."

What is the scriptural meaning of that word?

All of our words should be considered as ways of ministering to others, right?

So where does it stop when you say a woman shouldn't teach a man?

How about sharing your testimony? Testimonies definitely preach to people.

How about sharing the gospel with a man, teaching him about Christ and what he did for us?

Is it all okay if it's done outside of a Sunday service, or do special rules apply for Sunday mornings?

What if a woman is more learned than her husband. Say she's been a Christian for twenty years and he has been one for one year. Can she instruct him at home, or must she direct her questions about scripture to her new believer husband?

Just wondering how all this works in the typical mind of those who believe 1 Tim. 2 means women should not hold certain positions in the church.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, it's OK if it is done outside of a leadership role. So, yes special rules apply to it when it is done within a leadership role at the church. Matthew Henry puts it eloquently:

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word means to verbally instruct so as to influence the mind and will and behavior. In the context of I Tim. 2, it is referring to the leadership responsibility of elders in a church to instruct their fellowship concerning the things of God.
    Women should not assume the leadership roles of teaching men within the fellowship, concerning the things of God .
    Giving a testimony is not assuming a leadership position within the fellowship for the purpose of teaching men.
    Sharing the gospel with an unbeliever is not assuming a leadership position within the fellowship for the purpose of teaching men.
    No special rules apply for Sunday. Women should not teach or have authority over men in the fellowship at any time during the week.
    If she is very learned in scripture she will understand the biblical command for male leadership within the home and in the fellowship and pray her husband is a fast learner.
    This is how it works in my mind. I read a passage of scripture like I Tim. 2. If I don't agree with it, or it makes me mad or sad, or if I don't think its fair....

I change my mind to conform to scripture.

What I don't do is look for a way to dismiss the passage as not applying to me or attempt to change the meaning so I can ignore it.

peace to you:praying:

4. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

Those are words of wisdom right there. That's the attitude we should all have towards scripture.

5. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Canady, I'm curious if you think Priscilla was in error in her actions that Matthew Henry describes above?

Here's a link to what Dan Wallace says about it here. After his analysis, he has the rather unelegant conclusion that Priscilla instructed but did not exhort.

#5 Brandon C. Jones, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context? Neither elders nor church are mentioned in the chapter.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

In the context of 1 Timothy, I personally believe it refers to pastoral teaching.

#7 TCGreek, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  8. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know this was directed at Canady, But when I read the passage Priscilla did not teach Apollos by herself, she accompanied Aquila who was her husband. She was not in err if she was in submission to Aquila's authority. Nothing more needs to be explained when the scripture is read for what it says.

9. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hi John,

I don't think that will work for the discussion above. The passage in question in Timothy involves two distinct issues: teaching and usurping authority. I could be taking your message wrong, but your response implies that the only prohibition is usurping authority. Given your rationale could not a husband say he wants his wife to exhort and teach others; no restrictions regarding the audience or context as long as he is present? We're all trying to read the Scripture for what is says John.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome, Paul wrote a letter with no verse or chapter disignations. The letter is to Timothy, whom Paul has left in charge to guide the church at Ephesus.

Immediately after giving instructions concerning women teaching or having authority over men,(end of chapter 2 as scholars labeled it) Paul gives the qualifications for the elders in the church (the beginning of chapter 3 as scholars labeled it.) Part of their duties includes teaching.

The context, therefore, is as I have stated.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I obviously don't believe Priscilla was in error. Scripture states the fact Priscilla and Aquilla (her husband) explained the gospel more thouroughly to Apollos.

Dr. Wallace does a very good job in explaining the difference in meaning of the verbs used in Acts 18 and I Tim. 2 respectively. The force of the verb in I Tim. is much stronger in reference to pursausion or attempting to change the mind or will of the person being instructed.

The force of the verb in Acts 18 is weaker, and is mainly a simple statement of facts without exhortation or persuasion being the main goal.

His conclusion was this (he is not referring to Priscilla)
    He says it better than I can. I don't believe what Priscilla did in Acts 18 violated the prohibition of I Tim. 2.

12. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I understand Brandon,

Your understanding of what I write is almost correct. I have not any quarrel with women who assist men in teaching mixed classes. As long as she does not take the role of authority while assisting when she is teaching or testifying. There is a difference. If there is not a man to take that class then I would not have a class where a woman is lead teacher of a class that contains any men. I think it would be easy for all of us if anyone could do anything, but that is not the way God wants his Church organized. Paul goes on in 1Tim 2 :13-15 to explain why.

I look at it as God wants men to hold women in high esteem (like a groom would a bride) and men as protectors and providers for women. This is hard to do when we (men) let women suffer and toil in the trenches of Church government dealing with authority. He (God) knows what and why He wants what He wants, He does not need our approval, it is up to our faith to realize that He knows what is best in His will.

I hope I did not muddle this up with my own thoughts.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

and this is biblical ,how?

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a joke donnA.

Why....so....serious?

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

because I beleive discussing scripture is a serious manner, to be taken seriously.

16. Dr. Timo

Dr. Timo New Member

teaching

The Word of God puts teaching together with being a pastor. Thus, the pastor is to be a pastor/teacher. I believe there are lots of ways women can serve our Churches today. But I also believe in the BFM 2000 that restricts the office of pastor to men. I had a pastors wife teach a Sunday school class I was in as a newer Christian and she did an awesome job. Our current Sunday school director is a Godly woman. In I Timothy 2:13,14 the Bible tells us why the restriction. Adam sinned with his eyes open. Eve was deceived.:jesus: :thumbs:

17. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Paul clearly states that a woman is not to hold authority over a man. When one is the "Teacher" in a classroom setting, they are in an authoritive position. When one is instucting someone in a one on one environment that is not always so. I can instuct you without having authority. My kids do it to me all the time. They are both soldiers. I ask them about certain situations and tactics and they teach me. There is no authority there. But put that context into a classroom or Sanctuary setting and the person who is either teaching or preaching is in authority at that time.

So nothing wrong with testimonies, sharing the gospel or helping your husband learn. My wife helps me learn all the time.