1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does it mean to you to be KJVO?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by MRCoon, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    dcorbett, God's word is NEVER an abomination! Untold millions have been saved by reading/hearing the gospel message from the NIV. To blaspheme the word of God is to blaspheme the God of the word. I will be the first to say that the NIV is, in my studied opinion, a poor translation of a poor underlying text, but to call even a poorly translated version of the word of God "abomination" is itself a terrible abomination, a sin against God and His word. If your pastor calls the bible an "abomination" in his sermon you should be the first to stand up and shout "LIAR!"

2. standingfirminChrist

a drop of poison in a glass of water makes the whole glass unfit to drink

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!!! Yep, there are enough scriptures left in even a catholic Bible to get saved, but can you GROW and MATURE as a Christian? No....you learn false doctrine when verses are missing or dramatically altered....the NIV is one of the very top on the list for deleted verses and changed definitions. No Baptist should be using it. (quoting my Pastor)

The Jehovah's Witnesses have their New World Bible, and my daughter and I stood at the door the other day and fought the same battle we are fighting here. The Holy Spirit was guiding us and directing us as we took bullet after bullet and countered with accurate and powerful words from God's book. Those people left shaking their heads, wondering how we could take the stance we take. a washed out altered Bible would not have served the purpose we needed. Thank the LORD for a Bible that speaks the truth and weeds through the garbage.

Get thee behind me satan.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SFIC:We have all the proof we need to verify our stance. It is called the King James Bible;

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...

That's like saying Ford makes the best trucks because they're Fords. No proof whatsoever, just PREFERENCE.

with the Holy Ghost to witness to our hearts that we are reading the Bible that God has given to man.

But you ignore the very real fact that the Holy Spirit(Not "ghost"; He is a living, thinking, RULING Being, sent physically by JESUS to take Jesus' place as Teacher and Leader until Jesus returns. He is no ghost.) has led other people to other Bible versions, same as He enables some to preach, some to sing or lead singers, some to be good with finances, etc. If He has led YOU to the KJV alone, hallelujah, but you MUST acknowledge that He has other work, paths, and gifts for other Christians. I don't question the Holy Spirit's work through others...I try to follow His leading for ME.

And Philip, if you read the next paragraph in my post you quoted from, you would see just as I said in the one you quoted.. I was not always KJVO. The hatred hurled at the KJVO camp and at me is very unChristlike. I stand by all I posted in the middle of the night. Those that are bashing people for KJVO have only evil intent in their hearts which is not of God.

Have you considered that the KJVO MYTH(not the KJV itself) is not of God? After all, almost all its points were condensed into one book by a CULT OFFICIAL, and spread through the modern media by some not-too-swift authors who didn't bother to research those points to see if they were true or not.

Why, it was written by Dr Bob several days back that if he had his way, he 'would ban all KJVO's.' I am so glad Jesus Christ is not so hateful toward us.

I've been here a few years, and I haven't seen Dr. Bob nor any other mod ban anyone for anything but repeated rule-breaking, after warnings, or posting downright evil such as 'cussing' or open denial of God, etc.

You want to believe I am wrong for going over to the KJV camp? Fine. But I am seeing more and more that that is exactly where God wants me to be.

Hallelujah...long as you don't take up the KJVO MYTH.

The hatefulness and doubt of my walk with God only strengthens my heart in knowing the devil is attacking me because I am right.

While one is right to proclaim he/she uses only the KJV or any other one version alone, one is NEVER right to proclaim he/she believes the KJVO MYTH or any other One-Version-Only false doctrines. While I honor your decision to use the KJV only, I will heatedly respond to any attack upon MY position of using several Bible versions. MY multiversional choice is just as valid for me as your one-versional choice is for you. SELAH. AMEN.

5. standingfirminChrist

Funny, the Bible refers to Him as Holy Ghost. Yet you say He is not. Are you afraid of Ghosts?

6. standingfirminChrist

yes, I have considered the KJVO myth is not of God. It was coined by the MV's in an attempt to slander those that do not believe the MV's.

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by dcorbett:

Philip, don't edit out a TRUTH that I am quoting from my Pastor's sermon.

Sorry, it's NOT a truth. He is WRONG.

THAT is an act of satan.

Yes, dissing a valid Bible version IS an act of Satan.

How else is anyone heere ever going to be convicted to stop using it?

Not by PREVARICATING about it. False plus false equals false.

You are as bad as the ACLU.

No, the ACLU( A nti C hristian L awyers' U nderground) is against ALL Bibles and anything Christian in public schools and govt. offices. OK to be a Moslem or a dope head like certain Indians whom they got the right to use dangerous drugs in their "religious" ceremonies. but shame on you if you pray or read a Bible, any version, in school, public transportation, or in a govt. office. Please don't compare Philip with THOSE pagans.

(BTW, Phillip is MY middle name.)

[ May 23, 2006, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

dcorbett...

How is editing a quote from your pastor an act of Satan?

Is he perfect? Inerrant? I tend to reserve that term for God.

I'm sure your pastor is passionate, and loves the Lord. But he's human.

I'm gonna keep on being faithful to God either way, so it's no big deal to me personally if you think the NIV (or other faithful modern translations) are abominations. I'm also going to keep using all faithful versions--KJV and otherwise--in my ministry.

By the way...thanks for the laugh. You said:

I know what you meant, but for a second, I thought that quoting your pastor was an act of satan! [​IMG]

Having a laugh in the middle of a KJVO fight...I'm a sick puppy...

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it was coined by people who don't believe God retired in 1611 & still presents/provides His word in the languages of today, for those who incorrectly believe a false, man-made doctrine about a given version of His word.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...the venom's wayyyy to much in here. The rhetoric's gotten too personal for my taste in the last page or so. I predict a thread closure soon, and I'm out. See ya'll in less angry territory...

[​IMG]

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible refers to the Holy Spirit with some combination of hagios and pneuma. The KJV translators for some reason that even Doc Cassidy has been able to explain used two different terms "ghost" and "spirit" to translate pneuma when refering to the very same third Person of the Trinity. The KJV introduces an unnecessary inconsistency concerning His name.

12. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't believe in ghosts. But I believe my KJV also calls Him the Holy SPIRIT. And my KJV sometimes refers to Him as "it"!!!I am going by the CURRENT definition of 'ghost' . I don't care what Shakespeare's buddies thought about ghosts.

And my modern Bibles call Him the Holy SPIRIT, and never "IT"!

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have said "unable" rather than "able."

14. standingfirminChrist

Hou do you know that the MV's are not incorrect in translating all to mean spirit instead of ghost?

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't necessarily think you couldn't translate it "ghost" everywhere. The problem is that God used one word and for some reason the KJV translators used two... and seem to have done so arbitrarily.

16. standingfirminChrist

I do not believe one can translate it "spirit" everywhere. I believe God spoke to the translators to translate it as 'ghost' in some places and 'spirit' in others.

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DCorbett:AMEN!!! Yep, there are enough scriptures left in even a catholic Bible to get saved, but can you GROW and MATURE as a Christian?

Usually not, if you're stuck with only one version.

No....you learn false doctrine when verses are missing or dramatically altered....the NIV is one of the very top on the list for deleted verses and changed definitions. No Baptist should be using it. (quoting my Pastor)

Can he PROVE what you say he said? Is he never wrong?

The Jehovah's Witnesses have their New World Bible,

Which I have proven WRONG to them, by their own KIT(Kingdom Interlinear Translation), which has the Scriptures in Greek), starting with John 1:1, "the word was *a* god, a reading not found even in THEIR Greek version.

and my daughter and I stood at the door the other day and fought the same battle we are fighting here.

No, it's NOT the same battle. Here, you're on the OPPOSITE side. With the Jabroney False Witlesses, you were on the side of RIGHT, debunking a CULT. Here, you seem to be trying to defend a false doctrine, which you oughtta be rebutting instead.

The Holy Spirit was guiding us and directing us as we took bullet after bullet and countered with accurate and powerful words from God's book.

I have done the same, many times, with JWs, Mor(m)ons, 7th Day Adlibbers, Oneness Penny Pinchers, and other pseudo-Christian cultists. Only the HOLY SPIRIT can induce them to see they're wrong, so keep hanging right in there with'em, and REALLY, FERVENTLY PRAISE GOD if, through your effort, and the words the HOLY SPIRIT gives you, one of them actually chucks the cult and COMES TO CHRIST.

Those people left shaking their heads, wondering how we could take the stance we take.

But at least you gave'em something to think about. Maybe one of'em will wake up in the middle of the night & wonder if the Botchtower LIED to them.

a washed out altered Bible would not have served the purpose we needed.

No, they don't serve ANY purpose, but the variety of valid versions we have woulda served well if the Holy Spirit had so chosen. However, I generally use the KJV, as it was the JFWs' choice of version before 1950, when their fictional Bible was published.

BTW, the NWT was composed mainly by Fred Franz, who later became Grand Imperial Poobah of their cult, and his buddy George Gangas. Betcha few JFWs know this! You can easily prove it to them from any number of resources. Jest Google 'franz gangas new world translation' for all the material you need.

Thank the LORD for a Bible that speaks the truth and weeds through the garbage.

Yes, thank the Lord for providing His word in my own language, and in a variety of translations.

Get thee behind me satan.

That's what I say about the KJVO myth.(NOT the KJV)

18. standingfirminChrist

according to the greek, it can be translated either/or.

I do not believe it should have been changed.

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the same premise that you believe 'ghost' is correct. While it may have been correct in 1611, it's certainly not correct NOW.

20. standingfirminChrist

I believe Ghost is in the KJV where it is because God wanted it there. I believe Spirit is in the KJV because God wanted it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.