1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Does Legalism Mean To You?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a rather clear definition and response to legalism in Act 15:1-13

While Paul and Barnabas were at Antioch of Syria, some men from Judea arrived and began to teach the believers: “Unless you are circumcised as required by the law of Moses, you cannot be saved.”
    Paul and Barnabas disagreed with them, arguing vehemently. Finally, the church decided to send Paul and Barnabas to Jerusalem, accompanied by some local believers, to talk to the apostles and elders about this question.

Acts 15:1-2 NLT

Clearly legalism is any addition to the free gospel of Jesus Christ.

So why are you now challenging God by burdening the Gentile believers with a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors were able to bear?
    Acts 15:10 NLT

Rob

#21 Deacon, Oct 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2008
  2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoops. Should have been "Which is worse -- the man who says, "look at me, I wear ties" or the man who says, "look at me, I don't wear ties"?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the whole point. There are some who think you are not spiritual if you don't wear a tie - that is legalism. (Though someone did tell me that III Corinthians says the bishop must wear a tie)

Personally, I always wear a tie when I preach, I just feel more comfortable with it. On the other hand we had a SBC missionary speak a couple weeks ago. He asked me if he had to wear a tie, and I just told him whatever he felt comfortable in.

As far as I know the roof has not yet fallen in yet.

The thing about the tie was just one example of how legalistic some folks get. The list is endless.

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

after all it does in not say in Estus 5:1, "Preacher, thou shalt wear a tie." Funny, I don't see that anywhere in the Bible and yet some would think that it is a Biblical mandate. A pastor friend of mine was chided by his deacons for not wearing a suit and tie on Sunday night. My friend told them that when they started wearing a suit and tie on Sunday night then he would too. They didn't bring up the subject anymore.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

TIC means Tongue-in-Cheek. I was actually agreeing with you in a left-handed way.

He may love us but I doubt if God really likes some of the stuff worn to church.

6. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Legal Sex

We are not supposed to talk about sex from the pulpit? I thought pastors were responsible for the WHOLE counsel of God and God DID talk about sex in the scriptures. If we are not talking about sex in the pulpit then we cannot be preaching and teaching the whole counsel of God.

As for me, Tom, I generally agree with your definition of legalism. It seems to me to be more of a way for insecure pastors to control their people and impose personal convictions that may not be completely Biblical. If you did not measure up to the pastors life style and opinion of what your life style should be then you obviously could not be a born again child of God.

7. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Tie Attitude

What is worse is the attitude of both that hold a sense of supriority over those who do not fit their ideology.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Good point. If you want to wear a tie then great. I know several older and younger pastors in my circle who wear a suit and tie every day. And, that's fine for them. Never have I heard them say anything derogatory towards those of us who don't. And, I've never said anything about them for doing so. That's their business. As for me a nice looking shirt, clean (un-faded) jeans, and polished chukkas fit the bill except for Sunday morning when I wear a suit and tie. Neither style, or choice, is directly addressed in the scripture. Apart from modesty issues or cross dressing (which I don't think most pastors or church members have a problem with) the Bible is silent about one's clothing choices. For many it's not a Biblical claim that they have on the dress styles of pastors and church members. It's a traditional claim. That too is a form of legalism and a dangerous one at that.

9. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Why does everyone think the Lord cares what we wear to church, how we wear our hair...I dont think He does. He wants us to come to Him to be IN Him its not about what we wear, how we look.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BINGO!

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Isn't it legalistic to say that their attitudes are worse than yours?

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If you come to our church in a string bikini, I imagine our greeters will invoke a little legalism.

13. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Legalism is the belief that one can attain God's favor through adhering to a set of rules not defined in God's revelation.

14. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Legalism is believing others should have the same standards as you. They should dress like you, eat the foods you do, drink or do not drink as you, sing the same songs, read the same translation............and more

Legalism is all about the person and the standards they have and they (the legalist) viewing themself BETTER then others because of those standards. If the non-legalist ,(the one seen as a 2nd rate Christian that does not have the same standards as the legalist) the one that does not measure up to how ALL OTHERS should live...set by the legalist list of does and don'ts, ...if they do not follow that list, they would viewed as a lower level believer.

Legalist want you to be like them.

#34 Jarthur001, Oct 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2008
  15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually God does care to a point and even tells somethings that should and not be worn since the wearing of such is due to the intent for wearing it.
    as well as what it should be like.
    What we wear reveals many times our own motives (wanting others to notice us) and pride about what we have.
    These are not a do and don't listing but a listing of the intent of the heart of the one who is adorning themselves to be noticed whether for looks or wealth.