1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What does your church do that....

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by SaggyWoman, May 25, 2013.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

is evangelistic in nature or education, or is missionary in nature or education??

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I missionary I do regular tract and street evangelism (depending on the season). For most of our time in Hokkaido I've had a Japanese to help, but my most recent partner, Habazaki San, had a stroke and is now in a home for dementia patients. Hopefully I can train another believer to help. I have a textbook on personal evangelism in Japanese that I have used to train believers on Wed. evenings.

Our church sends monthly support to a Japanese missionary to the Ukraine. I wish we could do more, but we are very small. We have a bulletin board where we display four missionary prayer letters (all Japanese missionaries) at a time. We also have Japanese missionaries in when we can. We recently had a great couple in for a meeting who are missionaries to Indonesia. Japanese missionaries are great for reaching other Asians!

Over the years I've taken missions trips to Australia, Hong Kong and Bangladesh, though I've not had any Japanese come with me.

So, I believe all churches ought to be involved in: direct and indirect evangelism, training in evangelism, missionary support, education about missionaries by having them in for meetings and displaying their prayer letters, missions trips, etc. If this tiny Japanese church can do these things, surely all American churches can.

3. Wherever You Go

Wherever You Go New Member

My church supports over 50 different missionaries or evangelistic outreaches, around 2/3 or 3/4 are overseas. At least two of our home missionaries are port missionaries, reaching out to merchant seamen. Other home missionaries are church planters in the Mormon west or indian reservations. One is a bush pilot in Alaska.

Every fall we hold a missions conference, where five of our missionaries report from the field.

Missionaries (both candidates, existing missionaries, or friends of our ministry) are encouraged and scheduled to speak on Wednesday nights in our church if they are passing through the area and have not reported in recently.

We have door-to-door outreach at our church. Some members go weekly, but there is a concerted effort monthly.

Our assistant pastor promotes tract distribution every week and reviews a "tract of the week" he encourages everyone to use.

We have begun a program called "Freedom That Lasts" which reaches out to addicts and others who have hit rock bottom in their life and are at a point where they know they need help. This program has resulted in many souls saved and many backslidden Christians helped to return to a close walk with the Lord. I participate in the program.

There are also other ministries by the church, including a jail ministry operated by several of our men, and a ministry to ladies in a Christian-operated women's shelter.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a reading program geared to two groups of kids,
    The young first to third graders have easy read books;
    the older group reads chapter books.
    The books are purchased from Christianbook.com.
    Each book is the biography of a missionary – some of the missionaries in the books have even visited the church.

When the kids finish a book they get their name posted on a missions board beside a picture of the missionary.

Each year they total the number of books read and prizes are given – usually a hardback book of a missionary.

I read to my grandson when he lived with us and both of us benefited.

Rob

5. Servent

Servent Member

We send out teams across the states and across the world 3 to 4 times a year, we just had a team return from Cambodia a few weeks ago. We also go on visits on Sunday afternoons ( new move in's, visitors, and cold contacts ) also we go downtown Houston once a month with other churches to the homeless with food and clothes. we involve our youth in these programs as much as possible.

First Baptist Church Crosby Texas