1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What exactly is a disciple?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Rachel, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Rachel

Rachel New Member

What exactly is a disciple?

Is every Christian a disciple? Is it a Christian who only obeys the Word of God? I have heard before that not all Christian's are disciples and wondering if that's true?

I was looking at different versions of the Great Commission.

KJV- 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
    NAS- 20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you;
    NLT- 20Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.

Thanks in advance,
    Rachel †

2. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

As best as I can remember, being a disciple was sort of like having a mentor/student relationship. They would ask a teacher (rabbi) if they (the rabbi) would mentor/teach them about God. In return, they would be obedient to do whatever he asked. (There were secular disciples as well who wanted to learn a particular philosophy).

They would then spend several years learning a respected rabbi's commentaries on scripture (usually they were from several different schools of thought (authorities).) Most of the teaching was oral (very few could write), though some would learn to write, and required an immense amount of memorization. Jesus referred to these commentaries as "the commandments of men."

So on particular issues you would get terms like, "rabbi so and so binds/looses you from baking bread on the Sabbath". One rabbi might teach it was breaking the sabbath to bake bread, another might teach that it was not. This is just an example, I do not know if any really taught that.

So a disciple is one who studies a certain teacher's sayings and follows those teachings in their lives.

I would say you are a Christian disciple if you are actively seeking to study God's Word and attempting to live your life according to what is taught in it. That would mean that if you found something taught that you were not doing, or a prohibition that you were not following, then you would adjust your life accordingly.

my 2 cents, hope it is helpful

3. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

Without looking it up or reading any response to you the question, I'll make this educated guess:

Disciplined to follow Christ.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Disciple means student. Specifically student of a relgious leader.

An apostle is a person sent out on special mission.

Christians tend to use the phrases to mean the 12 chosen to study the teachings of Christ at His feet for disciple and apostles to be those who received the great commission.