1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What happened to sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by El_Guero, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Phillipians121

Phillipians121 New Member

Sin doesn't just boil down to what we do, like bad habits or such. It can be things we know we are suppose to do and don't do them. Like Paul said in Romans 7.

If God said something is sin then it is sin, no matter how man tries to spin it!

Often times Christians don't see that their wrong or judgemental attitudes towards others, saved or not saved, is sin. I see this a lot on this board.
    We need to try and understand where each other is coming from (the written word of someone can be easily misunderstood) we need to love each other, encouraging and help each other, not putting each other down and tring to build ourselves up in the process. I see this a lot.

It starts here and with US! :love2:

2. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Posted by Watchman
    Amen Watchman.:thumbs:

It's all in the heart change. We don't obey God because we feel we have to. We obey God because we want to, out of love for Him.

3. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Christians SHOULD obey God because they love Him and because they want to. However, this is not always true. But you better obey God even if it is just out of the fear of God, because God does require obedience. We have to obey God.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe a Christian, once completely perfected which only God know's, will obey God because something within won't let him do contrary. It may even be strange to the believer why he is loving someone who just commited such an act against him that by wordly standards the called upon emotion is hate. Yet you love him anyhow. Obediance to God is a response to his work within our hearts and not something we can do of our own.

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

LeBuick IMO you contradict yourself in this statement. First you say it is a response (which is something we do) then you turn around and say that it's not something we do.

Obedience is a command and therefore is something we do. We can either be obedient, or we can be disobedient. It is our choice. God does not make us obedient. We have to choose to be obedient.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brothers & sisters,

What has happened? Where are the prophets calling us to repent? Has God forsaken us to evil and to the sin that we have let become so common?

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No sir, the response I speak of is one you can't help but do, "will obey God because something within won't let him do contrary"

Being obedient has always been man's weakness. It was with Adam in the garden and it was with trying live according to the Law. If Man were able to be obedient then Christ need not have died. Christ died because we could not be obedient of our own. It is not my obedience, the obedience belongs to he who is in me. That indwelt spirit.

Be careful of taking credit for the work of the holy spirit.

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's just it . . . obedience is not a given. Obedience is a choice, and we are not always guaranteed to be obedient. If that were so then there would be no need to command us to be obedient. There would be no reason to encourage us to be obedient. If we were automatically going to be obedient, there would be no reason to warn us of what happens if we are not obedient. Right?

See again this seems to contradict the point you are trying to make. You say we can't help but be obedient and then turn around and say obedience is a weakness. Is it a weakness or is it something we can't help but do?

I think the Bible clearly teaches that obedience is a weakness for mankind.

That's not entirely accurate, because there are several that were considered blameless (obedient) as to their walk. Paul says that of himself before the Damascus road experience. That is said of Zacariah and Elizabeth. That's why they had so much trouble understanding why they didn't have a child. They were blameless in their walk, which meant she should not have been barron.

There are many examples and Israel being obedient.

You seem to be promoting a puppet master. Obedience is a choice. God does not force one to be obedient. If one chooses to be disobedient He will let you. They will have to face the consequences for their disobedience however.

Can you show me in Scripture where it says that ones obedience in a work of the Holy Spirit?