1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What if church rids itself…

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Consider if American Christianity were to be stripped of all of its modern bells and whistles. And all the stages and dramatic lighting was removed. All sensationalism and novelty evaporated. Think about if there was simply the preacher and God’s unadulterated truth. What would be your reaction?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have no bells and whistles at Grace Baptist Church of Ruston. My reaction is that I am very, very, very, very happy that God led to that fellowship of believers.

Grace Baptist Church of Ruston gathers together to "worship God in Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and place no confidence in the flesh."

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And do they preach and teach the Predestination of all things otherwise known as Absolute Predestination?

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re: "no bells and whistles"

My wife and I recently moved into a retirement community surrounded by Amish farmland.
    We have attended a church about 20-25 minutes from our cottage for the last two weeks, it's probably the one we will choose.
    It's a large congregation, three services. we've attended only the first at 8:15.
    Everything new! Music band, drums, electric guitar, piano and strings.
    They are "on-line" with sermons and offerings (oddly of the three churches we attended none of them pass the basket anymore).
    They have all the bells and whistles except that they have no coffee cafe.

On the Sunday drive to church we pass groups of boys, and groups of girls, walking to church in their black garb and straw hats.
    Mom and dad, with perhaps very young children travel by horse drawn carriage.
    They travel down the roads and through the fields to a nearby farm (I've heard that the farm location rotates)
    Their church appears to be well attended, about 10 buggies on the front lawn.
    I'd guess they start around 8 or 9, after the horses are attended.
    I see them traveling home around 2-3 o'clock, before dark.
    They do church the old fashioned way, no electricity, wood burning stove for heat, slow a capella singing without harmony, sermons might be in Pennsylvania Dutch.
    They do like their coffee strong!

Rob

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They also bake from scratch several delicious cakes and pies. I can’t eat them cause I’m diabetic and they put allot of sugar in them. My wife, a humanitarian type advocacy for animals dislikes many of them for mistreating animals but that’s not all the Amish so…

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We humans use the term "Absolute Predestination" and I have no problem with it and have no problem using it myself. But I also like what Gilbert Beebe wrote: "Predestination...does not require to be qualified by prefixing to it the word absolute, as the predestination of God must of necessity be absolute in every particular. Jehovah is an absolute God, and all that he purposes or performs must be absolute. There can be no fiction nor anything merely nominal with him. Predestination is destination beforehand, and as nothing can be before hand, or subsequent with him, the term as it is used in the scriptures is used in reference to our finite state, as creatures of time; or rather as creatures of God, but for the present, in the time state of existence. God inhabits eternity, and all things are present with him. The progression of time and development of events can add nothing to his stock of knowledge. We his creatures may and we certainly do, live and learn. He has himself called our attention to the fact that he has declared the end from the beginning, saying, my counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure." - rest of article at Absolute Predestination - Gilbert Beebe.

The answer as to whether the Biblical teaching of predestination(Romans 8:29-30, Ephesians 1:3-12) is declared at Grace Baptist Church of Ruston, the answer is a definitive yes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

My church doesn’t have that junk.

If it did, I would not go there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it depends on what we mean by "bells and whistles".

Does maintaining a building, with the expense of a building, equate to "bells and whistles"? Sometimes I think we'd be better off gathering in homes.

I would not attend a church that consisted only of a preacher giving a sermon (that is not "church"). But I also find things like stage lighting and smoke machines distracting....so I'd pass on that as well.

What I want is honest worship. People giving testimonies, reading God's Word, uplifting one another, exercising their gifts (teaching, playing instruments, preaching, etc.). But I'd like to see this as a community rather than a service or organizational function.

The only "bell and whistle" I want is air conditioning. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Singing, Praying, Preaching... Singing with the mouth organ ( not the Harmonica)... The God given one... Don't ring the bells, blow the gospel trumpet and raise your voices in praise to God, and don't whistle... Give me that old time religion!... Brother Glen:)

#9 tyndale1946, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing Grace:D