1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a Christian?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Carl Johnson, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson New Member

I think I read on this forum that we should not be called Christians because this word means Christ-Like and no one is capable of attaining such high degree, :confused: as to be like Christ. Can the person or person who posted this statement please explain their position and or explain what is a Christian.

2. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Carl, I'm not sure who said exactly what you said, but here is what I believe. When you call yourself a Christian you are saying that you are Christ-like, even though you know you are not. Now if someone else calls you a Christian, then they are seeing a Christlike spirit in you. What I normally do is tell people I am a believer or that I am saved. I will let them be the judge if I am a Christian.

3. Walls

Walls New Member

I agree with that. I could never measure up to be Christ-like. Saved, absolutely! Believer in Christ, most definetly! [​IMG]

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I am a Christian. I am not a Christ-Clone. I am not the express image of his person. I am a follower of Christ.

Acts 11:25...And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The disciples were not perfect replicas of Christ either but were nonetheless called Christians because that is who they were following. It is my intent to live so that, as an Evangelist named John Kent once said, when I DO become like Christ (at my death) the change won't be such a shock.

5. showard93

showard93 New Member

Hi Mr. Johnson I think I may have been the person who said that statement and what I mean is that we should try to be like Christ if we call ourself christians. I mean in the things we wear, the things we say, the places we go etc..... I am like others say we can't even begin to be perfect like Christ was but we can try to be as close to him as we can...I hope that makes sence.