1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is a spiritual covering? Most Mega Churches have little branches of churches

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Mar 4, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

What is a spiritual covering? Most Mega Churches have little branches of churches all over the US and the world. They request that these little Churches tithe 10% of all that they have received to them. They state that they are a spiritual covering over them.

What is a spiritual covering? Is this biblical? Also... when I was new in the faith a couple of years ago this evangelist said he was spiritual father and that he was there for me if I needed anything. I know he meant well but what does all this mean? :wavey: :thumbs:

2. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

It sounds as though this particular group has very little regard for NT authority. The NT shows no organization above the individual congregation level (Phil 1:1). Even when congregations recieved help from one another, the receipt of that help didi not bring the "helpee" under the authority of the "helper".

Additionally, requiring a tithe is without NT authority, either from an individual, or a "little branch church". Sounds like a money grab to me.

And as far as someone being a spiritual "father", Paul called Timothy his son a few times.

1Co 4:17 For this cause have I sent unto you Timotheus, who is my beloved son, and faithful in the Lord, who shall bring you into remembrance of my ways which be in Christ, as I teach every where in every church.

1Ti 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

2Ti 1:2 To Timothy, my dearly beloved son: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

2Ti 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.

He did it with Onesimus, too.

Phm 1:10 I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:

And Peter referred to Mark as his son.

1Pe 5:13 The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

There is precedence for it, I guess. At least the concept of spiritual fatherhood, but we are not to call anyone "father" in a spiritual sense.

Mat 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

#2 Sgt. Fury, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2008
  3. billwald

billwald New Member

In other words, the megachurch becomes a new denomination.

4. trustitl

trustitl New Member

If the Apostle Paul did not see himself as being a covering over anybody, I doubt there is anybody qualified today to do it.

II Cor. 1: 24 "Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand."

Paul made it very clear to the Corinthians, a church looking for men to follow, that they were in error. No man is a covering for any other man.

I Cor. 11:3 "But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God."

5. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Tithing does not apply to christians and has no part in christian giving, so this whole scenerio is built on a faulty foundation.

In adition, this "spiritual covering" buisness serves no purpose other than to keep christians in bondage to a particular individual, church, or organisation.

The christians spiritual "covering" is Jesus Christ.

God bless,

Mike

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Yes, and a connectional one at that, rather than allowing congregational autonomy. Why not establish new churches, nurture them, and then let them be free, but with a brotherly rather than paternal interest in their success -- unless the real goal is control, size, and money.

7. billwald

billwald New Member

>Tithing does not apply to christians and has no part in christian giving.

Then you routinely give more than 10% of your gross income to your local church?

I have NEVER heard anyone who tithes as a minimum complain about missing the money. It is mostly the cheap legalists who freeload who complain.

8. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Billwald,

My giving is no more your buisiness than it is my pastors buisiness.

Tithing was to support the Levitical priesthood during the Jewish old covenant period. The New covenant form of giving is free will giving. Freewill giving is Gods desire regarding financial giving for the christian.

And I have never heard a pastor who teaches the truth regarding giving...freewill giving...complain about how much $$$$$$ is being collected, or browbeat Gods people in an attempt to put his people on a guilt trip regarding their giving.

Only those mistakenly putting Gods people under the tithing requirement do such things.

As Sgt Fury correctly noted....it becomes nothing more than a money power grab from the pulpit.

Mike

#8 D28guy, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2008
  9. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I agree and the most important thing about free will giving is giving and not expecting anything back. In most churches, not all by the way they make a really big deal about the fact that the more you give, the more you get back. This has really confused many because its kind of selfish.. we are not supposed to give expecting anything back, we are supposed to give with an open heart.

On another note, Freewill giving is more difficult then tithe. Why? Well, what if the Holy Spirit tells you to give 50% of your check one week and not necessarily to a church but to a brother in need.... just an example. God works in mysterious ways and he is awesome. Jesus came to raise the bar!!! Tithing is easy... all you need is a calculator. God is awesome!!! Praise him!!!

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

How would you know that it is the Holy Spirit who tells you to give 50%?

How do we know that it's not the flesh?

I'm not slighting the scenario you are envisioning, but it's just that I hear people speak of the Spirit telling them to do this and that.

I'll like to know how they can discern the Spirit's guidance for sure.

11. trustitl

trustitl New Member

No doubt the Spirit is getting "credit" for things he had nothing to do with. I guess I would say that we need to be seeking direction from the Spirit and not a calculator. The calculator is no doubt safer, but the we make amazing claims about the Spirit within us and it is time Christians lean on Him instead of the law(tithing). So we ere and give "in the flesh" when we think it is the Spirit. I think God will teach us how to discern better if we exercise our faith a little more.