1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is eternal life?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Feb 11, 2011.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have contemplated that concept myself Aaron.

We shall be like Him, but does that mean we will share in all the attributes of God including eternality?

Omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence...?

I would say that the children of God were at least in God's mind from eternity.

HankD

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Eternal life is certainly a matter of quality that one will only experience by faith in Jesus Christ. The secular world would say that eternal life is being self-aware after death, as opposed to oblivion. In that sense, we all have eternal life. Its just that most are going to wish they did not have it.

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

See my post #10, except for the verses in John and one in I Tim., all other references to eternal life in the New Testament indicate or imply that eternal life begins in the future.

A tension in scripture?

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, it's incomprehensible. There is no past, present and future in eternity. Time is a created thing. When the Scriptures speak of the lamb slain before the foundation of the world, they're speaking of a reality, not a concept.

Anyway, to dwell much on the idea is like trying to wrap one's mind around the Trinity.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

"There is no past, present, and future in eternity." You don't happen to be an aggie by any chance?:laugh:

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And in those it is something we have through the gift of the Holy Spirit being in Christ. I believe the word teaches we have assurance of eternal life through the Holy Spirit. This is our hope Titus 1:2 and for Paul it comes with the appearing of Jesus. It is at the future appearing of Jesus we receive eternal life changing us therefore from heirs to inheritors of the kingdom of God that requires eternal life in order to see, enter or inherit. Jesus speaks of this moment this twinkling of an eye time as, that world (age) and the resurrection from the dead and says Neither can they die any more (eternal life) for they are equal unto the angels; and are the sons of God, being the sons of the resurrection.

The true meaning of being born again or from above. You will be born from above at his return, manifested as sons of God. The whole of creation, groaneth and travaileth in pain and we also (Birth terms) waiting for this.

The story of the rich young ruler. Wanted to inherit eternal life, Jesus equated this with entering the kingdom, the disciples equated this with being saved and again Jesus equated it with the world (age) to come and life everlasting.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Then why all the references to time in Revelation?

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I agree. We have asurance through the Holy Spirit, of obtaining eternal life in the future. The scriptures in John are really assurances of obtaining eternal life in the future. I believe eternal life begins when we obtain it in the future; because there are too many scriptures, other than in the book of John, that say we obtain eternal life in the future rather than having eternal life now.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is my post 16. How are my two questions relative to our receiving eternal life?

John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

What kind of life is this and just when did the Father give it to the Son?

Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Who was this promise made to and when was this promise made?

This promise was made: before times of ages,
    When was this?

10. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Yes, God made the promises of eternal life. But that is not my question here. The question is "when do/did we receive eternal life?"

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I think you are conflating eternity with infinity. We cannot have an actual infinity (apart from God, who IS infinity) as regards time, etc., as it would make time meaningless. How can one add one second to what is already infinite?

Eternity can have a starting point, then stretch on, well, forever. To suggest that there is no time involved makes the entire concept of "eternity" meaningless. It has to be "forever and forever" which implies some measure.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not confusing anything, least of which is the meaning of the word "eternal."

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Would you repeat the error of the Mormons and make us pre-existing?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My goshes though Aaron, half this board doesnt even know of or believes the Doctrines of election that will take you through a systematic way to eternal rewards & provide Christians the confidence that they are blameless adopted sons / Ephesians 1:4-6.

How does one get to eternal life when they cannot grasp Original sin or Saving Grace?

#34 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011
  15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked because I believe why, from who, how and when we receive it is directly related to when the promise was made and to whom it was made.

Promised, before times of ages. When was this? Was this before Adam was created? I think so. If it was before Adam was created why was a promise such as this being talked about? Who was talking with who? What are the odds this also was being talked about about the same time? The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Just what does slain mean? If this being, Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: Emptied himself and did this, But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: Then was slain. Died. And one called the Father did this, For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; By doing this, And God raised him from the dead, for this purpose, And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. Was the promise made to the one that would made flesh, the lamb and granted the day he raised him from the dead? If so when do you think we will receive it?

16. drfuss

drfuss New Member

The promise was made to Jesus. I don't see when Jesus received the promise has anything to do with when we receive eternal life. Jesus promised that those who trust in Him would inherit eternal life in the age to come.

Matt. 19:29 - Jesus talks about the blessings of this life and then says "and will inherit eternal life".

Mark 10:30 - Jesus talks about blessings in this life and then He says "in the age to come, eternal life".

Luke 18:30 - Jesus talks about blessings in this life and then He says "and, in the age to come, eternal life".

17. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all [things] he might have the preeminence.

18. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I don't see what the above has anything to do with when we receive eternal life.

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by that in bold? That the promise of eternal life would be given to Jesus or that the promise was given to Jesus that we would be given eternal life. Does this verse have anything to do with the answer? Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared;
    Just how was he saved from death?

I think before the time of ages the promise was made if you will be made flesh and die for their sins I will raise you up and give you eternal life then we can give that life to them through you and this was agreed to before Adam was created. If this is so that life comes through being born again from the dead or put this way, For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

20. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Christ

We have the Lamb that was slain and the river of life that flows from Him and the tree of life with fruit, will our eternal life still be depended on Lamb or ourselves in eternity?

When we start looking at ourselves as God we are starting to tread in dangerous waters.

#40 psalms109:31, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011