1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is eternal life?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Aaron, Feb 11, 2011.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I still don't see what the above has anything to do with when we receive eternal life.

I think you have said that God promised Jesus that those who trust Him as savior would be given eternal life. When the promise was made has nothing to do with when we recsive eternal life. My question is "Do we receive that promised eternal life at the time of conversion or after we die?" Which is it?

Matt. 19:29 - Jesus talks about the blessings of this life and then says "and will inherit eternal life".

Mark 10:30 - Jesus talks about blessings in this life and then He says "in the age to come, eternal life".

Luke 18:30 - Jesus talks about blessings in this life and then He says "and, in the age to come, eternal life".

I believe that the scriptures in the Book of John about eternal life, are promises that we will receive eternal life after we die.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Just like Jesus when we are resurrected/changed at his appearing.

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what we will be is sons of God.
    Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
    For it became him, for whom [are] all things, and by whom [are] all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified [are] all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
    For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Isaiah 61:10
    I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

In Christ we are sons of God, because He sees His Son.

In another place this is what God say's about sons of god

Psalm 82
    A psalm of Asaph.

1 God presides in the great assembly;
    he renders judgment among the “gods”:

2 “How long will you[The Hebrew is plural.] defend the unjust
    and show partiality to the wicked?[The Hebrew has Selah (a word of uncertain meaning) here.]
    3 Defend the weak and the fatherless;
    uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.
    4 Rescue the weak and the needy;
    deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

5 “The ‘gods’ know nothing, they understand nothing.
    They walk about in darkness;
    all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

6 “I said, ‘You are “gods”;
    you are all sons of the Most High.’
    7 But you will die like mere mortals;
    you will fall like every other ruler.”

8 Rise up, O God, judge the earth,
    for all the nations are your inheritance.

Apart from Christ I see us as nothing.

The Holy Spirit that we are given is eternal with no end or beginning, but our soul has a beginning with no end because of Jesus Christ. A marriage a joining of the Holy Spirit and our soul. The old is gone the new has come in a new heart.

1 Peter 1:8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, 9 for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

John 3:30
    He must become greater; I must become less.”