1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is meant by KJV's "conies?"

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Logos1560, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prov. 30:26 The conies are but a feeble folk, yet make they their houses in the rocks.

In his WAY OF LIFE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE BIBLE, KJV-only author David Cloud defined "coney" as "a rabbit" (p. 90).

At Prov. 30:26, D. A. Waite's DEFINED KJB gave this definition for "conies:" "small, rabbit-like nocturnal animal that lives in rock holes; perhaps hyraxes" (p. 899).

What is the more correct or accurate definition for "coney" as used in the KJV? Is the coney a rabbit or a rock hyrax or some other animal?

2. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant to edit my post to correct a typing error, but I clinked on the wrong thing.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A coney is a large hot dog, often called a Bahama Mama, first sold at Coney island.

According to a biology professor at Marshall University, coney is a name for the European rabbit, pika, or hyrax. Upon checking out the info about these animals, it appears that the hyrax is the most likely candidate, as it lives in rocky areas throughout the Middle East, is fairly common, has nails that resemble small hooves, and will run from danger, relying upon its speed, agility, and rock-climbing ability to escape.

The pika is an animal similar to the hyrax, but it's not common in the Palestine area. The European rabbit doesn't commonly live in rocky areas.

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

robycop writes: "According to a biology professor at Marshall University, coney is a name for the European rabbit, pika, or hyrax. Upon checking out the info about these animals, it appears that the hyrax is the most likely candidate, as it lives in rocky areas throughout the Middle East, is fairly common, has nails that resemble small hooves, and will run from danger, relying upon its speed, agility, and rock-climbing ability to escape."

On my trips to Israel, I've seen lots of these animals in/near rocky areas. Our guide on my first trip told us that they are the Biblical coney.

For the remainder of that trip, everytime we'd run across some of them, one lady in our group would excitedly point & holler out "Conies! Conies!" (It became comical.) [​IMG]

5. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hebrew translated 'coney' is "shaphan", which is also a man's name. Since names are often descriptive, those men named Shaphan may have been agile and fast climbers as children, as the hyrax is.

I have little doubt that the shaphan is the rock hyrax. Many people today call it a coney, it appears to have little hooves, and, when eating tough vegetation, chews each mouthful for several minutes, making it appear to be chewing cud, and is a common animal in Palestine.

It's certainly not a RABBIT. There are no rabbits in Palestine; only hares, which neither chew the cud, nor have any semblance of hooves.

7. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    UNGER'S BIBLE DICTIONARY at its entry "coney" (Heb shaphan) has: "a small pachydermatous animal, with a dentition and feet resembling those of the hippopotamus. It is large as a rabbit, but is not to be confused with the coney of England, which is a rabbit. It is the common rock badger, common in Sinai, around the Dead Sea area and in N. Palestine. It has a plump body and very short ears and tail. Its scientific name is Hyrax Syriacus" (p. 57).

In his commentary on Proverbs, H. A. Ironside wrote: "Properly speaking, the little animal of the 26th verse is not a coney at all, but a very timid defenseless creature of the marmot type, known to naturalists as the Syrian hyrax" (p. 454).

Ironside wrote: "Feeble and defenseless in the presence of its enemies, unable too to borrow and make a house for itself, the hyrax finds in the clefts of the rocks a suitable dwelling-place where it is safe from the power of the marauder and protected from the fury of the elements" (p. 455).

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Somebody just had to say it... [​IMG]

Where I live, the dogs are smaller than normal, and they are served on equally small buns with chili, cheese, onions & mustard...

9. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

I hate hotdogs...I am more of an italian sausage or bratwurst man myself. [​IMG]

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The dictionary of my 19th century Oxford Bible says:

Coney: Leviticus 11:5; Psalm 104:18; Proverbs 30:26; Hebrew “shaphan”; Greek “dasupous”; RV margin “Hyrax Syriacus,” or “rock-badger”

“Shaphan” was forbidden food to the Hebrews; it lived in rocks; it was “feeble;” it chewed the cud. Jewish tradition identifies it with the rabbit, and says the Phoenicians gave “Spain” its name from its abundance of rabbits; but this animal was unknown in Syria, till imported in later times. The “coney” is the “Hyrax Syriacus,” an animal somewhat like a rabbit in size and habits. The structure of the genus Hyrax is very remarkable, and it is generally placed in a separate order, the “Hyracoidea.”
    DHK

11. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

I like the Yocco's coney dog. You can only get them in Allentown, PA. They have nice pierogies, too! YUMMY [​IMG]

12. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You haven't had a coney untill you've had a Detroit Coney.
    BTW they have the other conys too, they are also small, and ferocious...they're called RATS. :D

13. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

***C A U T I O N***

If you're in certain Oriental areas, it might be best for you to not order a hot dog.

You just might wind up being served some variety of cooked canine! :eek: :eek:

14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

When it is called a "hot dog" I didn't think anyone actually takes it literally! I just can't imagine putting Fido on a bun with relish or whatever...

15. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Trinitarian Bible Society's booklet with explanations of words in the KJV entitled A BIBLE WORD LIST defined "coney" as "hyrax, rock-badger, like a rabbit."