What is New Century Version

Discussion in 'Bible Versions/Translations' started by Phillip, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Phillip

Phillip
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Maybe I am behind on the new versions, but I was listening to a podcast from a church (not Baptist) which I help out technically and the pastor mentioned the New Century Version.

Give me any and everything you know about this version please? I would certainly appreciate it.

2. jbh28

jbh28
    Expand Collapse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Century_Version

Don't know much about it. Saw it on sale at Sam's Club one time.

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe
    Expand Collapse

Read it (NT) but did not like it. I place it dead last in its class; for example, the CEV (Contemporary English Version) is much better in my opinion. The NCV is on the 'loose' end of the dynamic range.

4. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate
    Expand Collapse

Crumbs! It must be really bad then!

Steve

5. sdonahue1

sdonahue1
    Expand Collapse

Started out as The International Children's Bible. Then was revamped and became the New Century Version. Was AGAIN revised and turned into another gender-inclusive wonder. It is a Dynamic Equivalence translation that has never been really popular. I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

6. glazer1972

glazer1972
    Expand Collapse

If it came from the ICB I certainly wouldn't want it. We got our 8 year old an ICB. She tried reading it several times. It is now shelved and she wanted a NKJV like her dad. She reads the NKJV and says that it is easier to understand.

7. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

You are claiming that the NKJV is easier to read than the NCV? That is very unlikely.

2 Cor. 6:12
    NCV : Our feelings of love for you have not stopped,but you have stopped your feelings of love for us.
    NKJV : You are not restricted by us,but you are restricted by your own affections.

2 Cor. 6:13
    NCV : I speak as if you were my children. Do to us as we have done -- open your hearts to us.
    NKJV : Now in return for the same (I speak as to children),you also be open.

Philippians 2:27
    NCV : Yes, he was sick,and nearly died,but God had mercy on him and me too so that I would not have more sadness.
    NKJV : For indeed he was sick almost unto death;but God had mercy on him,and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.

Hebrews 7:18
    NCV :The old rule is now set aside,because it was weak and useless.
    NKJV : For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness.

#7 Rippon, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011