1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is not evangelism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Nov 1, 2016.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many these days are very confused on what evangelism is and what it is not. Some on this board in turn are confused on this subject as well. There are many things that are not evangelism but today I will focus on just one and that is social action and public involvement. I once was in a church that thought evangelism was all about these things. To them evangelism was all about mowing peoples yards, taking out the trash, being involved in mercy ministries and such. Doing these things is good as it helps to commend the gospel but it in and of itself is not evangelism. To be evangelism the gospel must be clearly communicated in oral or written form. Since some are confused on what the gospel is and what it is not in turn they will get offended when challenged on this subject. Its also not politically correct to call people to repentance and to preach against sin in today's postmodern culture.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are you quoting? Please give credit where credit is due.

3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, what is your calling in life?

4. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's to say the gospel isn't being clearly communicated? Perhaps after the lawn is mowed or the garage cleaned out all involved sit down over a tall glasses of sweet tea and chit-chat for a while. A clear and concise presentation of the gospel could certainly arise during any kind of interaction.

:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "To be evangelism the gospel must be clearly communicated in oral or written form."

Apologies this is a quote from the book The Gospel and Personal Evangelism by Mark Dever.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps in some cases but these are rare in my experience.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You must have very limited experience. Pretty much most everyone I know who does this sort of thing speaks of the gospel to the person they are serving.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then perhaps you need to experience more of these types of outreach. You'd be surprised how easily and often the conversations swing to Jesus, Christianity, the church and so forth.

:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I seldom respond on this board now days, but I do read quite often. Evan, I believe you need to spend more time getting your life in order and less time on these boards pretending to something you only read about and truly do not understand. How can anyone take you seriously until you live what you say. A man needs to be in control of his whole life. Just leaving it to the Lord is not enough if you are not willing to work at it. It seems when the work is hard or not what you want to do then others are blamed for not being fair. The only way to make it as fair as you can is for YOU to work at it and take responsibility of your actions or lack of action. Quite listening to men and listen to God, even if you don't like what God is telling you. If you want to ignore me and say I am another that does not understand or that I am picking on you, that is your right.
    I am praying for you as I have been for some time, but you are the one that must take action. God Bless and I am truly pulling for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Nah lifestyle or friendship evangelism is a cop out for most that do not want to put in the hard work of contact evangelism.

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, correct me if i'm wrong, you seem to be saying, "I'm an *evangelist* first, vessel of God used for His Glory, Second."

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever considered this may be the reason you have not won a soul to Christ in 8 years of doing it your way?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's actually a cop out to stand on a street corner and yell at people. It's MUCH harder to get dirty and get working with the people and actually ministering to them as you bring them the gospel. Remember in each case when Jesus had contact with people, He met a need they had as well as spoke truth to them. Take an elderly widower food shopping and bring him home and cook him dinner then clean up and sit with him for the evening goes WAY farther than shouting words.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Often time you must first make a friend before you make a convert. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think of the story of Rosaria Butterfield and her AMAZING testimony of a pastor who stepped out and befriended a very liberal lesbian and eventually had the privilege to lead her to the Lord. It took a lot of time, a lot of prayer and a lot of meals but God used this faithful pastor and his wife and their friendship to make a difference in the life of one woman and from her, MANY other people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some years ago a career Navy Chief and his two sons attended our church in San Diego. His wife never attended. I asked him about her and he said he married her before he was saved, and that she had been raised a Jehovah's Witness, and her strong Jehovah's Witness mother lived with them and had a great influence on her.

He invited us to their home for dinner and we met his wife, and talked to her about spiritual things. She refused to listen. But we all became friends and went over there a lot and they came to our house, and we went out together several times.

One morning she showed up with her family, minus her mother, and when I gave the invitation she rushed down the aisle and said "I need to be saved." My wife took her aside and showed her from the bible how she could know for sure she was saved and on her way to heaven.

That evening they all came back for the evening service and when we were taking prayer requests she raised her hand and said "Pray for my mother. She is a Jehovah's Witness and lost."

We made a friend and God made a convert. What a blessing, doing it God's way. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, John, you couldn't be more wrong. :Frown

Why does it have to be either/or in your opinion? Why can't it be both/and.

Yes, there are Biblical instances of what I call the "cold" evangelism of complete strangers. Cold not being a negative word, but meaning the evangelism of someone you've not met. The woman at the well had no clue who Jesus was. To her, he was just some stranger who shouldn't have been talking to her. Peter, in that great sermon of Acts 2, was speaking to thousands of complete strangers.

And, there are Biblical instances of lifestyle and relational evangelism. Matthew organized a social event and his friends came to a party and met Jesus. In fact, one of the complaints against Jesus was that he was a "glutton and a winebibber" BECAUSE of his relationship methodology with some sinners, harlots, and publicans.

No one evangelizes to the fullest that they should - no one. No matter which method - we all fail at truly doing what we should be doing for the Lord.

I believe that both cold evangelism and relational evangelism have their place in the work we do for God. And to dismiss all other methods except our own personal preference is not wise. That type of opinion exalts a program and puts the power of the Holy Spirit to change people's lives in the background. Not intentionally, but only defending one solitary method naturally leads to depending ON the method and not the Holy Spirit.

John, being overly programatic can be just as foolish as being overly pragmatic.

#17 Scarlett O., Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that lifestyle and friendship evangelism cannot be used by God because they can be. I just see that many people use them as a cop out for contact evangelism.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and the point being that lifestyle and friendship - is a pre-requites to the oral presentation of the gospel - and that could take days, weeks - even months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I guess that's what I'm trying to say to you.

Your personal preference based on your own study is contact evangelism. And that's fine - for you.

What if someone on a public board said to you that you are "copping out". That's what you are saying to those who find other styles of evangelism to be the method that they have found works for them and that the Lord leads them in.

No one is copping out.

Not you.

And not others who evangelize with a different method based on their own study and their own life's direction, talents, abilities, and daily circumstances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1