1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is open theism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ivon Denosovich, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Correct
    No, he would have because God knew his heart
    correct
    No, he would have killed his son. That's why God stopped him. Abraham demonstrated by doing all that he did that he would have done what was asked by the Lord to do. Of course God already knew this and that's why he planned to stop him.

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

more lies.... sad

And even more lies by say we said that God lies. You posts are being reported because they have absolutely no reason to be on a Christian board.

3. Siberian

Siberian New Member

God knew Abraham had committed to obey and kill his son. He also knew that he would stop him from doing so. I don't see a tension there.

However, I do admit the tension of finite beings not fully grasping how God deals, and chooses to deal with his creation. We should try though. :)

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seriously, you need to tone it down (and as you can see I sit on the same side of the fence as you)

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

And you demonstrate a Christlike character. That's appreciated. I with I would be more like this as I find my self failing. I think back to people like George Whitfield and John Wesley and how they were able to work together despite their very large differences.

6. Siberian

Siberian New Member

No I wouldn't agree that I am doing that. I am suggesting that there is no tension between God's testing and God's omniscience, and I've said why (because the testing is not to supply a lack in God's knowledge).

And I agree that we do disagree over that.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 22:12 says that God said "Now I know" and so God did not know beforehand. To say that God really did know, and was just using a figure of speech, is simply to say God lied. Every scripture that says God does not know something is treated the same way by the Closed Theists, they blaspheme God and say He lied, He really knew this or that.

According to the closed theists, Jesus really did know the time of His return.

According to closed theists, God really knows our foregiven sins, for He remembers them.

According to closed theists, God really knew Abraham would not withhold his son, and just said "now I know" without meaning it.

On and on it goes folks. We have the Bible, verse after verse, and we have the nullification of the Closed Theists. I take God at His Word.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But revelation is not so closed.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You need to repent.Because you cannot grasp truth...does not mean that you can deny the God of the bible. You do not have another point of view..you have out right denial of God's truth.

18Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

#69 Iconoclast, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  10. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You are reading something into the text. It doesn't say that God didn't have knowledge. You demonstrate a lack of understanding how language works. "now I know" because Abraham had no physically proven, not "now I know" because God didn't know what Abraham would do. Scripture over and over again says God knows everything but NEVER says something that God didn't know.

And we don't say that God lied. Please remove your slander. It is being reported again.
    Not true, a lie against us.
    Already explained this to you.
    Not true and a lie against us. And I say lie because we JUST said something totally different.
    No you don't. you haven't yet shown a passage. But there is no debating you. Every post you make that slanders us will be reported.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think I will use a little Administrative prerogative and shut this thread down. Haven't seen this sort of sorry conduct in a while and it ought not to be allowed to continue. I know we're a couple pages short of the normal 10, but not sure we want to handle two more pages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.