1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is repentance?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Chessic, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Joe

Joe New Member

Amen :godisgood:

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Rom 1:28And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

3. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I have often gone to God and said "I repent" and intended to try, yet again, to avoid, escape, resist a certain temptation, and wondered if I should feel more regret (usually disgust is my primary emotion). And then I wonder if my repentance is genuine if I don't feel sorry enough to not commit that sin again.

But emotions don't make me saved, and I don't think they make me repentant either--though they can sure help.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If he is not one with a conscious seared with a hot iron, then I don't know who would be.

BBob,

5. Joe

Joe New Member

Brother Bob
    That one liner didn't prove one must feel sorry for sins in order to repent. Forget about Ted Bundy, think of someone who is committing fornication or adultery instead.
    Oh, and what about King David? That guy grabbed Bathsheba, messed with her and then killed her poor husband. David was a nut, but he repented. He must have since I read God said he was a man after his own heart. What about that story?

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Let me ask you this Bob, Do you know of anyone who has taken the gospel to him and he has rejected it time and time again?

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Which is worse: What Saul of Tarsus did, or What Ted Bundy did?

8. Chessic

Chessic New Member

"David was a nut, but he repented..." I found my quote for the day!

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I can only give you my own personal experience and can't speak for others. I came to the point I said: God if its you will that I die, let it be so, but save my dying soul. I gave it all and that was 35 years ago and have never found a place to turn around .

10. Joe

Joe New Member

Yes, emotions sure can help with repentance. Amen to that. But if it's not possible, then it's not. No worries.

Keep trying.

Hey notice TCGreek is a Pastor as is Brother Bob except what BB is saying is very wrong.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I told you that some would disagree with me and thats fine. I am not here to say you are wrong. I am telling how it was with me and I do believe that a person becomes sorry. Can you prove that David did not feel sorry when he repented?

Please explain? You have not right to say I am wrong, you do not know if I am wrong or not. Maybe its you that is wrong. You already admitted you should not of used Ted Bundy.

#31 Brother Bob, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  12. Joe

Joe New Member

I don't need to, this is not something I am objecting to. I am saying it is not a requirement.

Your post that I didn't quote is showing you backtracking to say you have only stated your opinion from your experience.

My concern is, you as a Pastor, need to be more careful. This is a stumbling block for many people when others state they believe sorrow is a requirement to repentance. People need to know they can do God's will, even when they do not feel like it.

Yes, I think it was a bad example. But still, we don't know what happened with him.

#32 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
  13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't make false statements about me. At least get it right.

If you want to uphold someone like Ted Bundy and put down someone like me who has been a ordained minister for 34 years and a Pastor for 26, "go for it".

#33 Brother Bob, Oct 14, 2007
  14. Joe

Joe New Member

Brother Bob you are quoting yourself in post 33 and blaming me for making false statements about you. That quote you bolded is from YOU not me. It originated in your post #16. Only the second quote was written by me.

Are you feeling ok?

You stated that yourself, and now you are refuting you own words. What gives?

We better end this conversation before it gets more confusing

#34 Joe, Oct 14, 2007
  15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Are you feeling ok?

I bolded I do believe that a person becomes sorry because you said I was backtracking from saying, I believe you have to become sorry.

Tell me something Joe, did you feel "worthy" or did you feel unworthy to receive salvation???

16. Joe

Joe New Member

I felt unworthy

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I believe that to be a sorrowful condition.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

Whew!

By the way, I get confused easily but I don't deliberately change other people's words. Especially yours, since I like you and look forward to reading your posts.

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, fellers?? Where does the Bible ever say that David ever "repented"?

Or for that matter, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Gideon, Rahab, Jonah, Paul, Thomas, or Peter?

Any verse of Scripture saying this that I somehow missed??

Ed

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Sorry but you lost me here.