1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Replacement Theology?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Joseph_Botwinick, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

I said:

"You do realize that I get to write off this entire post by saying that I believe in ONE people of God and am a staunch dispensationalist. Oops."

Then you said:

1. What is really interesting is the number of people on here to act like they know what dispy is but don't actually.

2. It would be better to say that Israel is a people with earthly promises. The redeemed of Israel enjoyed spiritual blessings also. The church is made up strictly of redeemed people. The church was NEVER granted the earthly blessings that Israel was in this present world. The church will enjoy those kinds of blessings in the full manifestation of the kingdom.

3. Actually, we believe in a pretribulation rapture because Christ and Paul both said so. The tribulation is specifically God's wrath upon an unbelieving world.

4. Certain promises to Israel will be fulfilled in the Millenium, but NOT in the same way as before the cross.

Example: a temple will be rebuilt BUT IT WILL NOT BE FOR THE SAME REASON AS SOLOMON'S TEMPLE.

5. You must be talking about progressives. I agree with them on certain issues, but not completely. Some of their hermenuetic is just off base.

What makes a person a dispensationalist is this one thing: you see a distinction between Israel and the Church.

6. See No. 5.

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Understand, Christ is not finish built church, he is currently builting his people to now, and will continue through great tribulation, till Christ comes, then builting of the church will be completed and done, time for the Church to marry Christ at the end of Tribulaiton period - Revelation chapter 19.

Christ have been built his people since Old Testament time, and he is currently built his people right now, and continue till at the end of tribulation period.

You saying, Christ was not yet built church TILL Pentacost Day, because of Matt 16:18 says, "I WILL" is future sense. I have no problem with it. He is continue built his people through all ages till Christ comes. Also, I am sure, dispensationalists saying Church was not built yet in the Old Testament period till Matt 16:18, Christ finally told them, he is going to built his people.

In another, he is currently builting New Jerusalem - John 14:1-3, he said, He is prepared a place for us. That mean he is currently prepare to built his people right now, till he will complete them at His coming.

New Jerusalem will be completed and ready at Lord's coming, every saints of O.T. and N.T. shall dwell in it, because of their names are written in the book of life.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Again, your error is obvious. In Matt. 16, he said he WILL build his church. He didn't say he will CONTINUE to build his church.

Besides, Peter places the beginning of the church at Pentecost.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

No matter how many times I read John 14, I can't find where Jesus said anything about the New Jerusalem. What translation are you using. I use the NASB.

He didn't say he was preparing a people. He said he was preparing a PLACE for THEM.

Listen, you don't have to make stuff up in debate.

5. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Obivously, Christ is not yet finish with his people, he is continue built his people. The purpose is, he is performing in them - Eph. 2:10, to make them into pure and become perfection. So, the church will be ready - Rev. 19:7-8. Right now, Church is not ready, church is currently built into perfection and completion daily till Christ comes. Many are not yet born(physical birth), more yet to born in the future generations, more shall be saved, as Christ is continuing adding them unto the church - Acts 2:47.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

6. Tim

Tim New Member

What is Replacement theology?

A misleading label for the Biblical truth about God's New Covenant people.

In Christ,

Tim

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Replacement Theology was introduced to the Church shortly after Gentile leadership took over from Jewish leadership. What are its premises?

Israel (the Jewish people and the land) has been replaced by the Christian Church in the purposes of God, or, more precisely, the Church is the historic continuation of Israel to the exclusion of the former.

The Jewish people are now no longer a "chosen people." In fact, they are no different from any other group, such as the English, Spanish, or Africans.

Apart from repentance, the new birth, and incorporation into the Church, the Jewish people have no future, no hope, and no calling in the plan of God. The same is true for every other nation and group.

Since Pentecost of Acts 2, the term "Israel," as found in the Bible, now refers to the Church.

The promises, covenants and blessings ascribed to Israel in the Bible have been taken away from the Jews and given to the Church, which has superseded them. However, the Jews are subject to the curses found in the Bible, as a result of their rejection of Christ.

More can be read at:
    Replacement Theology
    DHK

8. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

On the one hand you say:

Then on the other you say:

These two statements contradict themselves. First you say Israel became the church then you say the church replaced Israel.

9. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

It looks as if in this thread both sides have presented their strawman. It started with the common dispenstational label for non-dispensationals, namely Replacement Theology, the church has REPLACED Isreal. This is not what orthodox covenant theology or other non-dispensational huermanutics teach, though DHK is right that there have been some groups outside the orthodox Christian camp who have taught this. Those "America is Israel" type people (think Randy Weever held up in his house with guns) are some of them.

On the other hand, the non-dispensationals have presented the strawman that Dispensationals teach that Isreal and the Church are completly seperate, unrelated at all. While there were some in the early days of dispensationalism who would push things this far, this is by no way the norm, especially among dispensationals today, as Daniel David has amptly and rightly defended.

Putting this two strawmen away will help the two sides understand their differences more clearly and hopefully come to some mutual agreement.