1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is That in the Sky?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Kiffin, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Any amateur Astronomy buffs here? I do a little with some high powered binoculars and I have been observing a very bright planet that is orange colored since Sunday (June 17) between the times of 9 to 9:30 PM CDT. Any one know what planet this is that is visible to the naked eye? I knda believe it is Mars, maybe Jupiter. I think I even observed a moon with my binoculars but am uncertain. Any info would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fiery-orange Mars comes to opposition this month, passes closest to Earth, and shines at its brightest. You can't miss Mars blazing low in the southeast during evening. By the solstice (June 21- TODAY) Mars will already be up in good view as soon as twilight fades away.

To Mars' upper right is its rival for color, the star Antares (the name is Greek for "anti-Mars"), which is not nearly as bright.

3. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

Thanks Dr. Bob!

You have been a great help! [​IMG]

4. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

And I thought it was a weird, stationary UFO. Well, I guess I wasted that whole roll of film I took tonight. I was going to send it in to the Art Bell Show. By the way, if Jack Hyles can preach about UFO's, why can't I? Look for my new sermon: "If You Do Not Believe In Aliens, You Are Reprobate," coming to a website near you. Close your Bibles and just listen.

FundamentalDan

5. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

You aren't advocating that you believe in aliens FundamentalDan, are you? ;)

6. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I think it is a waste of time to try to prove intelligent life exists on other planets. I think those guys should concentrate on trying to prove intelligent life exists on Earth! :D

7. MikeJ

MikeJ New Member

Now for the flip side, what is the morning "star" visible at about 5:30 am EDT in the east?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MORNING STAR THIS JUNE?
    Venus is at greatest elongation, 46 degrees west of the Sun starting June 8th, 2001, shining brilliantly in the east before and during dawn.

LOOK AHEAD:
    June 25 - As twilight fades, look for Regulus shining about one fist-width to the lower right of the Moon.

June 28 - Spica shines to the Moon's lower left tonight. Mars is the brilliant orange "star" in the southeast to south these evenings. It far overpowers orange Antares to its right.

Around Antares and especially to its right, look for fainter white stars of the constellation Scorpius. Much higher in the sky after dark are the two brightest stars of summer — blue-white Vega, east of the zenith, and pale yellow-orange Arcturus, high toward the southwest or west.

Yes, you've stumbled onto another of my hobbies

9. FundamentalDan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Timotheus:
    You aren't advocating that you believe in aliens FundamentalDan, are you? ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Timotheus,

A famous preacher once said, "I have said it before and I will say it again. I am as sure as the fact that this pulpit is before me ((beating on pulpit)), that UFOs are real. I believe that God says, 'Okay, who wants to go look around earth today?' And I believe they have visited time and time again."

I am just wondering, Timotheus. Do I dare go against the preaching of this great man of God? I am sure that the Alien She-Bears will attack me if I do. By the way, that sermon is best listened to with the theme of the Twilight Zone playing softly in the background.

Dr. FundamentalDan, F.D.

An honorary doctor, given a doctorate by himself, who does not do physicals or minor surgery. Appendectomies we can talk about...

10. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

I like your sence of humor FundamentalDan! ;)

But don't you agree that the only aliens there are on planet earth who live separated from the love of God? [​IMG]

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dan - Haven't I warned youabout quoting nonsense on this Forum? [​IMG]

I got a real chuckle out of listening to Dr. Hyles preach that tripe. And you should hear the "Amens" from the crowds of mindless drones! :rolleyes: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight and turned to flight the armies of the aliens.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Man, I wish I could have videod that battle! George Lucas, move over! :eek:

12. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, what a warped sense of humor -- and to quote the Bible in the process -- to justify the existence of "aliens" on planet earth. :D

FundamentalDan, did you really quote one of the sermons of "Dr. H?!?!?!" :eek:

13. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan, did you really quote one of the sermons of "Dr. H?!?!?!" :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yes, to be precise, I quoted from the sermon, "How God Tidies Up Heaven." It was preached on October 17, 1982 at FBC. I will say that I love to hear his preaching and normally agree with much of what he says, but this time I think he was way out in left field. That is one of the dangers of springboard preaching-- sometimes you end up jumping into a pool that does not have any water in it. I think that was the case here. Either that or he was watching Dr. Bob's copy of _Star Wars_ while preparing his message.

Dr. FundamentalDan, but you can just call me sir.

14. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the info Dr. FundamentalDan! ;) But it still seems so unbelievable.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come on guys! I've taught every one of my children that UFOs are real!

Every time they see a flying object they can't identify, it's a UFO...until they identify it (99 times out of a 100, it's an airplane)....

Seriously, I remember the "UFO flaps" of the late 70's and early 80's; and then when the F-117 and B-2 were made public, I remember turning to the guy next to me and saying, "There goes 99% of the UFO sightings!"

16. Contender

Contender New Member

Never heard that one, Dan. Were you an HAC student then? Been a FBC member since 1974.Yes, to be precise, I quoted from the sermon, "How God Tidies Up Heaven." It was preached on October 17, 1982 at FBC. I have an opinion about UFOs and how they play a part in God's timeline, but don't want to open up another can of worms here. Have a bad back and can't sit long.

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm trying to get back into amateur astronomy as a hobby. Any tips? Resources?

18. FundamentalDan

Hey Contender,

Sorry about such a late reply on this post. I just noticed your answer. No, I have never been a HAC student. I am much younger than you think if you think I was a student there in 83. But I do have the sermon tape. I have a lot of tapes of Dr. Hyles and love his preaching. But, honestly, that sermon was off the wall. I could not even believe that one. BTW, the first time I listened to it, I was driving down the road and nearly wrecked my car laughing.

FundamentalDan

19. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://stardate.org/radio/s_radioscript.php

This is a GREAT beginner's site (and this has been a hobby for 45 years and I am still a beginner). Check it daily.

Also, you can buy a telescope with a powered stand (that moves it in sync with the rotation of the earth) for a few hundred $$. Well worth it.

And the little pocket "Golden Book of Astronomy" is a priceless gem (as is the one on weather - we actually used that at UW for a college text!!)

Jump back in.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Can't afford to spend a few hundred clams just yet. Already got one expensive hobby (Golf). Wife will kill me if I pick up another one right now :D