1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the best way to teach myself Greek?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Travelsong, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Impressive Gold Dragon, Thank you!

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you, also icthus, very good resources.

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know if this is any good, but they claim to have 52,000 students.

http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/

Looks like mostly modern Greek with just one course of ancient Greek.

4. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

So then there's no course on Koine then from kypros,

5. NateT

NateT Member

I would suggest Baugh's "A New Testament Greek Primer" It is one of two elementary texts used at SBTS. It takes the form of a workbook/text book. Chapters are typically 5 - 10 pages with enough exercises at the end of every chapter to keep you busy for an hour or two. Answers are in the back.

It is a good book in my mind because it teaches you how things are, without getting into too much morphology (how things came to be what they are.) I think for elementary students it can often be overwhelming.

At the end of Baugh, you'll be able to do read 1st john for the most part. I think it gives you all the words that are used more than 50 times in the NT as vocab.

6. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Morphology is NOT the study of “how things came to be what they are;” it is the study of the form and structure of things that are.

(Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)
    </font>[/QUOTE][​IMG]

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Craig, he explained what he meant, if the word didn't specifically mean that; I think his post was clear. People do not type perfect reports when they are posting; so I don't think they need teachers to correct them, especially if it does not relate to the debate.

8. Craigbythesea

Phillip,

This thread is about learning Greek. The English word “morphology” comes (through the German) from two Greek words meaning "the study of forms." Blatantly erroneous information about the Greek language and the study of it in a thread about learning the Greek language needs to be corrected. And this was not just a mistake that occurred through a typographical error; a word very important to the study of the Greek language was very incorrectly defined.

There is a vast difference between your background and mine, and perhaps that should be taken more carefully into consideration. I certainly take that into consideration when I respond to your posts.

May you and your family have a blessed Easter.

[​IMG]

9. NateT

NateT Member

I was mistaken on the word morphology. Baugh does discuss the forms of Present Active Indicatives, etc. However, what I was trying to say is for the most part he says the PAI 1st person plural of Luw is luomen and then states that all PAI1P will have the form root + omen. He does not get into any more depth than that. And talking from my friends who had mounce's book, it seems as if he did. I could be wrong, as I never used Mounce, just going on what I've been told.

Nevertheless, I'd still recommen Baugh [​IMG]

10. NateT

NateT Member

As an aside, what is the word for how forms shift over time. For example, a word might exist now (or in the Koine time) as a different root than before, but it still holds the endings etc from the old root?

Thanks

11. Craigbythesea

I am not entirely certain what you asking here, but it sounds to me that you are thinking of irregular Greek verbs. These irregularities arise from two different causes:

1. Changes is the formation of the stem.

2. Two or more different roots and stems from originally entirely different verbs. These are also known a “defective” verbs. Example: ερχομαι = I come/go. Present indicative tense stem = ερκ-; ελευσομαι, future indicative tense stem = ελευ-; ηλθον, second aorist indicative tense stem = ελθ-. We find this type of irregular verb also in English. Example: I go (present tense), I went (past historic tense), to wend (the old form of the infinitive now used almost exclusively in poetry and high prose instead of “to go,” the modern form of the infinitive).

Irregular Greek verbs caused by two or more different roots and stems from originally entirely different verbs at different stages in the development of the language seem to come the closest to what you are describing, but I do not know of a term to specifically describe the process.

[​IMG]

12. Gottit

Gottit Guest

The study of Greek and Hebrew can be fascinating. It also shows how our English language has so many varying usages of any particular word. But the English language must always be considered in the context which it is given.

The arguement against English and saying it "lacks" in defintion is rather silly, especially when one considers it while they use English to explain Greek or Hebrew.

I firmly believe this one thing: Greek compliments the Word of God in English. It also should cause one to consider context the necxt time they "think" they klnow what a translation is saying, or whether or not that translation is correct.

Hebrew must be considered when compared to the English into which it is translated to determine just what the intent is when application of certain doctrinal passages. It would certainly help do away with alot of liberal interpretaions when it comes to defining "holiness" as a way of life; God' way of life that is.