1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the Fate of Planet Earth?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread, this premise was submitted:
    I think that is totally erroneous and rather than derail that thread, have opted for a new one.

Open for discussion. I will wait a while (you all know that I think it is wrong) to share any further thoughts and scriptural references.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

2 Peter 3:7 - "But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men."

I'll admit that I'm not completely sure...

3. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I believe this planet earth shall be burned completed but, not destroyed like as exploded.

Look at the flood destroyed the earth, but earth was not exploded.

Many believe earth will be destroyed like as pass away - Matt 24:35, Rev. 20:11, & Rev. 21:1. That means, earth shall be destroyed like as explode. Well, earth could be explode. Remember, God is an omnipotent. God have the power to destroy earth quickly as He wants to.

Many believe this same earth shall be transform into a new earth. I do.

But, I don't care either earth shall be explode or burned away as it transform into a new earth. We still shall looking forward for a literal NEW earth, that God shall recreate it all new things again. - Isa. 65:17; 2 Peter 3:12-13, and Rev. 21:1.

The only basic thing I KNOW for sure, this old earth shall be destroyed by fire - 2 Peter 3:10.

Now, discuss on 'end of the world' & 'end of the age'. I understand what Christ saying on that - Matt. 13:39,40,49; 24:3; 28:20, it means end of the TIME or age. Right now, we are not yet in eternality age, we are in running time as the government and Satan is still working hard to tempt people, and he is the prince of the air. Satan controls the system - 2 Thess. 2:7a. Still, God is in His control everything above over Satan. God allows Satan to control the governments over the world. The world is filled with wicked and sinful.

The time shall be end, Satan's work shall be end, the humankind era of the world will be end, WHEN Christ comes again with His angels. Christ shall wipe wicked everything out over the world. He shall destroy the earth with fire. Satan shall be cast into the lake of fire.

Then, Christ shall judge all people. After the judgement day finished. Christ shall recreate new heavens and a new earth, then send New Jerusalem from heaven, descend to land on the new earth.

Then, the saints shall be happy live and reigning with Christ on new earth forever and ever.

That what the Bible teaches us about the end times or 'Eschatology'.

I am looking forward for it!! Aren't you looking forward for it?

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

4. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Dr. Bob Griffin,

The reason I posted at topic - 'WHAT IF Pretribulation doctrine is wrong', because.

LadyEagle said,

That why, I reply back about the earth, what will happen in the future.

I do not post in the wrong place, I did the right thing to post according what LadyEagle said. I just stay focus on the same issue discuss about the Eschatology doctrine.

I hope that you understand clear what I am talking about on the 'end of the world'.

By the way, Pretribulation doctrine always invlove with Eschatology doctrine issue, we know that.

In Christ

p.s. Have you yet watch classic 1977 Star Wars movie? If anyone already watched it before, I am sure that anyone would understand what I am talking about. If you not yet watch that movie, then you might not get it what I am talking about.

5. Tim

Tim New Member

I agree with DPT on this, the world may be destroyed by fire as it was destroyed by the flood. The "new" earth does not mean a completely new creation ex nihilo. We are a new creation in Christ, ultimately our bodies will be glorified (not made again ex nihilo). The earth is awaiting its ultimate redemption, not its ultimate destruction.
    Tim

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think atoms. Ultra-kabillions of them. God spoke them into existence and then from some of them formed the heavens and earth.

In II Peter 3 the elements are "dissolved" (melted; think nuclear fusion, not fission) and then a NEW heaven and earth formed by God from those atoms.

Basic physics says you can't destroy an atom. You burn wood and it changes atoms but not destroyed. So heaven/earth is dissolved and God takes those atoms (still the same bunch from creation when He spoke them into existence) and makes a perfect new heaven/earth.

But the graphic language of Peter and John is amazingly similar to the "Death Star" explosion from Star Wars 1.

"Use the Force, Luke."

7. Tim

Tim New Member

Dr. Bob,

I think you're interpreting the word "elements" by it's modern scientific usage, rather than by it's historical usage. Paul uses the word in Gal. 4:3 & 9 and Col. 2:8 & 20 to mean the rudimentary things (of the OT Law), i.e. the order of things as they are.

To believe that the "order of things" will burn and melt does not necessarily suggest total vaporization of the earth.

Tim

P.S.Romans 8 seems to suggest that all of creation is awaiting it's redemption from the effects of the curse--not its destruction

8. brumleyj

brumleyj New Member

please read zechariah 14:1-11 and ezekiel 40-43 chapter they are both talking about Jesus christ will establish new kindgom at second advent. we are now on present age of earth. when Jesus christ come and establish new earth and new heaven next ages of enterality kindgom.

jbrumley
    Ps 27:1
    amem

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Gen 8:21 And Jehovah smelled the sweet savor; and Jehovah said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake, for that the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more everything living, as I have done .
    22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Psalm 148

1 Praise ye Jehovah. Praise ye Jehovah from the heavens: Praise him in the heights.
    2 Praise ye him, all his angels: Praise ye him, all his host.
    3 Praise ye him, sun and moon: Praise him, all ye stars of light.
    4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, And ye waters that are above the heavens.
    5 Let them praise the name of Jehovah; For he commanded, and they were created.
    6 He hath also established them for ever and ever: He hath made a decree which shall not pass away.

Ecclesiastes 1:4 One generation goeth, and another generation cometh; but the earth abideth for ever.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rev 20:11 "And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them."

Rev. 21:1 "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away."

Trying to figure how much clearer a teaching could be? At the end of the Kingdom and the Great White Throne Judgment, the OLD heavens/earth as we know it now are GONE and then God creates a NEW heaven/earth.

Unless we just say it is NOT REAL, but all allegory and mystical and mumbo-jumbo! That's not my hermeneutic, so I'll pass . .

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think my "mumbo-jumbo" has pretty good company. Though they may not be IFB'rs, nor have the advanced intellect of Jack Van Impe and Hal Lindsey they seem to have an above avg IQ:

Galatians 4:3-9 "So also we, while we were children, were held in bondage under the elemental things of the world. But when the fulness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, in order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. . . But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again?
    John Owen on the New Heavens and Earth

David Chilton (1987) "Moreover, the phrase heaven and earth in these contexts does not, as Owen pointed out, refer to the physical heaven and the physical world, but to the world-order, the religious organizations of the world, the "House" or Temple God builds in which He is worshipped." (Days of Vengeance., p. 544)

John Lightfoot (1859)
    "That the destruction of Jerusalem is very frequently expressed in Scripture as if it were the destruction of the whole world, Deut. 32:22; "A fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.' Jer. 4:23; 'I beheld the earth, and lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light,' &c. The discourse there also is concerning the destruction of that nation, Isa. 65:17; 'Behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered,' &c. And more passages of this sort among the prophets. According to this sense, Christ speaks in this place; and Peter speaks in his Second Epistle, third chapter; and John, in the sixth of the Revelation; and Paul, 2 Cor. 5:17, &c. (vol. 2, pp. 18-19)
    "With the same reference it is, that the times and state of things immediately following the destruction of Jerusalem are called 'a new creation,' new heavens,' and 'a new earth.' When should that be? Read the whole chapter; and you will find the Jews rejected and cut off; and from that time is that new creation of the evangelical world among the Gentiles.
    Compare 2 Cor. 5:17 and Rev. 21:1,2; where, the old Jerusalem being cut off and destroyed, a new one succeeds; and new heavens and a new earth are created.
    2 Peter 3:13: 'We, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth.' The heaven and the earth of the Jewish church and commonwealth must be all on fire, and the Mosaic elements burnt up; but we, according to the promise made to us by Isaiah the prophet, when all these are consumed, look for the new creation of the evangelical state" (vol. 3, p.453)
    "That the destruction of Jerusalem and the whole Jewish state is described as if the whole frame of the world were to be dissolved. Nor is it strange, when God destroyed his habitation and city, places once so dear to him, with so direful and sad an overthrow; his own people, whom he accounted of as much or more than the whole world beside, by so dreadful and amazing plagues. Matt. 24:29,30, 'The sun shall be darkened &c. Then shall appear the 'sign of the Son of man,' &c; which yet are said to fall out within that generation, ver. 34. 2 Pet. 3:10, 'The heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat,' &c. Compare with this Deut. 32:22, Heb. 12:26: and observe that by elements are understood the Mosaic elements, Gal 4:9, Coloss. 2:20: and you will not doubt that St. Peter speaks only of the conflagration of Jerusalem, the destruction of the nation, and the abolishing the dispensation of Moses" (vol. 3, p. 452).

John Locke(1705) "That St. Paul should use 'heaven' and 'earth' for Jews and Gentiles will not be thought so very strange if we consider that Daniel himself expresses the nation of the Jews by the name of 'heaven' (Dan. viii. 10). Nor does he want an example of it in our Saviour Himself, who (Luke xxi. 26) by "powers of heaven" plainly signifies the great men of the Jewish nation. Nor is this the only place in the Epistle of St. Paul to the Ephesians which will bear this interpretation of heaven and earth. He who shall read the first fifteen verses of chap. iii. and carefully weigh the expressions, and observe the drift of the apostle in them, will not find that he does manifest violence to St. Paul's sense if he understand by "The family in heaven and earth" (ver. 15) the united body of Christians, made up of Jews and Gentiles, living still promiscuously among those twp sorts of people who continueds in their unbelief. However, this interpretation I am not positive in , but offer it as matter of inquiry to those who think and impartial search into the true meaning of the Sacred Scriptures the best employment of all the time they have." (Ephesians 2:9-10, in loc.)
    Moses Stuart (1836)
    (On Heb. 12:25-29) "That the passage has respect to the changes which would be introduced by the coming of the Messiah, and the new dispensation which he would commence, is evident from Haggai ii. 7-9. Such figurative language is frequent in the Scriptures, and denotes great changes which are to take place. So the apostle explains it here, in the very next verse. (Comp. Isa. 13:13; Haggai 2:21,22; Joel 3:16; Matt. 24:29-37). (Hebrews, in loc.)

Milton Terry (1898)
    "That these texts may intimate or simply foreshadow some such ultimate reconstruction of the physical creation, need not be denied, for we know not the possibilities of the future, nor the purposes of God respecting all things which he has created. but the contexts of these several passages do not authorize such a doctrine. Isaiah 51:16, refers to the resuscitation of Zion and Jerusalem, and is clearly metaphorical. The same is true of Isa. 65:17, and 66:22, for the context in all these places confines the reference to Jerusalem and the people of God, and sets forth the same great prophetic conception of the Messianic future as the closing chapters of Ezekiel. The language of 2 Pet. iii, 10, 12, is taken mainly from Isa. 34:4, and is limited to the parousia, like the language of Matt. 24:29. Then the Lord made 'not only the land but also the heaven' to tremble (Heb 12:26), and removed the things that were shaken in order to establish a kingdom which cannot be moved (Heb. 12:27,28)." (Biblical Hermeneutics, p. 489).

Jonathan Edwards (1739) )
    "Thus there was a final end to the Old Testament world: all was finished with a kind of day of judgment, in which the people of God were saved, and His enemies terribly destroyed." (History of Redemption, vol. i. p. 445)

Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
    "The figurative language of the prophets is taken from the analogy between the world natural and an empire or kingdom considered as a world politic. Accordingly, the world natural, consisting of heaven and earth, signifies the whole world politic, consisting of thrones and people, or so much of it as is considered in prophecy; and the things in that world signify the analogous things in this. For the heavens and the things therein signify thrones and dignities, and those who enjoy them: and the earth, with the things thereon, the inferior people; and the lowest parts of the earth, called Hades or Hell, the lowest or most miserable part of them. Great earthquakes, and the shaking of heaven and earth, are put for the shaking of kingdoms, so as to distract and overthrow them; the creating of a new heaven and earth, and the passing of an old one; or the beginning and end of a world, for the rise and ruin of a body politic signified thereby. The sun, for the whole species and race of kings, in the kingdoms of the world politic; the moon, for the body of common people considered as the king's wife; the starts, for subordinate princes and great men; or for bishops and rulers of the people of God, when the sun is Christ. Setting of the sun, moon, and stars; darkening the sun, turning the moon into blood, and falling of the stars, for the ceasing of a kingdom." (Observations on the Prophecies, Part i. chap. ii)

John Owen (1721)
    'It is evident, then, that in the prophetical idiom and manner of speech, by heavens and earth, the civil and religious state and combination of men in the world, and the men of them, were often understood. So were the heavens and earth that world which then was destroyed by the flood.
    ' 4. On this foundation I affirm that the heavens and earth here intended in this prophecy of Peter, the coming of the Lord, the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men, mentioned in the destruction of that heaven and earth, do all of them relate, not to the last and final judgment of the world, but to that utter desolation and destruction that was to be made of the Judaical church and state
    'First, There is the foundation of the apostle's inference and exhortation, seeing that all these things, however precious they seem, or what value soever any put upon them, shall be dissolved, that is, destroyed; and that in that dreadful and fearful manner before mentioned, in a day of judgment, wrath, and vengeance, by fire and sword; let others mock at the threats of Christ's coming: He will come- He will not tarry; and then the heavens and earth that God Himself planted, -the sun, moon, and stars of the Judaical polity and church, -the whole old world of worship and worshippers, that stand out in their obstinancy against the Lord Christ, shall be sensibly dissolved and destroyed: this we know shall be the end of these things, and that shortly." (Sermon on 2 Peter iii. 11 , Works, folio, 1721.).

C.H. Spurgeon (1865) "Did you ever regret the absence of the burnt-offering, or the red heifer, of any one of the sacrifices and rites of the Jews? Did you ever pine for the feast of tabernacle, or the dedication? No, because, though these were like the old heavens and earth to the Jewish believers, they have passed away, and we now live under the new heavens and a new earth, so far as the dispensation of divine teaching is concerned. The substance is come, and the shadow has gone: and we do not remember it." (Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit, vol. xxxvii, p. 354).

John Brown (1853) " 'Heaven and earth passing,' understood literally, is the dissolution of the present system of the universe, and the period when that is to take place, is called the 'end of the world.' But a person at all familiar with the phraseology of the Old Testament Scriptures, knows that the dissolution of the Mosaic economy, and the establishment of the Christian, is often spoken of as the removing of the old earth and heavens, and the creation of a new earth and new heavens" (vol. 1, p. 170)
    "It appears, then, that is Scripture be the best interpreter of Scripture, we have in the Old Testament a key to the interpretation of the prophecies in the New. The same symbolism is found in both, and the imagery of Isaiah, Ezekiel, and the other prophets helps us to understand the imagery of St. Matthew, St. Peter, and St. John. As the dissolution of the material world is not necessary to the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy, neither is it necessary to the accomplishment of the predictions of the New Testament. But though symbols are metaphorical expressions, they are not unmeaning. It is not necessary to allegorise them, and find a corresponding equivalent for every trope; it is sufficient to regard the imagery as employed to heighten the sublimity of the prediction and to clothe it with impressiveness and grandeur. There are, at the same time, a true propriety and an underlying reality in the symbols of prophecy. The moral and spiritual facts which they represent, the social and ecumenical changes which they typify, could not be adequately set forth by language less majestic and sublime. There is reason for believing that an inadequate apprehension of the real grandeur and significance of such events as the destruction of Jerusalem and the abrogation of the Jewish economy lies at the root of that system of interpretation which maintains that nothing answering to the symbols of the New Testament prophecy has ever taken place. Hence the uncritical and unscriptural figments of double senses, and double, triple, and multiple fulfillments of prophecy. That physical disturbances in nature and extraordinary phenomena in the heavens and in the earth may have accompanied the expiring throes of the Jewish dispensation we are not prepared to deny. It seems to us highly probable that such things were. But the literal fulfillment of the symbols is not essential to the verification of prophecy, which is abundantly proved to be true by the recorded facts of history." (vol. i. p.200).

Holman Bible Dictionary "Jesus as Doer of God's Mighty Works This One who was raised, the same One who died, had performed the miracles of God's kingdom in our time and space. John testified that in the doing of God's mighty works Jesus was the prophet sent from God (John 6:14). He healed all kinds of persons, a sign of God's ultimate healing. He raised some from the dead, a sign that He would bring God's resurrection life to all who would receive it. He cast out evil spirits as a preview of God's final shutting away of the evil one (Rev. 20). He was Lord over nature, indicating that by His power God was already beginning to create a new heaven and a new earth (Rev. 21:1). The spectacular impact of His mighty works reinforced and called to mind the power of His teachings. (J. Ramsey Michaels in the Holman Bible Dictionary.)

Origen (2nd Century) "For if the heavens are to be changed, assuredly that which is changed does not perish, and if the fashion of the world passes away, it is by no means an annihilation or destruction of their material substance that is shown to take place, but a kind of change of quality and transformation of appearance. Isaiah also, in declaring prophetically that there will be a new heaven and a new earth, undoubtedly suggests a similar view. "(Principles, 2:6:4)

Stanley Paher
    "Several Biblical references show that the phrase 'heaven and earth' is a figurative expression to denote the Jewish economy, its religious society and government."
    Luke 16:17 declares that it 'is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fall.' Again, the Jewish society is meant. In the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5:18), Jesus declared, 'Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass away till all things be accomplished.' All things needed to be fulfilled which had been written in the Psalms, Moses, and in the scrolls of the other prophets (Luke 24:44; see also John 17:4). The last of these temporal events would be the dissolution of the Jewish economy." (p. 152)

12. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Dr. Bob Griffin,

I am not worry about this old planet earth, this will not be last forever, this shall be pass away.

2 Cor. 5:17 - "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new."

Does that mean our physical died as passed away accord to 2 Cor. 5L17? No, it speaks of our spiritual life, when we born again- repent, we must put old habits and sins AWAY, no more doing old habits again, because we are in Christ. It speaks of repentance.

Same idea this old earth, we will remember NO MORE, we all shall see EVERYTHING on new earth and new heaven are NEW!!!!

It doesn't matter to me how this old planet earth shall be destroyed. I only know God shall destroyed this earth, as what God does to Sodom.

I am looking forward for new heavens and a new earth - 2 Peter 3:12-13 & Romans 8:19-23 too!!! [​IMG]

In Christ

13. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Grasshopper,

Yes, I understand, we are no longer under the old covenant anymore. Now, we are under the new covenant because of Calvary.

God allows Romans invaded Jerusalem, and DESTROYED the building of the temple in 70 A.D.

We do not need it anymore, because Christ is our temple.

But, we should know the lesson what God already done with flood and Sodom, both were literal destroyed. World was destroyed with flood literally. Sodom was destroy with FIRE.

Same as this old planet earth shall be destroyed by FIREliterally. That would be in the future event.

Right now, we already see many curses on trees, grass, waters everywhere on earth, everything are dying. Look at the nations, they do not have real peace, they fighting each other daily, destroyed houses, buildings, etc.... There is NO real peace on this old planet earth. Till Christ comes, then He will destroy everything of the earth, then he shall recreate this earth to become into a NEW, and we shall remember them NO MORE forever and ever.

I am looking forward for new heavens and a new earth - physical and literal - Romans 8:19-23 and 2 Peter 3:12-13. [​IMG]

Aren't you eager looking forward for it?

In Christ

14. brumleyj

brumleyj New Member

MATTHEW HENRY {1662-1714}

A new world now opens to our view i saw a new heaven and a new earth; that is,a new universe; for we suppose the wrold to be made up of heaven and earth. By the new earth we may understand a new state for the bodies of men, as well as a heaven for thier souls. this world is not new newly created, but newly opened, and filled with all those were the hiers of it. the new heaven and the new earth will not then be distinct; the very earth of the saints, their glorifed bodies, will now be spirtual and heavenly, and suited to those pure and bright mansions. to make way for the commencement of this new world, the old world, with all its troubles and commotions passed way.

he understand very clear of Revelation 21:1-2 well.