1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is true evangelism?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by 4study, Sep 8, 2003.

1. 4study

4study New Member

What is true evangelism?

The mainstream concept of evangelism suggests that unless we “preach the gospel to every creature” they will remain lost and hell-bound. Thus the sense of urgency and imperativeness often heard in the subject of soul-winning.

The problem I have with mainstream evangelism is this underlying thought. It teaches that a person cannot be born again unless the Roman Road or other similar scripture(s) is preached to them. I, for one, have been taught that unless I do this, the blood of those whom I’ve had opportunity to “share Christ with” will be on my hands. As if it’s ultimately up to me whether they hear God’s Word or not.

Is this really scriptural? Is one’s eternal fate dependant upon whether or not they’ve had a Bible-thumping preacher knock on their door? Furthermore, is this what Christ meant by the Great Commission?

Opinions please.

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

The problem I've always had with those who demand that a specific, certain sequence of words or verses must be presented in evangelism is that I can't find such a notion in the Bible.

The "Romans Road" wasn't used by the disciples; it didn't exist as such until the book of Romans was Inspired as a record of their actions & events. Likewise, what sequence of verses (or even formal prayer) did the thief on the cross need/use to attain salvation? It was his simple, instantaneous recognition of Jesus as being who He claimed to be that saved him.

I've personally heard KJVO's state that unless a person was led to Christ through the KJV that the person was not saved. Of course, that begs the often asked (but never answered) question about how non-English speakers are saved, or even how a London-resident who died in 1609 (2 years before the KJV came out) could ever be saved? Many KJVO's will say that the KJV is necessary for all English-speakers, which essentially means that God has a different standard for people to be saved, based upon their nationality. (I don't buy that.) (Let alone what to say about those who are saved through English language versions other other than the KJV?.)

Also, where in the Bible does it state that a specific prayer is necessary for salvation? Even John R. Rice believed, (as he wrote in his book "Prayer: Asking & Receiving"), that prayer in and of itself was not necessary for a person to be saved. It's repentance and belief that saves a person, pure & simple.

[In case anyone is wondering: I prayed to receive Jesus, being led from the KJV.]

[ September 08, 2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: LarryN ]

3. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Some may go to the extreme of saying this, but me for one believe that a person can get saved by hearing the clear Gospel message of Jesus' Death, Burial, and Resurrection.
    I agree, but I believe we must call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    Amen!

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ro.4:14How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?

We are to share the gospel with unbelievers, no matter what scripture you choose to use to tell them about Jesus.

5. LarryN

LarryN New Member

quote: (originally by LarryN):
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, where in the Bible does it state that a specific prayer is necessary for salvation? Even John R. Rice believed, (as he wrote in his book "Prayer: Asking & Receiving"), that prayer in and of itself was not necessary for a person to be saved. It's repentance and belief that saves a person, pure & simple.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply: I agree, but I believe we must call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

LarryN: I want to emphasize that I in no way mean to denigrate prayer (either verbal or non-verbal). What I'm really getting at is that the verbal aspect of it cannot be an absolute requirement. Returning to the thief on the cross: had he not verbally stated what he did, but rather simply thought & felt it in his heart, would God not have recognized it? I've heard the expression made that "Prayer is an attitude of the heart". If the "call" must be verbal, then someone who is genetically mute would have no hope whatsoever of salvation.