1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Is Wrong With Bob Jones?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Palmetto Boy

Palmetto Boy New Member

I agree. There are some evangelical schools I wouldn't trust in this regard because they seem so enamored of academic respect, but I think that fundamental schools will show the backbone to give up regional accreditation if it requires compromise.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Looking back it seems like I can say the same thing. But it does seem as though there is something about what the leaders of the school stand for is not the same what I see in their graduates. I feel as though their graduates are better than the leaders.

3. superdave

superdave New Member

Here is a pretty clear statement regarding accreditation from the President of MBBC, if you want to read the whole thing, or link to other information about their academics

Click Here

- Dr. Dave Jaspers

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, superdave.

As I understand it, if you come with a master's to teach for MBBC, they'll pay for you to get your doctorate. So several of the teachers I know are right now working on their doctorate at Trinity or Central.

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

- Dr. Dave Jaspers </font>[/QUOTE]You’re right—Dave Jaspers is a great guy. He was a good evangelist before he became a college president. I am confident that he has not the slightest intention of compromising the least bit. However, the bane of compromise for Dave Jaspers or anyone else, including myself, is gradualism. Compromise is so insidious that it sneaks up on you in tiny, undetectable little waves until you suddenly find yourself awash in a sea of compromised values. Each small lap of the wave is innocuous of itself. Like the tide coming in, you don’t realize the danger until you’re caught in the backwash. We’re all at risk and we really can’t say what we will do when that day comes.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Looking back it seems like I can say the same thing. But it does seem as though there is something about what the leaders of the school stand for is not the same what I see in their graduates. I feel as though their graduates are better than the leaders. </font>[/QUOTE]I cannot agree with your assessment. Dr. Bob, Jr. probably has been vilified as the most narrow and bigoted of the BJU leadership yet he was a kind, gentle and compassionate man without pride or arrogance. Sadly enough, he has been caricatured and misrepresented by his detractors to the public. We are not talking about a dichotomy between leadership and commoners (i.e. graduates).

BJU’s problem has been one of perception and stereotyping. From a distance, people hold poor estimations of BoJo but they usually change their opinion upon closer inspection and getting to know the people. However, this is not to say that BJU doesn’t have its share of zingers or losers. These zingers often live up to the archetype buggers that most people think characterize BoJo. The result is that the zingers reinforce the bad image out there. So, it’s a PR problem, not reality.

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I think a lot of Christians had a kind of "fort" mentality when America was falling apart at the seams back in the 1960-70's. Everything must be judged in context of time and history.

If we had been cussed, maligned and abused as much as BJU, then perhaps we would start building walls for protection too. BTW, it seems to me that BJU students have always been active in community service. It is just more visible now and they get recognition for it.