1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is wrong with Kentucky?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 14, 2006.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If you were playing on the road I would agree with you. However, at home Kentucky should beat SC by 10-15 points everytime. If you have to be saved by 2 wild three pointers at the end then you did not outplay a mediocre SC team.

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Another year, another team maybe. Not this year, with this team. BTW, Vandy killed us at Rupp in a humiliating loss. The score may have ended up being 57-52, but we were down the entire game. This mediocre SC team beat Vandy. I don't think we were saved by Spark's 3. It was good, but I don't think the game was made, or broken (if he would have missed), by that shot. In fact, my dh reminded me that when Spark's made his three we were only down by 2. As for Rondo's shot it won us the game. It was not a wild shot, just unexpected, as Rondo rarely shoots, and makes 3's. We are going to have to work harder as a team than we had to do in the past. Who knows, but it is probably good for us. Let's put it this way. I don't think SC outplayed us, but we didn't outplay them either. I mean our offense was 55.9% from the field. Pretty good considering the inconsistencies in this team.

3. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I can't believe that I just found this thread. I am a HUGE Cats fan and have been for thirty years. I folowwed them even when they were down in the probation years, I followed them through three straight national championship games, through "team turmoil", and I will follow them through the next National Championship.

I don't think it is the talent level (3 McDonald's All-Americans in the sophomore class). I don't think it is the coach (Great coach, maybe too nice). I think it is something in the team chemistry with so many very good players and it seems like each one of them wants to be the star, the go-to guy, and they are not playing the kind of team ball that is necessary for consistency. Also, I think with Morris returning and a few games under their belt to become used to playing inside-outside instead of just one-on-one driving to the basket that you will see a completely different team come March.

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I agree Artimaeus. Inconsistency really hurts this UK team. I have noticed that in some of our games this year we have not played with the same intensity and heart of previous UK teams. We had to make adjustments once Morris returned, and it seems as if we are now finally starting to gel as a team.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Thanks! :D Bruce Pearl could be the one to restore Tennessee's basketball tradition, especially the success we had under Ray Mears.

Congrats on beating South Carolina. I believe our win against the Gamecocks down there when we trailed by almost double digits at the half was a huge victory for us. Anyway, that win was huge. Finally time for Rondo to come through.

I'm disappointed I won't be in attendance at Rupp or Thompson-Boling when the Vols and the Cats renew their historic rivalry. Until the mid '90s, there was a long stretch where UK couldn't win in Knoxville, particularly in the days of old Stokely Center (which still stands, as a practice facility for the Lady Vols til we get our new practice facility).

Got a question...maybe I've already asked it...do you think losing Chuck Hayes was maybe a bigger blow to the Cats than we thought?

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The question of team chemistry is a good one, and a likely culprit. I know it played a part in UT's football disaster this year. It's hurt many a talented teams.

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Chuck Hayes could not be replaced but someone should have stepped up to fill the gap even if not as well. So far, no one has. Randolph Morris could. He seems to be getting more mature each game. Patrick Sparks should have but hasn't. Even Rondo could but, being a sophomore, it is difficult.

8. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

TV,

I am going to go with Art's answer on this one. Chuck Hayes was a BIG playmaker. He was excellent in the inside as well as the perimeter. He was an all around player. So was Azabukie, IMO. I have got to admit Morris has matured a lot this season. I think the whole NBA debacle was a wake-up call to him. Last season he was a "lazy" player. He definitely didn't give his all 100% of the time. It didn't matter, though, because we had Hayes to bail him out. Morris is playing better this year, but he is not Hayes. I think by next season Rondo will be up to par, but as Art pointed out, he is only a sophomore. I also am interested in how Crawford develops. He has had some pretty good games, and I think he can be valuable if he is consistent.

Anyway, UT is definitely a strong opponent this year. We are going to have to be on point when we play them, or it could spell disaster. I'm not worried, though. :D

9. PastorSBC1303

Ahhh those bluegrass colored glasses are nice, huh :cool: [​IMG]

I would be worried [​IMG]

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

With the Vols ranked 19th and the Cats ranked...uh....... [​IMG] I might rethink my anxieties [​IMG]

Patrick Sparks is a good story, but I believe he overacheived last year. Counting on him to be force probably isn't realistic. Rondo has a lot of upside, as does Morris, but you wonder where their heads are.

That all being said, I believe losing Hayes has been far more detrimental than we thought, on both ends of the floor, but particularly on defense.

11. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

PSBC1303,

I have faith in my Cats, and as everyone knows faith can move mountains. :D :cool: ;)

TV,

Sparks seems to be improving with each game, but you may be right about last year. I really like Rondo, and he is one of the best guards in the league. Morris is a good inside player, but tends to get in foul trouble easily.

As far as losing Hayes, I do not think it has affected our defense as much as our offense. Tubby is a defensive coach. The players have to play good defense or he will bench them. He did that with Azabukie, who came in as the leading highschool scorer from Oklahoma. He turned out to be a dominant player on our team, until he left.

Hayes was a dominant force in the inside, offensively. This is where we are lacking the most this year. Obrzut has shown great improvement since last year, and stepped up this year before Morris returned. Between Morris and Obrzut I think we will start to see improvement in this area. Another diamond in the rough, so to speak, for this team, is Joe Crawford. He stepped up again last night, against Auburn, with 23 points. We have turned the corner, and by February you will see a different team, completely. In any event I am hoping for a good game when we play you guys.

12. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

You shouldn't abuse your obvious gift of prophecy. [​IMG] He really had a good game.

13. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trying not to be negative, but I still do not like the way the team looks. Getting in the tourney is no guarantee this year. I hope I am wrong.

Morris is looking good as is Crawford and Rondo. Sparks looks to have gotten some confidence back.

Sims has disappeared and must be in Tubby's doghouse. Carter has gone away also so why didn't they just redshirt him? He has much more potential than the other 7 footers.

There have been some very interesting articles from CBS Sportsline and ESPN about the entire UK mess and I will try to find them again. Do any of you frequent the boards at wildcatfaithful?

Go Big Blue!

14. GLC

GLC New Member

Filmproducer: Interesting comment about Orbzut's improvement. How are you measuring that? He does not score, gets precious few rebounds, no blocked shots, fouls on defense and struggles to catch a pass without bobbling the ball. I think part of KY's struggles have to do with a few players being on the roster that don't have major college talent. I do think the team will end up being pretty good this year. However, the inside game is far too weak anytime Morris has to rest.

15. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo!

I am not a Tubby basher, but his recruiting has been very suspect over the last few years as some articles have pointed out recently.

UK use to get the cream of the crop recruits. They would #1 in recruiting. Now, most want to go elsewhere and not play in Tubby's boring style of offense. IMHO, I still believe a change is needed.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Congrats on the Lady Wildcats beating the Lady Vols last night. Got to be the biggest win in your program's history.

Did you know Pat Summitt almost accepted the head coaching job at Kentucky back in the 70s? UK slightly increased her salary that she received at UT, but would not pay her moving expenses to Lexington from Knoxville. So Pat stayed.

Just think...for a few hundred dollars, y'all could have MORE national championship banners hanging in Rupp [​IMG]

AF GUY,
    I think both UT/UK games will be good.

17. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw that. This is one of the best Ladycat teams I have ever seen. Good for them. Maybe they can represent UK well this season.

UT men's team is looking awfully good thus far. We will have to play great to win either game.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

We have a big test tomorrow night at home against South Carolina. They have played well as of late and had us down BIG at the half when we played them there (we came back and beat them).

There will likely be around 24,000 to help us out tomorrow night [​IMG]

19. PastorSBC1303

I saw the highlights form the LadyCats win, that is a big win. That is pretty amazing that UK could have had Coach Summitt for just a few extra dollars. I guess the folks at UK were kicking themselves on that decision.

Is it possible that the LadyCats are better than the MenCats this year :D [​IMG]

20. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think as of now that answer is YES!