1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is your "theory of sin?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Alcott, Dec 28, 2011.

?
  1. Anything that violates the Ten Commandments

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Anything that violates the Noahic Covenant following the flood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Anything that violates applicable scripture, as I understand it

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Whatever I determine violates preponderance of scripture

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Whatever violates the dictates (e.g., "Church Covenant") of the church I support

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Whatever my conscience tells me is sin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Whatever violates what Jesus said are the 2 greatest commandments

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. Anything which is self-centered

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Anything for which there is clearly something better to do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. It's a matter of inner leading by the Spirit; not necessarily describable

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

me too!!!!

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

How would you define sin a sbeing before the law was given through Moses?

3. JesusFan

Sin is whenever we do not think act operate as jesus would!

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ten commandments were always in effect....that is why you have confusion about law and grace in the other threads....
    There are people alive today that have never heard of the bible who will be judged by the ten commandments.

Sin is regulated by the direct commandments of God... not what we think or how we act......stealing is stealing no matter how we think about it...because of the command thou shalt not steal......not because of the wristband wwjd

#24 Iconoclast, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
  5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What difference does that make to you, since you claimed ALL laws are from the decalogue?

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a "theory" howbeit not totally formulated. Help Please.

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, Eph 2:1 And you, who were dead in trespasses and sins; (Now that is written to you however are not all men born of women dead in trespasses and sins per verse from Gal 3:22?) (Born of woman = [except Jesus and even he was made of woman made under the law, yet without sin]). (Dead in trespasses and sins.) = 1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

(If sin is the transgression of the law, what are trespasses?
    Jameison-Faussett-Brown Commentary quotes BENGEL, refers "trespasses" to the Jews who had the law, and yet revolted from it; "sins," to the Gentiles who know not God. Google Johann (John) Bengel
    I believe Bengel has it backward being the law was given to Israel their sins would have been to transgress the law and to others "trespasses" would apply. compare the following.)

Romans 5:12-14 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned (in trespasses) from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come. (As Gal. 3:22 states) But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, (under sin being in dying they will surely be dead, dying thou dost die Gen. 2:17)

(In Gen 1:29,30 before trespasses and sin we learn God gave to man herb seed and tree seed for food and beast herb seed for food. I show this because of what Old Union Brother posted from Rom 14:23 concerning eating of faith. I believe to eat of faith is the same as Jesus spoke of in John 6.)
    John 6:53-57 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is meat (food) indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. (A prophesy) (Death and Life are related to eating. We see that Life is related to eating of Jesus which must be related to eating of the tree of Life. Seed? Twice in all the bible is the phrase "her seed" used Rev 12:17 and Gen 3:15 the seed of the virgin whose flesh and blood we must eat for Life.)

(What is the trespass, sin that brought forth death?)
    Gen. 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

What trespass brought forth death that came through the man Adam?

Gen. 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed (the seed of death all mankind) and her seed;(the seed of Life of the virgin) it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

As I was saying all help and comments appreciated.

#26 percho, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because some were only given to the theocracy in israel...before the cross..

[QUOTE 3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. ][/QUOTE]

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then Yes or No: Does the decalogue have different applications or requirements for different people(s) at different times?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I could not vote because the correct answer was not in the list. Also I do not have a theory as I just accept what the scripture says.
    Sin is anything man does that is not done by faith even something as simple as eating and faith comes from the word if God.
    Rom 10:17
    So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
    Rom 14:23
    And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because [he eateth] not of faith: for whatsoever [is] not of faith is sin.

#29 freeatlast, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I mentioned above that the correct choice was not part of the survey, so I could not vote either.

Sin is our separation from God, for what is separated from God is not of God.

We are born in that state.

After that, virtually everything we do is sinful, first because we are separated from God, and second because we do all we do primarily out of our sinful nature including violation of God's decrees, commandments, Law, and yes, even His grace.

Only a super-natural re-birth which brings us back into right and redeemed relationship with God can cure our sin problem, and even then we will continue to practice our sin nature, though we are set free to not do so.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is it, then, you could not answer "Anything that violates applicable scripture, as I understand it"?

12. JesusFan

that answer would be hard for some here to "swallow", as they believe that its not our sinner nature at birth that estranges us from God, but that its when we freely chose to sin that happens!

they tend to see us as being sinners by choice, not due to actually being born as such due to the fall of Adam, and ALL of us now found by God to be "In Him"

13. JesusFan

actually, Law not given until Moses....

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sorry I am not understanding your question. Can you rephrase it or perhaps expand on it and I will try and answer it.?

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I understand... Yet, I can find NO place in Scripture that says otherwise.

We MUST HAVE Christ, and without Him there is no salvation.

We MUST BE born again from above, including our election, effectual call, regeneration, justification, adoption, faith/repentance, sanctification, perseverence, and ultimately, glorification.

We MUST agree with God, lest we remain entrenched in our rebellion and rebellion is sin.

However, God has the final say and the final option. We are helpless, cursed, spiritually dead, and all our works are as "filthy rags." We cannot reach out to God unless He first gives us that option, and even if we could reach out to God, the option is still, and always, His.

16. JesusFan

Think also that part of the problem is that some almost take a RCC view that God starts the salvation process, we co operate/assist Him to finish it off...

They tend to see JUST the faith in Christ aspect, and fail to see that is just a part of the entire salvation package which includes election, effectual call, regeneration, justification, adoption, faith/repentance, sanctification, perseverence, and ultimately, glorification.

start to finish, it is the work of God and Him alone!

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Not accoring to scripture. Our Part is to come to repentance towards God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.God and man working together to save some.

18. 12strings

12strings Active Member

regarding the "whatever is not of faith" verse. If "whatever is not of faith" is sin, does it necessary follow anything that IS "of faith" is not sin? If I sincerely believe I am obeying scriptures, is anything I do automatically NOT A SIN?

19. JesusFan

So God requires us to "give Him a hand" in saving us?

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No God requires us to accept Him saving us other wise He passes us by. God offers to do the saving all by Himself if we will do and accepting. Just like a drowning man. He does not help in the saving, remember he cannot swim, he just accept being saved or drowns. Election and free will working hand and hand.God elects to save and man freely chooses to accept or deny the salvation.

#40 freeatlast, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011