1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What makes the gospel appealing to the unbeliever?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

What make a life raft appealing to a drowning man? What makes water appealing to a man who is wandering in the desert?

If I put on a fireman's turnout gear and ran into your house saying, "Don't be afraid, I'm here to help you", you'd think I'd lost my mind.

However, if your house were on fire and you were trapped inside and I came in and said, "Don't be afraid. I'm here to help you", you would feel tremendous relief.

In the same way, the Gospel makes very little sense to the lost until they understand why they need the Gospel. The Good News is not good news unless the lost first understand the bad news of God's wrath.

In my case, I never thought twice about the Gospel until one night, on a little boat off the coast of St. Bart's, I read about Isaiah.

When Isaiah came face to face with God's holiness, he came completely unglued. I can almost picture him running about the sanctuary looking for a place to hide from God, like Adam and Eve did when they realized they were naked before God.

Isaiah wasn't just some guy off the street. He was God's own man. He had been ordained and set apart for God's service by God, Himself.

It wasn't until I realized that, if God's holiness is so great that His own prophet considered His own sinfulness before God and trembled, then how on Earth must God see me?

I started to really examine myself and the sins I'd committed in my lifetime and all of the ways that I had broken God's laws and I realized that I was in deep, deep trouble.

It was then and only then that the ground of my heart was ready to receive the seed of the Gospel.

2. Outsider

Outsider New Member

One thing that we need to keep in mind is that we all have different experiences. God is the creator and we are the creation. Simply put, He designed us and knows what buttons to push.
    We sometimes think that the way our eyes were opened is the only way. After all, if it worked for us, it should work for everyone. Truth is, it wasn't until I understood with the heart that I was not going to live forever. I always knew that I was going to die, but I never truly accepted it. I guess, when the thought came to me, I pushed it away. That was something that happens to other people.. not me.
    Other Christians have shared their experience with me. Some said that they could see true happiness in someone's life. A man watched an extremely poor man walk up and down the road where he lived everyday. The man was always smiling and full of life. The man was a preacher who lived in a shack. He had no money, rarely food. But the joy of God consumed his life. The other man noticed he had something he didn't. He wanted that life.
    Some have told me that it was the fear of going to hell when they died. The thought of going there was too horrible for them to even think about. So, they turned to the only one that can give them everlasting life.

My point is, we are all different. The way something is put to you may not interest me. The one thing we have in common is that God is the creator and we are the creation. He knows our hearts and He knows how to handle all situations. He knew who to send to you and when to send them and He told them what to say and how to act. The only way the scales could be removed from the disciples eyes was Christ. Look at how He done it with them.
    To some He simply said "Follow Me" and they did.
    To one, his brother brought him to Christ.
    Paul was knocked off his horse and blinded.

The Holy Spirit does the work. Without the Holy Spirit, we would all reject Christ and the gospel would not be attractive at all. We would think of it as foolish.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why do you suppose some people never believe? Why do they continually reject the gospel and Christ and eventually die unsaved?

I have a friend who has said several times that she wished she had my faith. (I would hope she would have more faith than me. :)) Yet, in spite of her self-loathing over her sins, she still won't surrender. Why?

4. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Hi Sister,

To answer this question throws us into an "Ism". Without throwing us in that direction, lets understand that God is 100% sovereign and we are 100% responsible. I cannot help what others think or do. I am however, responsible for the way I conduct my life and for every word that comes out of my mouth.

I will say that faith is a gift. God is the author and finisher of our faith. If she has a desire to have faith like you, that in its self, is a very good start. It can only be found in Christ and Christ uses us to deliver His message.

God's word will not return void. It will accomplish something. So lets focus on our duties and responsibilities. What we say, how we live, love one another, submit ourselves to God's perfect will. And lets not forget "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much!!!! Lets pray for your friend!

God bless you sister and I hope to hear from you again.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Can't argue with that! Thanks.

Welcome to the BB.

:godisgood:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture tells us they have exchanged the truth for a lie. To exchange anything, you must have it in the first place. They loved the darkness rather than the light. Quite simple.

7. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Hi Webdog,

I am curious, what scripture are you referring to?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Romans 1...
    24Therefore(AR) God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to(AS) the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25because they exchanged the truth about God for(AT) a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator,(AU) who is blessed forever! Amen.

9. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Amen. What made Jesus look good to the woman caught in adultery? Well, He saved her life and then showed her a new, much better one. What about the thief on the cross who accepted Christ at the very last moment? In that one moment Jesus offered him a chance to made up for what was most likely a life of crime. His whole life had meaning because of that moment. (MA 20:1-16)

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Mike, that's a wonderful testimony, and I suspect many of us could give similar testimonies.

But your testimony does not answer the question, how did you come to understand your plight? Was it all within you, just waiting for the right trigger? You used "I" a lot. I realized, I started to examine myself, I was in trouble. And of course, you did exactly that. But why then, and why not earlier? Why did Isaiah's experience get your attention at that moment and not earlier? Or was it the work of the Holy Spirit, opening your mind to spiritual things (I Cor 2:14), convicting you of your sin, and drawing you to repentance and faith? That is my testimony, anyway.

Now, one other observation. When God called Isaiah to preach to Judah, he told him what to preach, to warn them of their sinfulness and call them to repentance. Then read what else he said. It was, essentially, "but they won't listen because I have blinded them and clouded their minds so they can't." John in 12;37-41 said they would not because they could not. Don't ask me to explain that, but it's there.

We also have the unbelieving Jews who saw Jesus heal, raise from the dead, show authority over nature, and call them to repentance. Their reaction? They killed him.

So the the gospel becomes attractive when--and only when--God opens hearts,minds and understanding. I can't explain things any other way.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

God bless, my brother in the Lord.

12. Outsider

Outsider New Member

Webdog,
    Thanks. I am unfamiliar with that translation. Again, just curious, what version is that?
    Also, I can see what you are saying. But isn't that actually saying that they have changed the truth of God into a lie? Not that they exchanged the truth of God for a lie.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

It may be a difference in translations but it appears to tell us two different things.

Thanks for the reply.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That was the ESV. Here are others...
    NIV...22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

NASB...23and (AQ)exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and [d]crawling creatures.

NLT...25 They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

NKJV...25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

KJV...25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

It's apparent the most accurate rendering is "exchanged, traded". Only the KJV uses "changed", and I believe that is used in the same way exchanged is. To exchange, trade or even change anything...that thing must be in one's possession. All mankind possess the Truth to some degree. All men do not have faith in that Truth, however.

This quote by Dr. Tedd Tripp sums it up well: "Everyone does not have the obligation to ask every question, but everyone has the obligation to ask every question that he has"

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Most of them stumble at the "stumbling stone" of sin. They sought [salvation] not by faith, but as it were, by the works of the [flesh]. For they stumbled at the stumblingstone." Christ was put to an open shame on account of our sin that "whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed."

I believe many don't come because they would have to admit they are not good enough of their own motives, intentions, and beliefs..

skypair

15. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Thanks Tom for that post.
    The OP was not asking why some are not willing, but why some are.
    We all know why we are not willing.
    I wanted to discuss why we are willing.
    What makes us willing to believe?

Tom's post along with others says it is the work of the Holy Spirit.
    I agree.
    And what is that work?
    Tom's answer from above:
    And He uses all sorts of things to convict us(webdog named a few), but it His work of opening our hearts to repent that none can say, "I did it".

What causes one to find the Savior attractive while the other spurns Him is only to be found in the work of the Holy Spirit.

And if the Holy Spirit did the same work in all men, then wouldn't all men would be saved?
    As I was typing this Isaac Watts hymn came to mind.

“How Sweet and Awful is the Place”
    by Isaac Watts

How sweet and awful is the place
    With Christ within the doors,
    While everlasting love displays
    The choicest of her stores.

While all our hearts and all our songs
    Join to admire the feast,
    Each of us cries, with thankful tongues,
    “Lord, why was I a guest?”

“Why was I made to hear Thy voice,
    And enter while there’s room,