1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What on earth?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Isaiah40:28, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Webdog, SDA and Catholic are different categories for labels; they would correspond to Presbyterian or Baptist and have some objectivity to them. Your reductio ad absurdum misses the mark. I'm all for labels that reasonably have objective meaning, but "calvinism" and posters on this board have demonstrated to me that it's a useless term here (and other places).

Your "pelagian" label is an example that is similar to "calvinism" and it proves my point. You'd be surprised what gets called pelagian and compare it to what Pelagius and his followers like Julian of Eclanum really believed. If it's that hard to objectively define "pelagian," why bother wondering who is a "hyper-pelagian?"

BJ

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I agree with you Jack, but hang around here long enough, and you will notice at least one vocal proponent (Johnp) says unequivocally that God is the author of, and immediate cause of, sin.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Brandon, I can surely sympathize with your sentiment here. The evidence on this board indicates that there are many stripes of "Calvinists". So let's concede your argument for now - is there a good shorthand label other than "Calvinism" to use to describe someone's soteriological views that accord with the WCF, LBC and other "calvinist" confessions of faith? Or are you not into shorthand? :)

4. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Fair enough, shorthand is necessary for brevity. I don't have another label other than "doctrines of grace," but not too many people use that phrase and it's a little presumptuous. But I have long since been weary of dumb arguments against "calvinism" that surface from time to time here all because of the label itself and whose name it bears.

#24 Brandon C. Jones, Mar 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007
  5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isa 40:28

Pro 16:9 A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.
    Directing isn't unalterable nor is it an appointment or absolute control. Problem is not everyone will follow directions. In fact most don't.
    MB

6. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Why don't you exegete the verse in question?

7. russell55

russell55 New Member

Why don't you look up the word translated "directeth" to see what it means?

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

Why don't you look up the word translated "directeth" to see what it means?

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can that be? If it was a judgement for his sin then how did he sin in the first place if he had no inclination to sin?

Not a trick question.

HankD

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Russel;
    We all know what it means. Maybe it means something differently to you than what it means to me. We don't all take direction, if we did we wouldn't sin. The comandments are directives from God yet there isn't one man on this earth that has followed them perfectly. So why not give us your definition. Then prove it with scripture.
    MB

11. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

The verse is contrasting two things.
    We know that from the use of the conjunction, "BUT".
    In the first clause, man is said to "plan in his heart". Devise.
    So man is devising, planning, thinking.
    The second clause tells us that the LORD is determining something.
    Your translation says "directeth.
    Did you take time to look up that word and how it is used of God's activities?
    I did.
    It means establish, order, set straight.
    And it also means that it comes with a certainty.
    A confidence that cannot be shaken.
    To bring something into being such that it's existence is a certainty.
    As far is what God is directing, establishing, ordering, determining, etc. is man's "steps".
    Man's "way".
    The course of one's life.

And these two clauses are separated with the word "BUT", indicating a contrast is in place.
    The verse is contrasting man's plans with God's order and it says that it is God who orders man's way. God who establishes man's path or course.

12. russell55

russell55 New Member

Okay, I think I see where the miscommunication is. We're each using the word "inclined" differently. I wouldn't say Adam had "no inclination to sin" in the way you're using the word. Adam was able to sin before that fall, but his nature itself wasn't corrupted yet, so he wasn't in the same condition as fallen people are: not able not to sin. We don't have the ability be perfect, but Adam, as he was created, did. He wasn't perfect, but he started out with the abiltiy to be perfect.

I guess when I used the word inclined, I was thinking more of something like an inclined plane: the marble can roll in one direction only. After the fall, we're like marbles on an inclined plane. As soon as we can move, the direction is downward, away from God and toward sin.

Adam's situation, in that sense, would be more like a marble on a perfectly balanced plane. The plane tilts in the way the marble rolls.

13. russell55

russell55 New Member

The word has a range of meanings, just like every word does. See the definition here. You'll see it runs the range from number 1—mastermind, engineer, organize, orchestrate—through number 4 (which is the definition you are using)—give directions to; point somebody into a certain direction—to number 10—steer, maneuver, etc.

We need to figure out what force the word direct takes in this particular case. We do that by context, and by looking up the Hebrew word that direct translates. The underlying word has nothing to do with pointing someone in one direction, but rather with establishing something or determining something or making something certain. More like the first definition of direct in the English dictionary.

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I will thank you to express my belief properly Andy T, thank you. :)

john.

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Rom 11:32 For God has bound all men over to disobedience...

And if you think that this includes Adam then you are a determinist and if you think this does not then you are indeterminist russel? Which? Did Adam have free will or not?

john.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I for one am thankful that we are not pringles, stamped out in theological uniformity. People that generaly consider themselves Calvinists have disputes among themselves, just like non-calvinists. Calvinism is a definable theological term because I can "point" (no pun intended) to a set of doctrines that describe it. Hyper-calvinism can not be defined with any certainty. Those that have tried to do it (and as far as I know, all of them are Calvinists) have done nothing more than string together a few unrelated unorthodox doctrines and tried to make the label stick on the practitioners of those doctrines.

If any one needs proof that the reformed family is not monolithic, just take a look around the internet at the controversy J. McArthur has stirred up over his insistence on a dispy/premil view of eschatology, accusing non-premils of not being good Calvinists.

BTW I've decided to raise my flag as a committed Amil. And I've recently learned that I am a Clarkian presuppositionalist. Isn't learning big words fun? :)

17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Nice to know someone else has been there isn't JD? :) Sounds good.

I have been challenge by a person on one forum to go to a geological society here in Nottingham to speak with the boffins about life, the universe and everything. Please pray that I am not destroyed by science. :) Or the pub that we are going to visit after.

john.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is a boffin? Translate into American South for me.

19. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Scientists JD. :)

john.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll take your word for it. (no pun intended)
    And learning little words can be fun too!