1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What say you

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Nov 4, 2011.

?
  1. I would be totally in greement with all His laws and punishments

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Some are all right but some are too harsh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would not want to live under such laws

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. other

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Very disappointing to see how many people do not love God's law.

2. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I love God's law because it shows how utterly sinful I am and points me to the Lord Jesus Christ, who died in my place on the cross of Calvary!

The schoolmaster has done it's job!

Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

J.D. it is a hypocrisy that has crept into the church. We are a people who are hiding the truth from ourselves. People are claiming to love God and yet they want nothing to with His law. The truth is what we love is freedom from His law not for it. The bible says this;
    Jer 17:9 The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], and desperately wicked: who can know it?

The problem that man has is we try and judge our hearts by our hearts and it will deceive us every time. The only way to determined our hearts is through the word of God. Do we love the word of God and show it by seeking to obey it in our lives. A true lover of God loves His law.

In reading the responses most are trying to cover their disgust with the law by claiming grace or mercy. That is why I constantly said this is not about religion or salvation, but most keep returning to grace and mercy as a cover up for their disgust for His law. God's law is good and just for all times and it would be a blessing to be in a nation where its governing laws were used as the standards for the nation.

2Tim 3:1-5 says it best;

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
    For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy
    Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
    Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
    Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:

While it is possible to say "I love God" and even believe it, It is not possible for the statement to be true and not love and desire His law as the foundational tools to direct a nation and carry out justice.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Again this is not about religion or salvation.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

But didn't you suggest that you did not want his laws as the way to govern? I mean all the governing laws not part of them.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No I do not want to go under the 613 OT laws. Jesus said it was a burden too heavy to bear. He said to come unto Him all who are weary and heavy laden. The Jews were weary of trying to keep all those laws. What people need is a Savior, not more laws. Those that love God, will obey Him, and as a result, will not break the laws of our country.

Should we have laws? Absolutely! There will always be many that don't care about obeying God. And when our constitution was framed, it was with God's laws in mind. The problem with our society is not that we don't have laws, it's that they are not enforced. There can be no civilized society without laws to govern it.
    But our job as the body of Christ is to make disciples, not laws.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Amy you have on several occasions referred to 613 laws. There is simply no such thing. That was and is another Jewish thing where they took the ten and broke them down, and came up with 613 and the Mishnah which I have a copy of. Here is a couple for you to see. One in dealing with the Sabbath says that a woman should not look into a mirror on the Sabbath because she might see a grey hair and pluck it out and that would be work and sin. Another says that if a chicken lays an egg on the Sabbath it can be eaten but the chicken has to be killed on the next day because it worked on the Sabbath. Over the years many of the laws have changed depending on what Rabbi is in charge. Go here if you want to know about the 613 laws as they are not part of the bible. .http://askdrbrown.org/ask-dr-brown/...re-there-really-613-commandments-in-the-torah
    You keep trying to hide from the truth. Again this is not about religion or salvation.

#107 freeatlast, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
  8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

To say folks don't Love God because they say they wouldn't want to live under the Mosaic system doesn't mena they don't love God's law. Many of us ask what the O.P. menas and have yet to get a good answer other than just read the O.P. yet asking what was meant by it. Could you for instance take a year off every 7th year from the date the Israelites entered the land and keep the sabbaths? Would you be willing on the 50th year to have two straight years off and return property you had paid for back to the original owner? That is keeping the sabbath, not many of us could do that today. So don't say folks don't love God's law but we aren't under the law but under grace. Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you are suggesting our country be run by the OT Law, then it most certainly is about religion.

I'm not trying to hide from anything. I just don't know what you want.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No it is not about religion or salvation. You are hiding from the truth.
    Amy you have on several occasions referred to 613 laws. There is simply no such thing. That was and is another Jewish thing where they took the ten and broke them down, and came up with 613 and the Mishnah which I have a copy of. Here is a couple for you to see. One in dealing with the Sabbath says that a woman should not look into a mirror on the Sabbath because she might see a grey hair and pluck it out and that would be work and sin. Another says that if a chicken lays an egg on the Sabbath it can be eaten but the chicken has to be killed on the next day because it worked on the Sabbath. Over the years many of the laws have changed depending on what Rabbi is in charge. Go here if you want to know about the 613 laws as they are not part of the bible. http://askdrbrown.org/ask-dr-brown/...re-there-really-613-commandments-in-the-torah

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Then are you talking about the 10 commandments? Your OP is confusing. I'm not hiding. I really am ignorant of what you're wanting us to say. :laugh:

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No I am talking about the laws that the bible gives that deal with governmental laws, rulling the people in a nation so that there is peace and justice, but not the parts that deal with religious worship or religious elements.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 15
    4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them.
    5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
    6 And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
    7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
    8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
    9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
    10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Is Peter hiding from the truth?

Yes, I know "it's not about salvation go back and read the O/P".

FAL, personally I do love God's law simply because it is His law and if I were under the law I would keep each and every mitzvah to the best of my ability.

There seems to be a lack of understanding among many Christians concerning the purpose of the law.

It has been fulfilled in past tense.

Yet the law (every jot and title) remains in the Bible dispersed over all the world for the sake of the society to protect humanity both lost and born-again as a whole from the unregenerate and secondly as the scriptural means by which God reproves the unregenerate of sin.

So, it does have a present tense function but not for the children of God:

1 Timothy 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers.​

But for the saved this principle of life applies:​

Romans 13
    8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

You obliquely imply by your posts that you love the law. Well then go ahead then and keep the law FAL, every jot and tittle.

But know this you cannot pick and choose as you have implied from your O/P:​

James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.​

Galatians 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written,Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.​

Deuteronomy 27:26 Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen.​

Start with these:​

No pork:​

Deuteronomy 14:8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.​

Everything you wear must be all the same fabric, no mixed fabric:​

Deuteronomy 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.​

Also, you can only grown one crop in your garden:​

19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.​

OK so many of the 613 are interpretations of Jewish scholars but these I have given are taken directly from the scripture without interpretation from any Jewish authors.​

After you have straightened your life out according to just these three come back and see what else is required of you.​

I will be glad to accomodate you as your rabbi in how to keep every jot and tittle. ​

Of course there are some that are impossible to keep as the temple in Jerusalem does not exist and the levitical priesthood is lost and unidentifable among humanity.​

Read Exodus 30. You are required to go to Jerusalem to the temple and pay a half-shekel to the sons of Aaron just because you are a male (hope you are circumcised or they might kill you).​

Or Exodus 34 where you are instructed to go to the temple to "redeem" your firstborn. In fact all males must come three times a year to the temple to appear before the Lord...​

On and on, I can give you more, just ask.​

OR​

Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

I know, read the O/P.​

I have and 1) you cannot willy-nilly divide the law into components. It's either all or a curse and 2) the law presently is not for a the saved, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers.

So, IMO, your inquiry (if I am understanding it, which you have implied I have not) is invalid on these two counts.

HankD​

14. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Then don't respond if you do not like how it is worded.

15. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Honestly FAL, I think it is you who simply doesn't like the answers you are getting.

You seek to pull out from the whole Law, just those pieces YOU believe apply to governing a country. And I can see where you are going with this: "Well, if we had strong consequence like back in the OT, we wouldn't have so much teen rebellion/murder/injustice"

But you don't like the fact that scripture itself tells you that you CAN'T pull out certain parts of the law or you are guilty of violating the whole. It is YOU that doesn't like what you are hearing. (and I'm not going to repost scriptures that have already been posted in this thread)

Then you try to say that those of us who are glad God did away with the OT system of laws and governing must not love "God's commandments".

It isn't us who have a problem interpreting what you are trying to say, it is you that has a problem accepting that God doesn't intend for governments today to follow the OT system and that His commandments today are to LOVE and if you follow that one, you have followed them all.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Again this is not about religion or salvation.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

FAL, you can't take a religious law and make into something its not. OT law is by definition religious. You might not like it, but it is what it is.

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As one who has spent time in countries where "God's judicial laws" are the preeminent law of the land: God is good and just. Man is weak and sinful, and easily perverts God's laws to his own ends.

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The Jews even used a perverted application of the law to crucify Jesus.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Again, this is not about religion or salvation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.