1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What to look for in a new church?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by FriendofSpurgeon, May 11, 2010.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Scenario -- You are moving to a new town and there are several churches there.

What would you look for in a new church? What are the most important items (the non-negotiables) and what would be great to have, but not required?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Non-negotiables are the Bible taught and the fundamentals of the faith are followed.

If they are Biblically sound, good preaching style is important too. The message may be great but a bad delivery is terrible. I want a pastor who can communicate God's Word to me well.

Music is very important to us and the music must be good. We prefer more modern worship but if there is no good church around that has modern worship, we will be happy to go to any church that is Biblically sound and the music doesn't stink.

Children's ministry is important to us too since we have kids in there. The youth group needs to have kids of quality and not just kids coming to a club. I want tough teaching to the kids - they need it.

Outreach of some sort and good missionaries who are not just supported by money but my other resources and the heart. I love that about our church - our missionaries are all personal friends of the church.

Men and women who love the Lord with all their hearts. Yes, not everyone who will go to a church will be like this but I want the vast majority to be strong believers who still are growing in the faith.

The leadership, whatever it is, is led by the Spirit and listens to Him!

That's all I can think of right now. :)

3. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

• A church that puts the emphasis on Christ.
    • A church that focuses on studying and living God's word.
    • A church that is rooted in prayer.
    • A church with a compasion and concern for the lost.
    • A service oriented church.