1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What type of a Baptist are you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The simple truth is that if it were not for the electing Grace of GOD not one person would be saved.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So drop the other shoe will ya brother....that you are to be
    On your knees thanking Him for making you one of the Elect....but of course that's unfair to the humanist thinking process. Ahhhhhh, but you ain't GOD so tough.:smilewinkgrin:

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is allowing sinners who refuse to receive christ to get 'thy will be done"

5. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, brother! Welcome! Sad that apparently "Baptist" isn't what it used to mean when I was growing up. :tear:

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are we to assume that you never encountered or even heard of Baptists while growing up that were :

non-IFB
    non-KJVO
    non-pretrib
    non-premil

Hmmm...?

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Old Regular Baptist
    5-point Calvinist
    Baptism via immersion
    Acapella music...especially lined-out hymnodies
    Non-paedobaptist
    Open communion believer

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm the kind that can pronounce the word "baptist" without saying "bappadiss".

9. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

WARNING!! ---- With a post like this one, you just might be subject to being BANNED from BB!!

Other folks have been summarily banned for making such bold and brazen statements as this, my friend!!

:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::laugh::laugh:

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ONLY lable that honestly did not hear around Baptists until joining this Board was reformed ones!

11. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian, does that make me Free Will? Or is there more to it than that?
    If not, I have no idea what type of baptist I am. lol I'd guess SBC?

12. Still Standing

Still Standing New Member

I know this is going to really bother some folks, but I don't believe that a Calvinist can even be a Baptist in the true sense of the word. John Calvin was certainly not a Baptist, so how does one call themselves by the name of a theologian who is NOT baptist, and still be a Baptist in theology? Calvin was influenced by Martin Luther, and Luther certainly wasn't Baptist. Luther says very plainly that he was heavily influenced in his own theology by the writings of Augustine, and anyone who has ever read Augustine's Confessions without pre-held suppositions knows that Augustine was an unregenerate Catholic by his own testimony.

A "Reformed" Baptist? A "Covenant Theology" Baptist? We may as well add "Charismatic" Baptist, Universal (catholic) Church Baptist or "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Baptists".

You can not be a protestant and a Baptist. The Baptists historically were never in the Catholic Church or the Church of England. They never tried to "Reform" or "Protest" the teachings of these churches from the inside, then came out. And that is what those terms historically refer to.

Every time I hear someone proudly and contentiously label their theology with another man's name, be it Calvin or Arminius or whoever, I can't help but think of the carnal, proud, bombastic church in 1 Corinthians. Two thousand years later, we never did really learn anything, did we?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What an interesting school:smilewinkgrin:

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Welcome to BB.....SS-

How do you define.....a Baptist? If you say that you are a Baptist, and someone asks you what is that? how do you explain it to them?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then, what is your definition of Baptist? And is reverand Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson Baptist Ministers?

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are completely uninformed about Church History? Have you heard of Calvinistic Baptists such as : Basil Manly Sr and Junior, J.P. Boyce, P.H. Mell, John L. Dagg, John A. Broadus to name only a few from just the 19th century?
    Do tell.

One's theology has to be more full-orbed than just a belief in credo-baptism. Unfortunately many who identify themselves as Baptists with a capital B are heterodox. It is not a badge of orthodoxy to merely be baptistic.
    Anyone? Really? There are a number of conservative Baptist preachers and Bible scholars who certainly do not regard Augustine with your ill-informed contempt. They will readily acknowlege his shortcomings --but greatly value his tremendous contributions to the Faith once delivered.
    Yes, merely saying one is a Baptist is not enough. There are many wearing the label who are outside the realm of biblical Christianity. The word "Baptist" is a catch-all term. It's not nearly descriptive enough.
    Of course one can. You are without knowing it.
    Ah, but history doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

17. Still Standing

My definition of Baptist is going to be just that, “mine”. I realize this. To me, “Baptist” is historically not a denomination but a core collection of Biblical beliefs held by certain people carrying different labels down through the centuries. They were never part of any organized, central religion, such as Catholicism or the Church of England or the Dutch Reformed Church. They have always been “separatist” in practice, fundamentalist in theology and minority in number. They hold to belief in the plenary inspiration of scripture, the virgin birth of Jesus, the trinity, the deity of Christ, salvation by grace through faith in the blood of Christ, total submersion baptism of a professing believer as a visible testimony of the new birth , eternal security of the believer and the second coming of Christ.
    Many denominations hold most or all of these points in some form or another. Of course I know this. The thing is, at least to my way of thinking, to understand what a historical Baptist is it’s sometimes easier to figure out what he is not.
    What do I mean by that?
    What is coffee? To know the true essence of coffee in this day and age, you’re often gonna’ have to remove everything else first. Let’s remove the whipped cream, the chocolate, the milk, the sugar and the pumpkin spice and we are able to finally taste the actual coffee. You say “But I got it at a Starbuck’s Coffee Shop and it was clearly labeled “coffee”. Well, there was coffee in it, but you couldn’t recognize it for all of the other stuff that had been added to it. Yet it still carried the label “coffee”, and even a faint hint of the flavor.
    We say “But I got this doctrine at a Baptist church and it said “Baptist” right on it”. Well, there may have been Baptist in it, but you couldn’t recognize it for all of the stuff added .
    Reformed theology was an addition. Calvinism was a later addition. So was Arminianism, Covenant Theology, Replacement Theology… you get the picture.
    I believe that if you can trace your theology to some specific fellow or fellows back in the dusty, dim eons of the Europe of the Reformation, men who came along 1000 to 1600 years after Christ and Paul, who were trying to sweep through the cobwebs of their own dead false church and find a new way, you are adding to the coffee. You are not a Baptist.
    Now, having said all of that, let me say this. I am nobody. My views are mine own, and although they have been hard won and held dear over a lot of years down in the mud, the blood and the tears on the front lines in the ministry, they are just my views. And I am just…me. And while me doesn’t mind expressing his beliefs, views or opinions where adults are having a grown-up discussion, me is not interested in a fight.

18. Still Standing

To answer the other question above, all I know about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson is what I've seen on the news regarding their race baiting, trouble making histrionics. I know nothing about their church background. I do know I would never call either one of them "Reverend" just from what I see of their public life.

19. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and hallelujah! What breath of fresh air you are!

20. Still Standing

First, my friend, ease up. It's OK. you don't have to agree with me, you don't have to even like me, but there's no need to get so wound up. I have a view different from yours, but I'm not your adversary.

Yes, I have heard of many "Calvinist Baptists of the 19th century". I never said there were never Calvinists who called themselves Baptist. I said I don't believe the label is accurate. You can call yourself whatever you want. Our president can call himself a conservative if he wants to. I would have to look at the history of the word "conservative" and just shrug. Oh, well.

No, I'm not a protestant. I don't protest the sins of "the mother church". I preach Jesus. I know what the word means and from whence it came. I'm not uneducated, my brother. Far from it. I preach and teach to the uneducated, unchurched, the lowly and the common, and I tend to simplify and illustrate because of that, but do not make the mistake of writing me off and condescending to me as an ignorant rube. I would not retaliate, of course, but you would give me great personal amusement as I read your posts.

I care nothing for the opinion of anyone else regarding Augustine. It does not invalidate my point. If they were caught up in the flowery language and missed what he actually said, they are not alone. He was a renown orator in his own day, and has been for centuries.

I do not hold one single belief because some other man does, or because it was taught to me. I have spent years with my Bible, my Webster's 1828 dictionary and a concordance, prayerfully searching out Biblical truth. Every single other book I ever read, every professor, teacher or pastor I have ever heard was laid out before the Lord and my Bible and put to the test. "God, is this true?"

So, to shake me, to convince me, to even irritate me a little bit, you will have to pull out something more than just " So-in-so says, teaches and believes..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.